I Need honda help.

My sons girlfriend  has a 1987 accord. the other day her timing bet broke while going 65. Is this engine gong to be ok, or do we have a bunch of bent valves? 

i looked online and some say its interference engine and others say it isn't. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are probably going to be ok. 

Do you have an air compressor and a compression tester?

Timing cover will need to come off to replace belt. Get to that point. 

Take the hose that fits your motor and remove the schraeder valve from it. 

Each cylinder will need to be on TDC. Inject air to hear if it leaks. 

If no abnormal conditions-carry on with replacing the timing belt. 

I have seen many Hondas break timing belts, and heard of many more.

I have not seen a single one that has needed a new head. 

Not saying it doesn't happen-just that I have not heard of one needing it. 

GL!

I had a buddy who walked a belt three times in his Honda and it was interference too.  They seem to close up the valves pretty quickly when they break, because he never had to do any head work on his either.  Nissans on the other hand, yeah, they'll hit.  And it will be bad.

I had a buddy who walked a belt three times in his Honda and it was interference too.  They seem to close up the valves pretty quickly when they break, because he never had to do any head work on his either.  Nissans on the other hand, yeah, they'll hit.  And it will be bad.

So true. 

I have seen so many VQ35DEs eat valves. 

My experience has been about 50/50.

same here. i have done probably 10 honda timing belts and some have hit and grenaded, some have been perfectly fine and one you could see the marks on the pistons from valves hitiing but not bad enough to break anything. but it was a honda so zero fucks given just drive the fuckin thing. i had an 86 civic and the fucking camshaft broke in half on the freeway. i literally had to pay someone to take that pos away.

Front broken timing belt?  Chain...?

Chain driven motor. 3 chains.

1 for each head then one big one to spin the whole thing. 

Believe it or not-dowel pins falling out of the cams that clock the timing gears. 

They do have/had bad chain tensioners and guides-but I have not seen that be the cause of failure. 

Frontier, Xterra, Pathfinders VQ40DE are prone to everything I posted as well. 

Similar situation with my Eclipse. Timing belt slipped getting on the freeway, car takes half a shit, barely running. Pull over, takes the rest of the shit and wont start back up. Took it to my mechanic and he said he couldn't turn the crank without hitting something. He's gonna put the new belt on Monday, praying for a miracle, but if not, I'm screwed.

Similar situation with my Eclipse. Timing belt slipped getting on the freeway, car takes half a shit, barely running. Pull over, takes the rest of the shit and wont start back up. Took it to my mechanic and he said he couldn't turn the crank without hitting something. He's gonna put the new belt on Monday, praying for a miracle, but if not, I'm screwed.

It's possible that the timing components are just jammed up in there making it hard to turn over. 

A cylinder leakage test prior to just slapping a belt on is quicker and will be cheaper. 

No need to do work if you know it will do nothing to benefit your cause. 

Its 50/50 with Hondas, sometimes they do, sometimes they dont. A lot of times they do. D engine is your best bet on not having an issue.

B engines you will likely break shit.

C 50/50

NSX C, dead beyond a shadow of doubt.

F 50/50

S2000 F, Dead beyond a shadow of doubt (if snapped chain, or non-pressured tensioner)

H, 80/20 Dead.

D, meh, maybe

K, Dead beyond shadow of doubt, ( if the oil pressure fed chain tensioner does not tension, or chain snap)

R- No fookin idea.