pondking

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Thinking about coil overs for my mostly stock 69 510 / l16 wagon. It's used for street driving so I don't want it to stiff. I'm using ZX struts with 510 springs with one coil cut off. I think it's around 110 lbs spring rate. Thinking of using t3 coilover with 150 lbs springs. Anyone using this spring? How do you like it?

I would go with lower tires. You could also fit 280ZX rears springs & cups which are smaller diameter.

Aftermarket small-diameter coils give you the most flexibility when lowering. The only problem is finding normal spring rates but as mentioned 150 lbs are not too bad, and help with cornering as long as the rear is stiffened up too.

• 2 weeks later...

So I went for techno toy tuning = t3 coil overs with 150lbs springs. I had already rebuilt the whole front end 6 months ago so I pulled the struts out and tig welded the rings on for the threaded collar stops. I put it all back together in the middle of the threaded sleeve so it can adjuster 3.5" up or down from where it is now. It is a little over an inch lower in the front now from my last set up of ZX struts with stock 510 springs with one coil cut and perches as low as possible. It could go no lower with that set up. Now probably 3" lower in front than stock and 2" blocks in the rear. I added 1" bump steer spacers also. Tires are 185/60/14. Going to drive it for a week, see how everything works and if the height needs adjusting then tighten everything back up and get it aligned. This should be all I need chassis wise. By the way if you are thinking about coil overs, ONLY buy t3, they are made so nice, are great to go way low and the owner is very helpful. See y'all at Canby!

imagejpg7_zpscdb996fa.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsd2e6c794.jpg

imagejpg9_zpsadd2d449.jpg

I have an SR20 510 2 door set up for a streetable Auto-X car. It’s lowered, but not slammed by any means. It has a 6 point roll cage, Troy Ermish camber plates, his coils with 250lbs springs front and rear, bump spacers tuned for exact ride hight, 1 1/8 roll bar front, 3/4 rear, and spherical joints all round. I wouldn’t describe the ride as comfy, but it’s rock solid cornering with zero body roll or bump steer, and soaks up railroad crossings like there’s nothing there. 

You need to consider how you’re going to use your car and build it for that purpose. A super low street cruiser with coils might look the look, but it won’t be a comfy ride, and it will handle like a twitch little monkey. That’s the last thing you want If you plan on swapping an SR with anywhere near 10psi of boost. If you go that route I highly recommend a cage. The 510 was designed around a 100hp 90lb torque power plant, and although the mono-body is stout, 300hp will turn it into a pretzel right quick. 

I’ve owned a few 510s with good non-coil set ups, a L18 with manufacture rally suspension, a L20 slightly lowered track car, and drove a buddies goofy foot slammed 510 (scariest fuek’n thing I ever drove). All fun in their respective purpose, but something magic happens when you stiffen shit up and add coil overs, it’s like flipping the go switch on a dime. Personally I think it would be a serious waste of valuable resources to get coils so you can lower your car. There are cheeper and better ways to do that. You want street bling you’d do better to spend your money on sick rims, and a JDM grill. You want to drive your SR 510, I can recumbent Troys stuff from experience. The shit rocks.

• 2 weeks later...

just another vote of confidence for T3.

i bought a set of the front 280zx coilovers for my dime and the powdercoating was clogging up the bolt holes on the bottom.

they sent me a tap (at no charge) to chase the threads and clean them out. worked without a hitch.

they even offered to replace them if the tap didnt work and the chance that the threads might be crossed.

install went super smooth after the tap cleared out the powdercoating.

kudos to T3 for great customer service and product support!