Rebuild your Brake MC

jvb5577

During my build I read a lot on here about people getting reman. MCs and them not working.  Instead of wasting money I figured I would just rebuild my OE one.  Its a win win!  You get to keep your OE look but have a new MC!

Tools you will need:

+ Flat head screw driver

+ 17mm wrench

+ 10mm wrench

+ A pick (black handle one in picture)

+ Needle nose pliers

First you will use a 10mm wrench to remove the reservoirs.  There are baskets inside of them to keep contaminants out of the system.

IMG_0866.jpg

You will now need the flat head screw driver to remove the ring and washer that holds the internals in.

IMG_0868.jpg

Take your 10mm wrench and remove the bleeder nipples and a flat head to remove the screw.

IMG_0871.jpg

IMG_0872.jpg

Take your 17mm wrench and remove the bottom two nuts

IMG_0869.jpg

IMG_0870.jpg

Now you can pull the pistons out of the MC.  First one will have a dense spring

IMG_0873.jpg

The next one will have a spring that widens

IMG_0874.jpg

Here is what they look like inside the MC

IMG_0875.jpg

You can see how the rubber is warped and worn.  Not good for keeping a seal!

IMG_0876.jpg

Now you will use your "pick" to brake the seal around the channel as shown

IMG_0881.jpg

Then take your needle nose pliers and remove the rubber guides.  A spring will be attached to them.

IMG_0883.jpg

Now you will want to check your walls in your MC for grooves.  If you see any then your MC is junk and you will have to get a new one.  Mine was very clean.  (Hard to see in the picture)  If everything checks out, clean your MC with brake cleaner.  Make sure to remove as much junk as you can.

IMG_0877.jpg

Now your ready to rebuild them!   This is the kit I used.  Raybestos MK1093

IMG_0885.jpg

It contained all of this.

IMG_0886.jpg

Prelube your rubbers on your pistons so they slide into the MC easier.  Just use brake fluid but make sure it is clean!  *Remember flared spring goes first*

IMG_0887.jpg

IMG_0888.jpg

Install the guides with springs and follow the instructions on the picture for the guides.  *It matters what one goes where*

IMG_0890.jpg

IMG_0889.jpg

IMG_0891.jpg

Use your 17mm wrench to tighten back down the bottom nuts.  This will compress everything back down.

IMG_0893.jpg

Install the washer and clip back into the front to hold the pistons inside.

IMG_0895.jpg

Replace the rubber washer with the new one supplied in the kit.  *this goes on the screw*

IMG_0892.jpg

Use your 10mm and flat head screw driver to tighten everything back down

IMG_0896.jpg

Install your reservoirs *remember clap goes on then put reservoirs on* and tighten with a 10mm and put in your baskets and your done!

IMG_0898.jpg

• Like 3
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great pictures.

You really ought to run a hone down the bore a few times though.  This will get rid of most grooves or ridges.  The ridges occur where the seals stop their travel, and three of those locations are too deep to be able to feel with your finger.  You can pick one up at the local parts store.  It plugs right into your electric hand drill.  Use some honing oil with it.  It usually comes with medium grit hones, but fine grit hones can be ordered.

3-stone-hone.jpg

Great pictures.

You really ought to run a hone down the bore a few times though.  This will get rid of most grooves or ridges.  The ridges occur where the seals stop their travel, and three of those locations are too deep to be able to feel with your finger.  You can pick one up at the local parts store.  It plugs right into your electric hand drill.  Use some honing oil with it.  It usually comes with medium grit hones, but fine grit hones can be ordered.

3-stone-hone.jpg

My dad actually has one of these. (was wondering what you would use such a small hone for) now I know!  I know what you are talking about deep in the MC.  I used a dull dental pick to check these areas. The MC came out of a low miles truck and was in good working order when removed.

I think if your MC is really bad to where you need to hone it, you should just toss it.  Since they don't make larger rebuilds for a hone brake fluid will just squeeze by the rubbers and the walls.  Just my two cents...  This is the first one I rebuilt so we will see.

wow i wouldve never thought that wear could occur in the cylinder and to hone it down. interesting. 

only thing i would add (even though no one asked me) is to use gloves when handling brake fluid :P

I have rebuilt wheel cylinders and lightly polished with fine steel wool. The last MC was the 15/16" from a zx and was spotlessly clean inside. The seals can wear the casting if dirt gets in. Always clean the reservoir caps off before removing to add fluid. 

Great pictures.

3-stone-hone.jpg

Good info.Taking one step further,after you hone it,take a dentist pick and start feeling all over the bore.If it catches on anything,that is pitting from corrosion and the cylinder is junk-throw it out. The corrosion comes from water in the system. This is why brake systems need to be flushed on a regular basis.

Good info.Taking one step further,after you hone it,take a dentist pick and start feeling all over the bore.If it catches on anything,that is pitting from corrosion and the cylinder is junk-throw it out. The corrosion comes from water in the system. This is why brake systems need to be flushed on a regular basis.

Flushing your brake system... who does that?  :P