New here, finally got me a 74 620

kevins750

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Auto's by nature seem to slip. Check the fluid, full and red? It's fine then. In due time loose the rear bumper, side mirrors and lower it a couple of inches all round. Lots of info and help here for doing that here. Looks good now.. it'll look even better later.

Hello to all, I am new around here...My plans for the truck are just to get the tranny properly working and address the floorboard issue and then run it.....I am new to Datsun's but have been around econoline's, jeep's and motorcycle's most of my life....Got quite abit of work to do, and this may not have a great candidate but not much to choose from around here....Anyway I will be around asking questions and hopefully helping out eventually....Kevin

You will want one that came from behind the L20. The transmission from behind the NAPZ motor will bolt up to the motor but has a different lean and will not bolt up to the transmission cross member.  1980 was the only year that the 720 came with the L series motor.

The bells on the 3N71B are removable. If you have a '74 automatic take the bell of it and swap onto the 720 auto.

Now having said that,.... there was a change made to the '81-'82 automatics. Not sure of the exact date and the owner probably doesn't know the year anyway. What Nissan did was introduce a locking torque converter. It is fully automatic and over a certain speed it locks the torque converter. It is not a 4th gear but it does drop the revs slightly. The torque converter and the flex plate are much different than the '74 620s.

Now the one in the picture may not have this in which case this is a simple bell housing swap. If it does have the torque converter lock out then you will need the 720 flex plate and converter that comes with it.

Really hard to tell from this picture.  The flex plate looks pretty flat to me.

00v0v_3HloVwOWzXz_600x450.jpg

Regular 3N71B left and locking converter type right. Transmission side shown.

enginedriveplates78620and88D-21Larg.jpg

EDIT

Looks like a simple bell swap. I checked into this and the locking TC was introduced 11 / '82 when the Z24 motor started being used.

• Like 1