Want some advice.... On the fence about a KA24DE swap...

mhub91

Here's the rundown....

I've got a '79 Datsun Stanza / HLA510 and I've received a great running KA24DE full swap. ECU, Harness, Trans and everything else from a good friend for free. (W ell, I swapped an SR into his 240sx so he gave me his KA)

I'm just looking for some advice. 

Should I sell the DOHC KA for some $$$ to fund a L20 build, or swap the KA?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Swap that beast in! Sounds like you have most of what you need and also the know-how to get it done. It would be awesome to see a later model 510 with a swap :w00t:

I think you're right. Stanza 510's, for one, aren't common. And they're most definitely not common with a DOHC KA swap either.

Stay Old School, The way the car was meant to be driven. Dont toss in some modern DOHC which will ruin the classic driving experience, which is why you got a Datsun in the first place. A mildly built L20b with a set of Mikunis or Webers is going to sound 100x more badass and unique than some stamped out KA motor. Build it yourself and you will realize the satisfaction is so much more than slapping in a pre-built engine. The KA is also much heavier than the L20b which will throw off the light precision handling of the car.

The KA is barely heavier than the L20B. 

Light precision handling from an A10. Ha. Funny guy. 

Heavy, clunky, 4 linked 80's rice box. Not quite the same 510 as previous iterations.

Mmmm...fuel injection goodness. Winter driving FTW. 

I say get some. 

Not many to be found on the web, so you may be on your own for most of it. 

I doubt it will be difficult. 

Watching!

You should thrash the fuck outta the L20b and the weakass 4spd,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, then swap.

not joking   :)

This.

Seriously though, stomping the crap (and tinkering with) my L18 has been a riot while I got to know my car. Also gave me time to to learn it inside and out, collect the parts I need for my swap and take care of anything that needed doing before dropping a major power plant in. The L series will always have a piece of my heart and it is truly unreal how much abuse they will take!

• Like 1

Ill sell you a perfect L20 to build plus some cash for your KA stuff... Im just up the road from you :) Hell, the L20 is in Tacoma haha. 

As mentioned youll be a pioneer as Ive not heard of many KA-A10s. Youll have to head out into unknown territory to get the swap done. Im sure its nothing crazy, but there still will be some speed bumps youll have to work out on your own. 

L-Series are a great engine and I think any well built L20 will be a blast to drive. Throw in a decent cam, an upgraded carb, and an EI dizzy mated up to a 5-spd and you should be a fucking star. 

Stay Old School, The way the car was meant to be driven. Dont toss in some modern DOHC which will ruin the classic driving experience, which is why you got a Datsun in the first place. A mildly built L20b with a set of Mikunis or Webers is going to sound 100x more badass and unique than some stamped out KA motor. Build it yourself and you will realize the satisfaction is so much more than slapping in a pre-built engine. The KA is also much heavier than the L20b which will throw off the light precision handling of the car.

What's modern about a KA?

• Like 1

off topic, but OK - Here's my next question for you fellas, which is seriously embarassing due to the fact I'm a toyota tech and have a mecca of tools..... but does anyone have an engine hoist i can borrow in the tacoma area?

anyway, I have abused the HELL out of that L20 I'm very pleased with how those little guys hold up. Surprisingly the A10 can light'em up!

And I've contacted the dude selling can/am's and I'm saving for one now. I'm certain I've got the hardest part of all out of the way, and that's getting the KA.

But now, throw some ideas at me for what I'll need, or problems I may encounter....

I think I've read somewhere that someone said i'd need larger fuel lines... why?

Shoot!

If you are building up the KA for power you might need larger lines.

If you plan to keep it stock the stock lines should be fine. You will want to change out all the stock rubber lines for the high pressure fuel line.

You will need to pick up a fuel pump, I used an airtex E1000 inline pump on my 620.  

• 1 month later...

I too have a 86 720 and im trying to get some information on someone who has done ka24de swap. Was it hard adjusting the motor mounts and tranny? What will I need besides the engine, tranny, ecu and harness?

Your own thread?

It should be really straight forward for your purposes.