Types of license plate light.

vanmansam

Anyone wanna outline the different styles there are for both wagon and sedan?
I know theres the style with two lights on each side of the plate but that all I know of. My wagon has no holes in the hatch so I am assuming theres other styles besides that.
Also anyone with pictures of how the wiring is routed on the wagon would be awesome.   My wagon has no existing wiring left going to the hatch and no license plate light so I am wondering about my options to make my car street legal.  Will i need to remove the headliner to wire it up?  My headliner is original and in decent shape so I would like to avoid that.

Thanks guys

• Like 1
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was not shaved, I have the interior panel missing and you can clearly see smooth factory punched sheet metal.  Car was completely stock accept for wheels and mirror. I think theres about a half inch hole centered above the license plate now that i think about it maybe that's for a bulb? :rolleyes:   dont have the car with me otherwise i would just post up pics.  

I know all the cars panels were original when i got it, all the paint matches and theres no signs removal like scratches ect.

Still doesnt explain the wiring situation though.

The hole above the license may be the key lock / push button for opening?

If the hatch has no lamps or place for lamps or any indication there were ever lamps on either side of the license plate then... it has to be a, Oct '67 to Sept. '68 (or a '68 model year goon) hatch.  I don't know what they had in Mehico.

The bumper to Sept '68 had a license light in it and none after as they were mounted on the tailgate.

It's 43 years old and lots of stuff may have been swapped. Maybe in '70 it was rear ended and a '68 tailgate put on an painted at a shop?

The horizontal vents just under the rear window... are they chromed plastic or metal!!!

wagonrear1.jpg

wagonrear.jpg

will either be one of these, so if you have no holes on your hatch and no wiring inside for a light, then either cars hatch was replaced, molded out and they just did a hell of a job that youc ant tell, or its a mexican wagon, stock or not, would be no exception, nissan would not of forgotten  the plate light. 

Looking at your pics, im pretty damn sure thats a 68 hatch... Just went through your build thread to look at all of that.

definitely looks like a 68 hatch in your build thread man.

Give him some time guys. He just found out that evqerything he thought he knew about his car is a lie :(
  • Like 1

Give him some time guys. He just found out that evqerything he thought he knew about his car is a lie :(

MSTE3iv.jpg?2

My car is on the Right.  You can clearly see crash damage poorly repaired on the back drivers side.  Okay, so hatch was replaced.  we got that. SO its a 68 hatch.

But reason I even asked this.  I want/need a license plate light.  Options would be? Get the period correct 70 and newer lights (lol im keeping metal vents fersure)?  Or none at all?  I have never even seen a bumper mounted light for sale.  Opinions?

Van. Just find a 68 bumper light, i know theres a few around for sale, their around 100-150 bucks, then just drill into the bumper.  Some dont like drilling into the bumper and finding the appropriate 68 bumper, problem is the bumper is harder and WAY more expensive than the light. Ill look and link some for sale, but its what i suggest you do.  Then all you do is run a wire from the parking lights under and into the bumper and to the plate light, and your done.  At least then youve only drilled into teh bumper, and given yourself the way cooler looking 68 light, and not drilling into the hatch to put the ugly hatch lights in. SPend the money and do it right :)

What you can do in the mean time is visit a motorcycle shop and see about lights. I've seen some bikes with bolts that have built in LEDs to illuminate there plates.

Since I installed my center garnish I have no plate lights. I've just been coming home early but eventually will need something. Until I source a 68 light and bumper, I'll have to make due.

Well I have a 68 light sourced, imma buy that and just drill a hole in the bumper.  The way Dan put it to me was its *better* to put holes in an easy to find 1970 bumper than primo 68 hatch (and I agree, I even have a set of spare bumpers...).  Plus I like the early style plate lamp.

Thanks for all the input guys!  Love this place for just this reason

• Like 1

Don't know about the later goons, but my Aussie spec goon has the early bumper with the light mounted on it.  Underneath, there is a hole for the wiring harness to come through the rear valance to get to it.  I just happen to be working in that area and have a photo..

jkhol.JPG

• Like 1

^^^These!!!

However I must add that I was pulled over at dusk one time because the Nevada State Trooper or whathaveyou "could not read my plate" (with 2 of those LED bolts).  I blame the non-reflectorized old style plate and his apparent hate for classic J-tin.  I have since added one of the stock lights and it is fine.  Maybe 4 of those LED bolts would be sufficient, but then you have to drill the lower holes out :(.

I like the idea of the little bulbs you posted, but one thing your forgetting that I mentioned is that there is no exposed wiring for the hatch light, so I would have to partially pull the headliner to find the wiring or route new wires up the D pillar somehow. The 68 style lamp is actually the easier option in regards to wiring, plus I already bought a 68 style light.  

And i discovered that my extra set of bumpers are older and already have the hole in them for the lamp, so i wouldn't be drilling anything.  :thumbup:

• Like 1