Thanks Japan, Radioactive Waste Released into the Pacific Ocean

"Plutonium is the only thing they reprocess it into, and that is only used for weapons. Death, destruction, and doom, weapons.

oh yeah, if you need a low power source for like 50 years in space it works for that too, but there is no planet based productive use for the stuff. "

Reply of a sorts.

France came up with the gas cooled breeder reactor concept about 25 years ago which was Plutonium based. Major coverage in "Scientific American".   By configuring the core ingredients and orientation of the rods the reactor would breed up, down or neutral, so a "practical" civilian use for Plutonium is possible.  To support this gas cooled breeder reactor France built a fuel reprocessing system, and that is where Japan has the majority of it's spent fuel reprocessed.

The space probe power systems are a crude thermocouple concept powered by the heat generated by the redioactive decay of Plutonium into various lower atomic number elements, eventually ending up in various isotopes of lead.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad I'm not the only one who laughed at arbitrary units.  But really, this kind of shit is still concerning.  The news story aside, playing with shit that can potentially kill millions when someone fucks up is naive.  I love science and I was on board with nuclear power because of its scale, but I've changed my tune.  There are viable clean energy sources, and we need to tap that shit in full.  Look at it this way, Fission power is real.  We have a massive Fission power plant up in space and we have the capability to harness enough energy from that to power all things.  And at night, we have the earth (Geothermal) to keep us glowing.  Fucking people.    

• Like 1

people are the problem with this planet, we should get rid of em'

Say 1/5th???? How about 1.5 billion poison pills mixed into 6 billion placebo pills. Everyone takes a pill new years eve?

Well what do we do with 1.5 rotting corpses? and all the carbon dioxide and greenhouse gasses they make? Cremate them? lol  Feed to zombies?

Instead of greenhouse gas reduction limits or carbon taxes how about population limits that roll back the present world population to several billion? and not just to zero growth.? It takes two people to make just one child. In one generation we would have half as many new people. In a hundred years all alive today will be gone. In four generations half of half of half as many new persons. Once under control raise it to two children per couple.

• Like 1