Insurance and our Datsuns..

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of insurance are you guys using on your rides?

Right now I have "liability" but I want full coverage can that be possible??

It depends on what you use it for, if it's a restored classic that gets driven maybe once a week, classic car insurance, if it's a daily driver, that is a little tougher, the value is going to be the sticky point, if it's not new, it's just a piece of junk to most insurance companies, they just don't understand.

• Like 1

You can get a certified appraiser to give it a value.  As long as you have this done before any incident, you should have leverage.  I did with State Farm.  They covered anything up to the appraised value of $11,500.  They were happy as hell that I preferred to get a used fender and a paint job, over the claim value.  Had I pushed for the claim value, I wonder if they would have fought it.  I'll never know.  The best part, I had just switched from no fault to comprehensive four days before a tree fell on my car.  I never stopped counting my blessings on that one.  

Also start a build thread to document the time effort and expense incurred building or bringing your car up to where it is today, including lots of pictures. Keep track of other similar cars that have been sold and for how much. Keep receipts for work and parts.

hagerty classic car insurance 

you tell them the value you want to insure it for , how many miles your going to drive it a year what you use it for and they give you a price 

Hagerty is the best game in town if you have a highly customized car that you'd never get valued for the money you've put into it. Unfortunately, that peace of mind comes at a very high premium. Get a quote and you'll see what I mean. For a nice classic daily driver you can get a much cheaper stated value policy elsewhere, and if you cary a higher deductible you can save even more $. 

you tell them the value you want to insure it for , how many miles your going to drive it a year what you use it for and they give you a price 

I have no connection to this site but it worth a reality check before you listen to all the WAGs [yes that means wild ass guesses with no basis is reality]!  http:www.nadaguides.com/classic-cars/  [you will have to log on and provide your make/model/year to continue, do it yourself! I am not your mommy.].  This is the site that dealers connect to if they can get their heads out of their posteriors and will get serious about trade in and resale values.

I have the state farm "cali insurance deal" once I am completly done with it and painted. I am going to attempt this I LOVE MY GOON and I want to keep it with me for a very long time. So this seem very reasonable..

You can get a certified appraiser to give it a value.  As long as you have this done before any incident, you should have leverage.  I did with State Farm.  They covered anything up to the appraised value of $11,500.  They were happy as hell that I preferred to get a used fender and a paint job, over the claim value.  Had I pushed for the claim value, I wonder if they would have fought it.  I'll never know.  The best part, I had just switched from no fault to comprehensive four days before a tree fell on my car.  I never stopped counting my blessings on that one.  

I was asking around and most insurance place look at me and go "want is a Datsun..." that's the only reason I got liability. :crying:

They don't understand the radness of the Datsun.

It depends on what you use it for, if it's a restored classic that gets driven maybe once a week, classic car insurance, if it's a daily driver, that is a little tougher, the value is going to be the sticky point, if it's not new, it's just a piece of junk to most insurance companies, they just don't understand.

I have no connection to this site but it worth a reality check before you listen to all the WAGs [yes that means wild ass guesses with no basis is reality]!  http:www.nadaguides.com/classic-cars/  [you will have to log on and provide your make/model/year to continue, do it yourself! I am not your mommy.].  This is the site that dealers connect to if they can get their heads out of their posteriors and will get serious about trade in and resale values.

Wag? NADA doesn't even list Datsun as an option. Maybe you need to have mommy re-check your reality check, or someone might think you're giving us a, what was it again... Oh yah WAG.

This is where people with classic/modified cars and even huge national insurance companies like Progressive go to get specialty car insurance. http://www.hagerty.com/Collector-car-insurance/Does-my-vehicle-qualify/Modified-vehicles

http://www.progressive.com/collector-car-insurance/collector-car/

images.jpeg