New Game....Teach me about my new (to me) 1972 510!

Alright, so since I purchased my 510 last month, I've been learning a lot about it.  But, as I am reminded every day when I browse ratsun, I don't nearly know it all.  So, with that, please take a look at these photos and post!  Teach me about what you are looking at and the important things I need to know.  Thanks in advance for dispersing knowledge and initiating a new owner.

Cheers!

Clint16295683_large.jpg?v=116295634_large.jpg?v=116295678_large.jpg?v=116295682_large.jpg?v=116295681_large.jpg?v=116295627_large.jpg?v=116295711_large.jpg?v=116295633_large.jpg?v=116295631_large.jpg?v=116295639_large.jpg?v=116295673_large.jpg?v=116294762_large.jpg?v=116294764_large.jpg?v=1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the site. We usually arent spoon-feeders her so my advice would be to continue to search Ratsun. Use the search bar frequently and to read as much as you can. Everyone starts somewhere. 

Car looks nice and clean. 

PS. I spent many many summers in Ft. Collins growing up.

Yeah, it's much more efficient for you to ask specific questions than me telling you that while every threaded fastener on your 510 is metric, the oil sender isn't and one from a British MG will fit the block.

You may have to join MSN or Google for access to this but worth it... https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1/edit?pli=1

beautiful dime. those SUs (the carbs) are an upgrade. 
stock l16, or swapped for an l18 or l20b?

Looks like an L20B to me.

I have been cruising around ratsun for a few years, reading up, trying to digest everything as best I can.  Just the suspension options are a handful.  The engine is an L20b, and I suspect the transmission came with the engine swap.  I'm learning about the ignition systems available, but not exactly sure about the one I've got.  (Thus the reason for this type of a post)  Same with the actual suspension set up (although I think it may be stock).  Learned to stay away from FRAM by cruising through ratsun....clear message.  My exhaust....stock from 1992?? Maybe...I don't know.  Mod's....in my effort to be a polite member....please feel free to move this post to the correct Topic.

Thanks for all the responses....keep them coming!

Yeah, it's much more efficient for you to ask specific questions than me telling you that while every threaded fastener on your 510 is metric, the oil sender isn't and one from a British MG will fit the block.

You may have to join MSN or Google for access to this but worth it... https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0ByCvxnHNk90SYzc4N2E1MWEtMzg0MC00YTE4LTkxZGQtM2RjODA5ODA1YjU1/edit?pli=1

Looks like an L20B to me.

Great link....thanks!

Welcome to the site. We usually arent spoon-feeders her so my advice would be to continue to search Ratsun. Use the search bar frequently and to read as much as you can. Everyone starts somewhere. 

Car looks nice and clean. 

PS. I spent many many summers in Ft. Collins growing up.

It's still a great town....but it has gotten pretty big.  I moved here for college and never left.  If you're ever in the area let me know.

Nice sedan.

Pretty well equipped already.

Your profile says you have a '72 510 coupe.  You don't have a coupe - you have a two-door sedan.  Coupes look like this: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56879-i-like-coupes-pictures-of-bluebird-coupes/

Nice looking dime!  Looks like you have a rear sway bar.  That's an upgrade.

Some day, I may debate....but.....I concede to your years of experience with these cars.  Description changed!

Some day, I may debate....but.....I concede to your years of experience with these cars.  Description changed!

It's all good.   :thumbup:   It's just one of those things that everybody's real touchy about on here, and it seems like something that almost all new owners get wrong.  I think the reason it is particularly touchy is that we all get excited to see pictures of a coupe, and then we're disappointed when it's just a regular old two door... which is still awesome.

I have a rule for you: You don't need 2 tachs, one sitting on top of the other. Sell me that boring, bland factory one that probably doesn't work and keep the really sweet newer one ;)

Hey that's a great idea.....stupid stock equipment.  What a waste! :rolleyes:

All seriousness...not happening.  Besides, you're the third person to ask.  Seriously...is this an initiating ritual or something?

Distributor does say Mallory on the side.  Sounds like that is better than stock...but best??  Eh....I'm posting over on the MSD forum to get some feedback on how the MSD5 is hooked up.  Not sure it is correct.

Thanks to all for the feedback and comments. 

• Like 1

Hey that's a great idea.....stupid stock equipment. What a waste! :rolleyes:

All seriousness...not happening. Besides, you're the third person to ask. Seriously...is this an initiating ritual or something?

Distributor does say Mallory on the side. Sounds like that is better than stock...but best?? Eh....I'm posting over on the MSD forum to get some feedback on how the MSD5 is hooked up. Not sure it is correct.

Thanks to all for the feedback and comments.

I have a Mallory electronic dizzy and I like it. I think to buy new they are way over priced, but since you already have it, might as well keep it. UNLESS it is a points unit, then swap it for something electronic, Matchbox, pertronix, ect.