New Game....Teach me about my new (to me) 1972 510!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see if I can't spot something that hasn't been mentioned yet.

non-stock fuel pump – a non-rebuildable auto parts store replacement with sheet metal body

MSD ignition module on the driver's side in the engine bay

auto trans heater hose

38mm SSS carbs with what looks to be the correct choke cable setup – aftermarket air filters

dealer installed A/C system, but the compressor is missing

plugged AIR ports on the exhaust manifold

rear sway bar and aftermarket blue springs

speakers hanging around under the dash with no enclosures whatsoever

aftermarket steering wheel

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Fuel filter should be clipped right behind your passenger headlight on the inner fender area. Follow the fuel line from the fuel pump (on the forward passenger-side corner of the head) towards your passenger-side headlights and you should see it. 

I didnt see anyone actually say why the whole tach thing has come up...its because the factory tach was an option that not many cars came with and as such is now a very rare commodity. And is quite cool. Just so you know and don't get ripped off by someone offering to buy your factory tach

I didnt see anyone actually say why the whole tach thing has come up...its because the factory tach was an option that not many cars came with and as such is now a very rare commodity. And is quite cool. Just so you know and don't get ripped off by someone offering to buy your factory tach

Didnt know it was a rare option. I wouldnt part with it anyways. I plan on ditching the rice-clock eventually and using the factory....eventually. thanks for the heads up. Regarding the fuelfilter....son of a ......!!

Fuel filter should be clipped right behind your passenger headlight on the inner fender area. Follow the fuel line from the fuel pump (on the forward passenger-side corner of the head) towards your passenger-side headlights and you should see it.

Thanks...i`ll give it a look tomorrow am. im still learning here.

• 1 month later...

I already sent you a message I am jealous as I know exactly where that car used to sent and left a couple notes for the owner, even went and knocked on the door a few times. Great find. I am down here in Aurora and am happy to help I have a few 510 things laying about so I might be able to find some parts (Although I don't have a bunch of parts sorry)

The engine is an L20b, and I suspect the transmission came with the engine swap.

Is it a 4spd or 5spd?  I see the 4spd shift knob and stock crossmember, but the bottom of the trans doesn't look like the stock Borg Warner trans....

What head is on the engine?

Your profile says you have a '72 510 coupe.  You don't have a coupe - you have a two-door sedan.  Coupes look like this: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56879-i-like-coupes-pictures-of-bluebird-coupes/

Nice looking dime!  Looks like you have a rear sway bar.  That's an upgrade.

Some day, I may debate....but.....I concede to your years of experience with these cars.  Description changed!

A sedan can be a 2 or 4 door configuration, and has a non-removable post from the roof to the belt line just after the drives's window.   Where as a Hardtop has no center post at all, and again can be 2 or 4 door configuration.  In this case the technical term dispute is between sedan and coupe.  The Bluebird Coupe technically falls in the sedan category, but has a roof line that is more raked than the 2 and 4 door sedan models.  Thus giving the car a "sleeker" look, and less passenger interior space.  In addition, the Coupe only came in a 2 door configuration.

It's something a lot of Datsun Newbies have to get used to. In fact, off hand I can't think of any other manufacturer that had a coupe roofline that so closely resembled the sedan's....

Nice ride by the way.  Clean and detail that engine bay, and it will be real sweet.  B)

New turn signal lenses will help transform the looks.  Your also missing some trim surrounding the headlights...

Care to share?

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/8305-post-your-mug/

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56771-whats-the-meaning-behind-your-user-name/

• 3 weeks later...

The trans is a dogleg 5-speed. Ive been going with a 78 200sx for the counter guy to order parts for me at my local oreilly store. And, i have no idea which head is on the engine.....wish i knew how to tell.

As for the coupe-sedan debate.....seems mre like datsun are the only manufacturer who refer to a 2-door car as a sedan. Coupe-sedan usually refer to number of doors. Seems to my unlearned-self (about datsuns anyways) that a bluebird is a vehicle class within the 510 line by itself....nevermind the coupe-sedan designation as its not needed for bluebirds. But, as i noted earlier...i defer to the collective ideal.

I already sent you a message I am jealous as I know exactly where that car used to sent and left a couple notes for the owner, even went and knocked on the door a few times. Great find. I am down here in Aurora and am happy to help I have a few 510 things laying about so I might be able to find some parts (Although I don't have a bunch of parts sorry)

thanks again for the compliments. and , i probably will ring you up at somepoint for some assistance.

Look behind #1 spark plug down along the bottom of the head where it meets the block. It will say MADE IN JAPAN 210 or at the least 210. May possibly say A87.

#1 spark plug in upper right. This is a W58 head from a '78-'80 L20B but same location.

DSCN3581_zps18d78d29.jpg

**This message should be read as a friendly debate...  I'm not meaning for my words to sound degrading at all.....  Cheers**

A simple Google search will tell you that you are wrong about the Coupe-Sedan debate.

Technicalities aside, you should call it by what the manufacturer calls it.... Feel free to call it what you will, just realize you will continue to be scrutinized by Datsun people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedan_%28automobile%29

http://www.automoblog.net/2009/02/12/coupe-vs-sedan-whats-the-difference/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coup%C3%A9

No offense taken. As I noted earlier, I defer to the knowledge of those who have owned Datsuns before me. And, I would love to see this turn into its own discussion thread....maybe it already has somewhere out there in ratsun land. I'll look for that head info tomorrow morning as I'm sure the forum can help me id it with the numbers.

From the way I remember it, coupe vs sedan was originally based off interior volume and not door quantity. The 2-door sedan had an interior volume above the coupe limit. With the increased angle of the roofline on the Coupe, it cuts off enough volume to drop it below the line.

They call their coupe The Coupe.

And as mentioned, I think the default should be whatever the manufacturer calls it.

U67 decent. Knowing if it is a Closed chamber or Open chamber head will tell you for sure how good it is. Here are the different specs for each head:

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/html/tech/head_ID_2.htm

Thanks for the link....nice short read. Ive heard detonati0ns on fuel injected cars....and seen unfortunate results of. But im wondering what a u67 detonation sounds like? I do have a rattle that can be heard while accelerating at low rpms...wonder if that is a detonation?

The more i learn......

When I was a Datsun Mechanic at Sun Datsun in Whiottier Ca in the 70's, the 510's imported to the US were never referred to as a Coupe but were referred to as Sedans no one called them Coupes. When a customer special ordered 510 from Japan in came in as right hand drive L18, SU's then we all noticed the badge saying "Coupe" and were hooked. So ya US models are Sedans, Japan models are Coupes of couse you can call it what ever you want. I call my 510,, The Datsun or The 510. Sorry no pretty names here, can't bring myself to call the 510 anything else. Though there are some really good name for the 510 out there and my favorite is The Bronze!!

From the way I remember it, coupe vs sedan was originally based off interior volume and not door quantity. The 2-door sedan had an interior volume above the coupe limit. With the increased angle of the roofline on the Coupe, it cuts off enough volume to drop it below the line.

They call their coupe The Coupe.

And as mentioned, I think the default should be whatever the manufacturer calls it.

• Like 1

When I was a Datsun Mechanic at Sun Datsun in Whiottier Ca in the 70's, the 510's imported to the US were never referred to as a Coupe but were referred to as Sedans no one called them Coupes. When a customer special ordered 510 from Japan in came in as right hand drive L18, SU's then we all noticed the badge saying "Coupe" and were hooked. So ya US models are Sedans, Japan models are Coupes of couse you can call it what ever you want. I call my 510,, The Datsun or The 510. Sorry no pretty names here, can't bring myself to call the 510 anything else. Though there are some really good name for the 510 out there and my favorite is The Bronze!!

We've already covered it here, but Japan had both.  The difference we are talking about is shown in this thread:  http://community.ratsun.net/topic/56879-i-like-coupes-pictures-of-bluebird-coupes/

And thus the reason, the difference is best explained by the amount of rear interior volume.