New Game....Teach me about my new (to me) 1972 510!

No valve job yet. Honestly want on my list of things to do until now. Although, the car may hit winter storage after I change out the radiator fluid, which should be in a week or so. Over the winter, I plan on ripping out the interior and doing some changes. By the way, anyone ever hear of using Infiniti seats in a 510 with the stock rails? Maybe from a g20 or g35?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

U67 decent. Knowing if it is a Closed chamber or Open chamber head will tell you for sure how good it is. Here are the different specs for each head:

http://www.davidcmurphy.com/olddat/html/tech/head_ID_2.htm

So from what I could read (admittedly quickly) about the u67, it would be wise to use high octane gasoline (91 octane is the highest we have here) and some cold spark plugs.

• 3 weeks later...

So from what I could read (admittedly quickly) about the u67, it would be wise to use high octane gasoline (91 octane is the highest we have here) and some cold spark plugs.

Depends on CR.......

I'm running a U67 on the cheapest reg gas available......no issues.

That said...I'm only at 8.5......but... I could tell you it's at 10 and 'one' would have no clue....lol

• 5 months later...

Alright, learned some more about my 510 this year. I started up the car and got the dreaded white smoke. Steady belching of white crap. Pulled the engine apart after collecting literature from everywhere I could...."How to rebuild your Datsun", "Haynes 510 manual", "Chilton's 200sx manual", "DQ issues", etc..... After draining the antifreeze and pulling hoses, I notice an ominous brown/orange tint. Damn...sure enough, I pull the thermostat and it's full of rust. I'm surprised the damn thing would send info regarding the temp. Pull the head, and the bolts show rust. So the head gasket is getting replaced. Oh....and the spark plugs showed with quite a bit of oil...so I'm sure the rings need replaced too.

But, I come across another issue...the pistons. The pistons I have in there are domed, about 2/3 of the surface and read "p86std". Anyone know who manufactured these? The other problem...three of the pistons are domed, one is a flat top. Piston three must have been replaced at some point with a flat top. All this is making me wonder what exactly has been done to this engine. The cam has some markings on it, but I can't remember exactly what the numbers are. But, I do recall a red and gold stripe painted onto the back. I'm sure there is some meaning to this, but I have no idea.

So, my question is: any help with the piston identification? What to do with (presumably) all the rust in the engine? I really don't want to junk it as I would like to be driving this summer. Pictures to come.

• Like 1

What to do about the (fairly common) rust - flush the cooling system once you get the engine bolted back together.

Don't worry about the piston. It ran good and smooth didn't it? On the other hand, if it vibrated at high rpms, replace the piston and get the engine re-balanced. Weigh the other pistons and call Wiseco and ask them if they'll make you one to match. Or just find a good used engine and swap it.

Read this http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/278548-81-83-280zx-domed-pistons.html

Thanks. I was very worried about the rust, thought I would have to scrap the whole block and head. I followed the link you provide, which had good info. But I'm hoping to find a replacement piston so I can stick with the mesa design. And yes, it did shake more than normal at idol with the flat top in there.

9048 is the part number you want.from united call them first for a dealer near you as they dont sell to the public

try rock auto.com

summit racing

and Ratsun as I got soem L20s from a guy on here for 100 set of 4

parts train.com

importrp.com

I dont know your ignition set up but does your coil say it needs a ballast resisitor? But I also see a MSD.

Most point coils need a ballast as they are not meant to run on 12-14 volts directly.

feel if this gets HOT

why you think you need pistons???????

Re: new pistons...I'm a meticulous kind of guy when it comes to my cars and knowing that one of the pistons is non-matching to the other three would bug the hell out of me. I would always be thinking I was hearing a knock or something. Also I would be concerned about the different compression ratio between the cylinders due to the mesa vs the flat top. That, and I want to replace the things anyways due to b how much unburnt oil was on the spark plugs when I removed them. I figure I might as well replace them while the car is non-op and torn down.

Re:ballast.... Forgive my non-technical response, but yes, there is a white (small) brick thing that is in line with the coil. Is running a Mallory distributor at the moment which I may purchase a petronix conversion for. It looks as though it already has the conversion on it away from points.... Not too sure at the moment though.

As you can tell, I'm still learning. So, if I'm off on my thinking let me know.

as for a running motor I would have just built a L20 on the side to keep car running the whole time

I seriously thought about that option....but I had to replace the head gasket anyways. That and itb snows til June here in Colorado so the car will continue to live in the garage until June anyways.

I think they make a electronic conversion for the point mallory. Unilite?????

I've got the part number at home for the Mallory product....but its $75. I'll post it up here if I use it. But I'll post the Mallory distributor part number I'm using just in case someone wants to use the same Mallory distributor.

Just as a heads up, Nissan dealer is saying these particular pistons are NLA. But, they were able to give me some possible part numbers:

Rings: 12010-Y4131

Piston: 12033-P8370

Turns out these part numbers are for flat top pistons.....not the dome tops I'm looking for.  Bummer.

you dont want flattops or dome tops on l20s anyway. to much compression with crappy gas. Not good daily driver motor.

Pop alot of head gaskets.

What you thinking? flattop or dome top.

How about dished pistons

High compression sounds like a fun idea, but not entirely usable. I I've located a set of used (dished) pistons that I'm going to throw in with a new set of rings and call it good.

I'm eventually gonna throw the numbers from the cam on here eventually to see if I can steal more knowledge from you guys about it. I expect it is something other than stock.

I have a good feeling about getting this thing back on the road this summer. Thanks for everyones help and suggestions.