My little green 521

Gonna shift gears and start a build thread since I have quite a bit of work to do on this thing.

First things first.... started with a 521 bought from the original owner for $50.00. Not pretty.... but can't beat the price. Had to scrub her down the first day she made it home

1_zps364ea91e.jpg

[2_zps8143ea99.jpg

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE TAIL LIGHT LENS'S! they dont even look cracked!

but anyways, nice start man! and welcome to ratsun, even though you have 29 post's... try scrubbing down your engine bay! makes it seem soooo much cleaner.

Not a whole lot of progress.... cleaned the valve cover, dropped on the weber 32/36, cleaned and primed around the master cylinder then dropped in a new brake and clutch master. Also managed to whip out a battery hold down and do some wire removal.

100_4384_zps765347ac.jpg

Not a whole lot of progress.... cleaned the valve cover, dropped on the weber 32/36, cleaned and primed around the master cylinder then dropped in a new brake and clutch master. Also managed to whip out a battery hold down and do some wire removal.

100_4384_zps765347ac.jpg

You need to check the battery hold down all the time, I am always uncertain of metal hold downs that are made of one piece of metal like yours, you see if that battery shifts somehow, like in a wreck or something, and both them posts or the positive post touches that piece of metal, you will likely have a fire.

Your battery doesn't have raised caps, so there is nothing to keep the metal away from the posts, and when you put the cables on, it will even be closer to the posts.

If it had a metal ring all the way around the battery, and you welded the main cross piece to that ring, then it could not move, like the stock hold downs.

This is a picture of a repaired stock hold down.

P1020442.jpg

I have seen stock battery hold downs with a capped corner.

P1020447.jpg

And with an interlocked corner.

P1020443.jpg

I had to replace one side of the battery hold down.  Just cut a piece of 18 ga sheet steel with a 1/32 cutodff wheel, using a heavier piece of steel as a guide,

CutGuide.jpg

I then bent it using two pieces of steel clamped in a vice,

Bend.jpg

and then welded it into the old battery tray.

• Like 1

On the hold down maybe cover it with that old plasit-dip stuff in the can ,, like the kind you use for plier grips that you dip part in,, not the spray on..  On another note i saw the real you,, lol,,  and noticed your an older grizzled sob like us, and not a kid that i thought you were at first.

hope ya make a meet this summer with your Datsun.  ,,, i'm thinking you surely can get it to wobble over to the meet/bbq  in Puyallup on the 31st ,, hell it may take you 5 hours but you could probably drive all back roads there and back except for the narrows... do it ..

Yeah I wish I was younger... my back reminds me daily of how old I am yet my mind refuses to grow up. The 31st should not be a problem (fingers crossed)

If your say'n your 30 years old, and you consider yourself old, you need to try on my shoes.

Yeah , i sure wish i would have welded all everything i ever needed to weld before my eyes went to shit.. well i guess if i could weld everything at arms length i would be good to go.. :lol:

I actually learned to weld with a mig in 2010, and my attitude about it is, if it looks bad(the weld), grind it off and do it again, I have had some piss poor welds last for years, but I will admit that I over brace everything, everytime i do a modification, my vehicle weighs another 100lbs.  :rofl: