Anyone trance fans or EDM?

Just like anything, there are good and bad (or better) artists... justs make me laugh when everyone blatantly calls a full genre of music shit and talentless. I get that a lot growing up to the heavier "growling" vocalled metal. 

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed... Dubstep is wonderful with the right artist I think... I dont like rock as a genre, But I cant Lie theres a few artists I can really get down too... Rap is my favorite. Alot of main stream artists ruin the new stuff, but theres some bad ass artists that no one really ever hears. :)

I'm big on edm, I don't care for anything else much now days because most of the radio stuff is junk. And I'm blown away at the fact that they can draw so much emotion and energy into a record with little to no vocals and also how they can control people in a sense when they dj (used to dj, and slightly produce). I could go on all day about it but I like all of the genres pretty much except trance lol I really like dubstep and can't wait for the Trap fad to die out although theres a handful of it that's decent most of the dubstep producer temporarly jumped ship to play out trap but dubstep has been coming back slowly.

Thats another genre that gets a lot of flack: rap. Im a fan, but only when the artist has something to say. I dont need to hear a hundred songs about how much more money you have than me. You can only take so many verses about black woman with fat asses. True rap takes some skill and when your main instrument is the power of your words mixed with rhyme and spot on meter, its great. With other music you can hide behind vocal effects and different instruments. Rap is a little harder to do that with. 

Its really easy to pick out hack jobs in rap which is what makes a lot of underground stuff appealing to me. Guys are usually doing it for the message and not another serving of purple sizzurup. 

Thats another genre that gets a lot of flack: rap. Im a fan, but only when the artist has something to say. I dont need to hear a hundred songs about how much more money you have than me. You can only take so many verses about black woman with fat asses. True rap takes some skill and when your main instrument is the power of your words mixed with rhyme and spot on meter, its great. With other music you can hide behind vocal effects and different instruments. Rap is a little harder to do that with. 

Its really easy to pick out hack jobs in rap which is what makes a lot of underground stuff appealing to me. Guys are usually doing it for the message and not another serving of purple sizzurup.

I was referring to edm trap, your thinking of the southern rap trap. Although edm trap came from the southern style they mainly just make a track with little to no vocals, look up Bauer or butch Clancy to get an idea.

I was referring to edm trap, your thinking of the southern rap trap. Although edm trap came from the southern style they mainly just make a track with little to no vocals, look up Bauer or butch Clancy to get an idea.

I was referencing Sicks comments about rap in general and nothing about EDM. You and I were typing at the same time and you posted before me. 

Tristin I agree 100percent

About 99 percent of the time you can find me riding my datsun to freddie gibbs.. :) Best lyrical rapper currently in the game....

other new good rappers on my ipod would include

Big krit

kendrick lamar

Joey badass

Well about 24 years ago I was in Los Angeles for  the first wave of electronic beat music (if that monniker makes sense).

Basically d.j.'s in London were searching for tunes that worked well with Ecstasy (the drug) and they discovered American or more specifically Chicago House music.

They took it back to England tweaked it ( no pun intended...yet) with synth sounds; the infamous Roland 808 etc...and Chicago House was reborn as;

"Acid House". Undergrounds (what the original warehouse parties were called) returned back over here..

For about two years it was pure magic... the honeymoon phase I guess.

Then it got combined with good old fashioned American Hype... just in time to be called Rave.

It blew up and was going to take over the world...so we thought or were led to believe.

Then the drugs got too weird, self styled gangsters started showing up along with ambulances.

I got out of it because partying was an impediment to having somewhat of a normal life and I went to Culinary School.

Alot of people I knew stayed in and got taken out, o.d.'ed, put on a plane back home, institutionalized etc....

Fast forward twenty years and the same hype machine is still in place trying to convert us all to the merits of electronic dance music.

I was watching this movie about The Ultra Music Festival in Miami on the tube and they had an interview with Will. I.Am of the Black Eye Peas and he was going on about how real this type of music is. I was thinking "Sure it is...while you're under the influence of mind numbing chemicals which allow the beats to penetrate your subconscious".

The thing is this guy was barely coherent which is understandable; he's a rich rock star with access to the best drugs money can buy. 

So while everyone interviewed in the movie was hyping electronic dance musics " vibe", and " good energy" (which was understandable as they, as D.J.'s and performers stand to make a ton of money off of it ) all I could think was;

THIS IS THE EXACT SAME BULLS*** I WAS HEARING TWENTY YEARS AGO and.

THIS IS MUSIC FOR PEOPLE ON DRUGS. PERIOD.

ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC IS NOT GOING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD BECAUSE MOST PEOPLE DO NOT WASTE THEIR LIVES IMBIBING CHEMICALS AND GOING TO PARTIES.

People can do whatever they choose, I am just glad I am out of the hypes influence.

• Like 1

I cant fully agree with that statement. You shouldnt make the assumption that the only way to enjoy EDM is to be on drugs... I have never once taken drugs (hell Ive never smoked a cigarette in min my life) and Im a huge EDM fan. Do I agree that a huge underlying fact of the scene is that drugs are huge? Yes. But it seems like every music scene is like that. Look how many rock and roll artists over the years ODd. Look how many Rap songs are about drugs and the such. 

I think drugs just help the mood and alter your mind into another state while listening to the music. I dont see how thats the only way to enjoy it though. 

Ive been to hundreds of house parties, easily 50-75 huge raves, and countless nights in LA/Seattle dance clubs and have never felt the need to take drugs. And there hasnt been a time where Ive heard a song and been like, "You know, this song sucks. I bet it would be good on drugs though."

• Like 1

I cant fully agree with that statement. You shouldnt make the assumption that the only way to enjoy EDM is to be on drugs... I have never once taken drugs (hell Ive never smoked a cigarette in min my life) and Im a huge EDM fan. Do I agree that a huge underlying fact of the scene is that drugs are huge? Yes. But it seems like every music scene is like that. Look how many rock and roll artists over the years ODd. Look how many Rap songs are about drugs and the such. 

I think drugs just help the mood and alter your mind into another state while listening to the music. I dont see how thats the only way to enjoy it though. 

Ive been to hundreds of house parties, easily 50-75 huge raves, and countless nights in LA/Seattle dance clubs and have never felt the need to take drugs. And there hasnt been a time where Ive heard a song and been like, "You know, this song sucks. I bet it would be good on drugs though."

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!!!HAHA :)

Yeah I know! :)

To be semi- serious though my experience has shown me that if one is sober at one of those dance parties (and I have done it sober before...BORING), one is definitely in the minority....

It is human nature to want to alter ones consciousness whether chemically or not. 

It is what it is, just stay out of the way of law enforcement!

A bit naive to assume no one else there was on drugs or wasn't thinking how they would rather be on drugs listening to it. You're only looking at it from your perspective, to analyze it further you would have been there for the environment, not necessarily what the majority of "others" would have been there for. They most certainly would have been there seeking different parameters (many variables)... probably drugs involved.

I do enjoy techno in various forms too, but you can't say that drugs didnt cultivate most of the music and culture that went with it.

In fact one might say that in the 50's youth rebeling against rules and society drove the onset of rock? You could say rap was enjoyed by a primarily black following and grew as a result, despite it being widely liked across all demigraphics today.

Tristin there were people at wood stock in 69 enjoying it without any drugs either, probably like 4 people. =)

A bit naive to assume no one else there was on drugs or wasn't thinking how they would rather be on drugs listening to it.

I dont understand how you got that out of what I said. I never said that at all... I said... I... me... had never done drugs while there. Im sure almost everyone else was. I only said that you cant be that finite in an statement saying that the only was to listen to EDM is to be on drugs. Thats the statement that was made and I dont agree with. Myself and Sick have proven it... that you dont have to be a drugs to like it. 

I dont get what your argument is at all. 

Thats the statement that was made and I dont agree with. Myself and Sick have proven it... that you dont have to be a drugs to like it. 

And there lies part of the problem....... ;)

Straight or under some 'influence'....it still sucks.... :lol:

I dont understand how you got that out of what I said. I never said that at all... I said... I... me... had never done drugs while there. Im sure almost everyone else was. I only said that you cant be that finite in an statement saying that the only was to listen to EDM is to be on drugs. Thats the statement that was made and I dont agree with. Myself and Sick have proven it... that you dont have to be a drugs to like it. 

I dont get what your argument is at all. 

I was under the impression that you disagree that this music was born (and grown) primarily from drug usage/ectasy scene?

you quoted a single line of what i said, did you read all of it?

I was under the impression that you disagree that this music was born (and grown) primarily from drug usage/ectasy scene?

you quoted a single line of what i said, did you read all of it?

Yes I did... and nothing of what you were saying is coincident of what I mentioned. I never talked about any of that. My only disagreement was what I already mentioned: you cannot be black and white over the enjoyment of the music only when youre under the influence. 

I never once talked about how the scene was born or how it came about. 

Black or white?? now we are bring race into this!!!?? Oh hell No!!

thats my attempt at a joke, im taking your words out of context to make an arguement, Like everyone else around here these days ;)

Oh hell no you didnt! How dare you use two different size fonts... thats typography treason!