Its a sad day for school buses

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Reliable, had Cummins engines?  Crown went defunct in 1991, so parts had to be getting scarce.  Plus Californias anti-older Diesel smog laws probably spelled the end anyway.

They were distinctive, though.  Built on an actual bus platform rather than the more common Truck chassis school buses you see everywhere.

They have 2 stroke flat 6 detroit diesel engines, these had 5 speeds, we have to get them crushed to get the California grant for new buses, so these are going straight to the crushers, its a 78 and a 79 crown

The Twinkie, local district retired the last three last year. Went to the scrap yard. I remember riding them as a kid. Best seat was the metal partition between the very back seats. Nice tray to set your binders on by the back window too. Only buses we had that I didn't have to duck just to walk down the ile. Seated 60?

Haha last bus I remember riding in was a gillig, the bluebirds aren't that good, unless they have a cummins, everything around the cummins engines fall apart, thomas buses are just as good as the bluebirds, the cat engines are horrible though, crowns are the most reliable though