new member, new Maxima/910 owner!

hey guys I just got this last night, I used to own a 280z, but alas it has gone to scrap due to rust. but I was going to do the turbo swap with borg warner 5 speed and megasquirt on it before it got scrapped, so I assembled the engine got the tranny and megasquirt, and it has been sitting for 2 years in my agarage, so now in looking for another project car, and looking for a 4 door for the new baby I settled on the maxima since I can now make it a turbo maxima with megasquirt and t5 tranny!!.

what do you guys think?

350C28F0-3047-4D5B-B19C-E1D5B9D58081-342

A981EEB1-0165-4F45-B1F8-743B23590002-342

98DA349F-EC5D-4F9F-8B37-4FABD25C610D-342

4DC83ED8-9E98-41C9-8BBF-001C2E842F99-180

697F74CE-2F56-4B05-A849-A81418FB6A55-342

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

noooooo, unfortunately not, its auto. why would it matter? it will need a custom drive shaft anyway, right?

I think it's a matter of finding the right pedal assembly.

It's gonna be a beast though! I drove a maxima with an L28et in it, and it was a rocketship

im sure it wont be too bad, wehre theres a will theres a way, its a ways off anyway, im gonna keep it stock and slowly restore the interior first anyway. it is giving me a little overheating issue on the highway right now. not sure what it is, but i think the fan clutch is bad. that shouldnt cause it to get hot while its on the highway though right?

it is giving me a little overheating issue on the highway right now. not sure what it is, but i think the fan clutch is bad. that shouldnt cause it to get hot while its on the highway though right?

At highway speeds there is enough air pushed through the rad by vehicle movement you don't need a fan. If overheating on the road look at plugged rad, soft bottom rad hose collapsing when revved up and pump suction is highest. Leaves or debris blocking air flow, thermostat stuck only part open.

At highway speeds there is enough air pushed through the rad by vehicle movement you don't need a fan. If overheating on the road look at plugged rad, soft bottom rad hose collapsing when revved up and pump suction is highest. Leaves or debris blocking air flow, thermostat stuck only part open.

ill have to check that out, is there anything else it could be, possible restrictive condensor core? it still has all the factory ac stuff in it.

Make sure you have any fan shrouds & belly pans in place as well. Clean the radiator and AC cores out really good.

all the belly pans are in place, i can clean the radiator but the ac core is still pressurized, and i would like to keep it that way til i can see if it works(need blower fan). the condensor looks to be clean, i mean theres debris there but its not really blocking it per say, mostly just some bugs. theres nothing I can see blocking the radiator and all the fan shrouds are in place.

i am going to try what king rat said about the hose pressures once i get it heated up

do you think i should try running it with no thermostat? and see if that is the issue, i know the P/O just replaced the thermostat too.

Once warmed up rev it up and watch the bottom hose for collapsing or squeeze it to see if soft... remember rad hoses rot from the inside and it may look just fine. 

Never run a car without a thermostat. For one it is designed to give the best mileage, power and low emissions when running around 190F.  If the rest of the cooling system is working properly you don't need to do this... it isn't a cure only a band-aid.

Once warmed up rev it up and watch the bottom hose for collapsing or squeeze it to see if soft... remember rad hoses rot from the inside and it may look just fine. 

Never run a car without a thermostat. For one it is designed to give the best mileage, power and low emissions when running around 190F.  If the rest of the cooling system is working properly you don't need to do this... it isn't a cure only a band-aid.

thanks alot for the advice, i will give it a try and report back tonight.

Glad you joined the Ratsun too just saw you over at HBZ and Z-Train is right about the clutch pedal gonna have to find another maxima at the junkyard that's a manual and pull the clutch assembly. Maybe try the Maxima forum see if anyone is parting one or put a WTB post.

thanks, the group over here seems more laid back than hybrid z.

so I got it warmed up tonight not hot hot just warmed up and pressurized. then i felt both cooling hoses (which were hot as hell, duh) and neither seemed lacking in pressure when i revved the engine.

whats my next course of action.

could i run with no thermostst just for the puspose of finding out if it is the thermostat? I obviously would replace it once i found out that isnt the problem or got a working thermostat.  I will be tearing the radiator out next though, is there a good method for cleaning it? I would like to get an aluminium down the road...