Tires.. MFR vs MFR

Getting ready to buy a set of tires. Would like some opinions on tires..

I have read some reviews, some good, some bad..

Falken Sincera.. Rated 50k mile warranty. 

Cost is 314 out the door

Some mixed reviews...  still 7.4 out of 18 reviews. 

Anyone run these? Or falken tires... Do they wear evenly, good?  Do you actually get the miles out of them or no?

Second up

Federal tires at schwabs

Cost is 340 out the door

Couldn't really find reviews

they are rated 40k miles....

I don't really have much more than that to spend. So I'm trying to get the best bang for my buck. 

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Our 87 MR2 lived on the cheap Falkens 185/60/14 and they wore very evenly and lasted a long time .. My sons 510 wagon went through at least 75% on 2 fronts ,, that were off said MR2 ( after tranny lost 5th and we junked it ) in about 3 months because of camber.. You have to take alot of those reviews with a grain of salt cuz some people expect to pay for a chevy and get a cadillac..

My brother runs Falken on his 70 510 and they are really smooth..

I like Falkens.

I had a set of ZE512's that were on the back of my truck, and even after beating the ass out of them, I couldn't see any wear on them after over a year.

I bought a set of ZE512's for my stockers also, over a year ago. Drove on them for about 7 months-ish and I can tell you, they really don't like camber. They wear like a sonova bitch.

I have ZE912's on the back now, and I like them a lot more in the rain then most tires I've driven on. They shed water great for the price of the tire.

My buddies STI has Falken's 912's on it, and compared to any other tires on a high HP car I've driven, I feel they handle exceptionally well. Especially considering their price tag.

I don't know much about the Sincera, but I can tell you I've had a pretty positive experience with Falken tires. 

Seems awful high for Federals.  Federals are made in Taiwan and mainland China.  They're generally a budget tire, though Ford uses them as OEM tires on some vehicles. 

Falken is a Japanese company, generally higher end tires.

Thanks for the input!  The federals are available at the local les schwab... Thats valve stems mount balance etc.  out the door 340 bucks at 30k miles

The falkens are 314, 50k miles, and at america tire company. 

Go with the falken 512. Cheaper, but they grip really well in the rain, as well as the dry. I love how they work in the rain, never been an issue. And they have a rim protector on them.

Most 512s have been discontinued, so if you can find them you generally get an awesome price on them.

The 912s have dropped in price since the 512s started going out.

I paid 77$ for my 912s, and a friend got his 512s for $50

They're avail at americas tire co. ill call and reserve them bitches.

Looks like the only way they're sold now is through a few exclusive dealers. I found that discount tire seems to be the only distributor around here that still gets them. IIRC America's tire is owned via discount, or vice versa, but I'm not 100%

• 4 weeks later...

falkens are good / toyos are awesome

GOODYEARS SUCK and I will never own good years again

I have ventus hr 2 and they are great rain or shine tires and seem to be wearing well

It was my understanding that the 512s were essentially replaced by the 912s.  So, if you find 512s they're probably considerably older than most 912s you can find.  I only have experience with the 912s, had them on my 4400lb chevy and I couldn't break em loose in the rain unless I really pushed it.  They're rated at 50k I believe, and they will take you that far.  Most peoples gripe about them is their sidewalls are a bit on the soft side, but that's usually only pertinant with more severely "stretched" tires.  Sumitomo has a model that has tread that is identical to the 912s, I think they have a re-brand arrangement.

Hey! Good thanks man.

I have the 512's. And you know what? Americas tire only put the pressure at 30lbs. If you look at the tire, it says to use MORE than that lol.  I have them at max PSI of 51 lbs. They grip like a mother fucker.  I just swapped over to 5sp in my 510 wagon.  Took it out in the rain last night, and nothing broke loose. Good to go!

Maybe they need to check recommended tire pressure?  I only have about 200 miles on the tires now, but they are doing great so far.  They grip good, I can take corners hard....

If the 912's replaced them thats great! After a year of driving on these tires... If they are what they claim to be I'll buy more.