1976 Datsun 710 4 door

@rusty12ver sounds easy enough! I've been meaning to hit up my local yard as last time I was pulling some ae86 parts I remember seeing a 280 zx, hell, there might have even been two. The car actually runs and drives, and I've been driving it around my neighborhood, but it jumped a rocker arm off on cyl no 2 and I just haven't had time to fix it. Hopefully this weekend ill get some time to reroute out the vacuum lines, clean the tank, put on the camaro shocks I've got, and get into the head and figure out what shenanigans are going on in there.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also, this 280zx 5spd swap, what bell housing, clutch and flywheel is used? I have an auto currently.

The transmission has a built in bell housing.

The transmission does not care what motor, flywheel or clutch assy you choose.*

You can use any 6 bolt (mounting) flywheel you like. They are available with three pressure plate bolt patterns to fit 200mm clutches (cars) 225mm (trucks) and 240mm (720/D-21 trucks and some Zcars) The flywheel determines which clutch you can use.*

* The release bearing collar or housing or holder must be matched to the pressure plate size you choose. It fits on the clutch arm on the transmission. Your 'new' 5 speed may have one already on it but it is matched to???? who knows what size clutch. Be sure yours matches your clutch.

• Like 1

wow, i wanted this one bad. Had it been in portland i would own it.... 

MORE PICS MEOW!!!!!!!

glad it made its way to ratsun!

Yeah, this is currently the only 710 I like. I would have seriously considered it if it was closer.

This guy has a manual tranny still sitting in it. Z31 non turbo. Does this generation bolt up to an l20?

no.

Took these pics real quick last night. I have the rear seat back removed right now to gain access to the rear shocks and trunk.

The shocks bolt on from underneath and the tank will be in the way.

Got a little time yesterday. Installed both edelbrock camaro rear shocks. Had to slim up the bushings on the lower mounts a bit to fit the posts on the axle housing, but other than that they fit perfect. No difference in height vs the having no shocks. Seems like they have lost an inch or so of travel when combined with the 3in blocks. Dropped the fuel tank. 15 year old gas smells ssooooo bad. Emptied the tank and rinsed it out a bit. Gas in tank was a beatiful hue of shit-orange and stunk my entire coldesack up. Haven't driven my driven my corolla in a week until yesterday. Forgot how much more awesome it was than the vw shitbox jetta I've been driving lately.

6D49EEE9-53C0-49D2-BEC7-A21BCF477CC0-416

So as I said before I had driven the car around a bit and had jumped a rocker arm. I didn't drive too far on what I thought was 3 cylinders and parked back in the garage finally got some time and this is what I found

Cyl no 2 cam lobe

F008F10F-BD8B-4761-8DDA-9A7D4857EE62-151

9EDDF7AE-BEC7-43DA-9098-DB7203327C43-151

Cyl no 3 valve retainer, lash pad out , chewed up retainer

324D5B8C-1EBF-41DA-92DC-725D72FB9BAA-151

Rocker arm cyl no 2

829337A4-76C3-4422-A6C8-C01F87F4A7C0-151

I have all the bit and pieces, but I can't get the lash pad back in the retainer on cyl no 3 because it got chamfered a bit on the lip of the retainer. Also, I suspect the Valvetrain to be mostly toast at this point, but I would still like to piece it back together in hopes that I can keep it running at low rpms as I had planned to smog it before I swapped it. Found what I believe to be either an l20 or u20 at the junkyard with a clean cam and Valvetrain, are these parts interchangeable? I wanna say it was a "u20" out of a 74 datsun pu (521?) also is the whole head interchangeable? It seems to have the same carbuerator as my 710, and same manifold design.

C1C824BA-3E2A-48A3-A103-0776D9A23EFC-151

The vin plate was a bit damaged and the only thing I could see was the displacement (1952?) or something like that.

Got a little time yesterday. Installed both edelbrock camaro rear shocks. Had to slim up the bushings on the lower mounts a bit to fit the posts on the axle housing, but other than that they fit perfect. No difference in height vs the having no shocks. Seems like they have lost an inch or so of travel when combined with the 3in blocks. Dropped the fuel tank. 15 year old gas smells ssooooo bad. Emptied the tank and rinsed it out a bit. Gas in tank was a beatiful hue of shit-orange and stunk my entire coldesack up. Haven't driven my driven my corolla in a week until yesterday. Forgot how much more awesome it was than the vw shitbox jetta I've been driving lately.

6D49EEE9-53C0-49D2-BEC7-A21BCF477CC0-416

dude that 86 zomfg

Drool%20Rainbows%20HD.png