1976 Datsun 710 4 door

New to Ratsun, but I've been stalking the site for some time. I've always wanted a 510, but have stayed true to my first love, the ae86. When u found this car it had so much character, I knew I couldn't live without out. I'm starting this thread so hopefully I can get some advice and links from the people who know best. More soon, but first some pics.

84C5B4A4-5291-42A3-834F-7199B01DB167-644

BC212D8B-42B9-460D-999B-D1F476D7C3F1-644

• Like 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking for technical threads for 4 link coilover conversions, IRS swaps, sr motor swaps, and various suspension upgrades. Basically, I want to tear the leaf springs out and turn up the juice.

Then use the search bar at the top of the screen. 

Welcome to the site. 

Looking for technical threads for 4 link coilover conversions, IRS swaps, sr motor swaps, and various suspension upgrades. Basically, I want to tear the leaf springs out and turn up the juice.

The '80-'81 S110 had the same (H-165) rear axle and was four link and coils with rear disc brakes.

The '82-'83 S110 changed to an H-190* rear axle that was four link and coils with rear disc brakes.

(where you would anchor the links to the body on a car designed for leaf springs I don't know)

The 610 sedans were similar size and had R-160 IRS. A 280z/zx or 720 R-180* diffs could be swapped in for strength. This seems like a lot of work for little gain. On a high HP car, by the time you stiffened up the suspension and added a sway bar to lessen the camber and toe induced by the squat from acceleration you may as well have kept the solid axle.

* needed to survive an SR swap. The H190 solid axle would be best for all out handling with severe power

I would find a donor 280zx, there basicly parts cars and not alot of interest in most of them. Let someone get there parts car, rob the struts and 5 speed from it, then swoop in for the rear cut. Or just drive it now... I say drive it now.

I don't think a 280zx IRS would fit at all ...... it's quite a bit wider than the PL510 IRS .. . and that doesn't fit at all either

I'd love to see you mock up a GTS axle with discs and LSD,,, just so I can see how "that" fits ... :lol: .... but the H165 is stroger and takes more abuse than you'd think

I'd love to see you mock up a GTS axle with discs and LSD,,, just so I can see how "that" fits ... :lol: .... but the H165 is stroger and takes more abuse than you'd think

I second this emotion . ,,,  for the sake of science .

But i wouldn`t change much ,,, maybe a set of 40s so you can hear that thing through the firewall better.. i would just drive the hell outta that thing

• Like 1

@bananahammock and Indy 510

Gts rear, hmmm for the sake of science? First thought that came to mind was to dump my 20valve and my 2way rear, swap struts and control arms and put all my corollas suspension on it, but unfortunately I just don't have time for two cars to work on at the same time I can barely make time to change my oil as it is.

I think I'm going to keep and eye out for some solid axles that can take a bit of abuse, I.e supra celica rear, and study up on the four link swaps I see all the bagged mini truck guys doing, as they seem to have the technique down to a science.

@tristingrind dammit man can't you see I'm trying to avoid as much legwork as possible haha!

@bonvo found it on club 4ag at 2200$, bought it for 1800$, and still feel I may have overpaid. But when you see something you really really like, it kind of becomes a question of what's it worth to YOU. And for me, the price was high, but the character of the car just really did it for me, and I ended up eating a bit of shit on the price but I'm still as happy as a clam to own it. :)

got it for 700 less then it was listed for when i saw it  i still dont think i would have paid more then 1k for it simply because if you dont touch it as you say is your plan the elements will take there toll on it i personally would want paint on a car if i spend more then 1k

If you can just get the car running with the existing motor. That zx 5 speed has the correct bell housing already. Sourcing the flywheel and clutch and pp and throw out bearing is easy enough. I believe onthe classifieds there is a 5 speed and clutch assem. For 180.00? Good deal. Sounds like you may spread yourself thin between the ae86 and this 710. T3 has the coilover sleeve kits for this and stuff. Either way good luck, hope to see this running and driving. It's a cool looking car. Post some pics of the interior and engine bay.