1976 Datsun 710 4 door

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have all the bit and pieces, but I can't get the lash pad back in the retainer on cyl no 3 because it got chamfered a bit on the lip of the retainer. Also, I suspect the Valvetrain to be mostly toast at this point, but I would still like to piece it back together in hopes that I can keep it running at low rpms as I had planned to smog it before I swapped it. Found what I believe to be either an l20 or u20 at the junkyard with a clean cam and Valvetrain, are these parts interchangeable? I wanna say it was a "u20" out of a 74 datsun pu (521?) also is the whole head interchangeable? It seems to have the same carbuerator as my 710, and same manifold design.

C1C824BA-3E2A-48A3-A103-0776D9A23EFC-151

The vin plate was a bit damaged and the only thing I could see was the displacement (1952?) or something like that.

That looks like a L series in a 620 pickup, it will use the same parts as the motor in the 710. Just make sure the lash pad is the same thickness.

Just a little diagram I made off my phone based off of some quick measurements I took. The upper portion is the leaf spring mounts on the frame of the 710, the lower portion is the gts axle from my corolla. Seems like with custom links the lower links mounts would line up very easily, with the links being symmetrically parallel to each other.

CCA85B61-362F-44BB-9626-D7E3663DFEAC-460

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well gents after some tearing apart of things, I've discovered the car to have sticky valves, whether they are just bent or tweaked I don't know. I've been super busy at work and home, and for some reason I'm a little broke right now. It's like destiny or some force is between me and the Datsun. Oh wait, never mind, it just my new motorcycle.

null-1.jpg

Must agree with the pound here, that is a bad ass 710. Love the mojo and I wouldn't paint it either. Man I even like this more than some 2-doors I've seen.

• Like 2

Wow. You might want to re-assess your plans. A motorcycle takes a lot of regular maintenance and then there is riding it. If you're into that now, that's great but you're not going to get much time to wrench on the Datsun. It would be a shame to see this car sit in your garage and become a bench, that's all. With a lot of hard work and perseverance, this car could be amazing. Oh and money. Older cars take lots of money. The older they are the more expensive they are to maintain . I certainly hope you will get back to it shortly.

Sorry guys this was the 2500 pound 12ft long straw that broke the camels back aka my wife. She hates all three of my cars because I'm always working on them, so I'm selling the only practical car I own, putting the Datsun on the back burner and parking it for a bit until the tension cools, and taking my ae86 with me as I am moving to the coast next month. I'm pretty sure the motorcycle as a Father's Day gift, was also a "please get rid of your projects immediately" gift. But, I'm a stubborn bastard and there's no way I'm getting rid of the 710, it just looks too damn awesome. Once things calm down between my wife and I ill swap the cylinder head out, get it going so I can take it over to the coast. Then start on some simple stuff. Sorry guys but I have 4 kids, and a wife who nearly divorced me over my cars(amongst other things). Let me buff my scratches out, then I can start doing work.

Sorry to hear this is a source of contention. It sounds like your wife doesn't understand that this is something you enjoy, a hobby, and a personal boundary that she shouldn't be crossing.

Some time ago I had to establish with my wife, that my garage and it's contents were mine just as her cultural decorations and furnishings were hers. I went so far as to draft a cost comparison between a car bought on payments with full coverage insurance and my "junk" as she was reffering to.

She was able to see that I saved our household nearly 5k a year, and promptly layed off criticyzing my expense associated with the vehicle(s) I choose to drive and play with. If you have 4 kids, she should be able to see that just as your children enjoy their toys, a man enjoys his junk.

NOW - on the flip side, if you're honestly taking more money for this than is reasonable, maybe you should consider what's causing her frustration. It's something you shouldn't ignore, it seems more of a communication issue, which eventually will cause divorce without any hobbies/junk being involved.

I realize that's alot to say on a forum like this, but maybe it's helpful for the right person reading it. Good luck, it's a road i've been down and fortunately my wife and I are more understanding of each others needs now.

Anyone that has a wife and kids can feel what you are going through, I've already spent $15k on my new project and we have not even began the build yet! Wait till I start spending time on it! Shits gonna hit the fan! Gotta politically do things correct with her and she will at the end conform! Good luck and hope to see this car get built!

Love the car dude! 710's are amazing cars for sure. Women are strange and confusing things... my wife left me last year and diving into my projects are all that have kept me sane. Keep the car and the woman if you can. My situation was a whole different ball game, wife got caught stealing and other lies... basically my story ended up with me divorced and happy with my datsun.

• Like 1
  • 8 months later...