71 dATTO cOMING ALIVE

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I will just keep on this thread instead of opening up another. Now that I have the VG home and going up on a stand.......what crap can I pull off to clean this baby up? All emissions? Let me know if you have striped a VG down for a dime install.......thanks

• 3 weeks later...

This week I got a little done. I spayed two coats eurathane primer on the body. Now I just have to block it out, find my low and high spots, fillem all and spray color...I cant wait. But before I sprayed primer I had to make sure I had everything on the body I wanted to prime. I decided to go down to the wrecking yard and I found 7 Series BMW mirrors that were a perfect shape for the dime. I brought them home, ground down the existing prodruding mounting surfaces to have a flush mout surface. From there I fabbed a mounting plate tho fit in door frame area, and welded it to the window frame. Ground down the welds and duraglassed the new welds. I then took two nuts and welded them to the ends of a metal bracket. I used JB Weld to hold the braket with the nuts to the mounting surface of the mirror. After the JB dried I used fiberglass resin and cloth to coat the entire mounting surface for structural strength. When they were all cured I held the mirrors to the new plate and mad marks where to drill two hole through the mounting plates. Drilled the holes and mounted............I like how it turned outbut it was alot of work :)

366007477_1261370607_01.jpg

• 1 month later...

I am so sick of body work, a whole gallon of primer and months of sanding and i am done. Ive decided sanding sucks and driving is where its at so Im saving up for the paint and clear and calling it good even if theres flaws.........anyways I got bored on my day off and did some more mods

Maxima front hood strut install.....

P9260445.jpg

P9260446.jpg

Then tonight I spent the evening fabing up a aluminum steering box brace, it may flex but should hold the box better than none

P9260447.jpg

P9260448.jpg

Guest jaimesix

Hi.

Those hood struts look great.

I definitely want a set for my Datsuns. Easy instalation?

What year Maxima???

Nice work.

Jaime._______________________________________________________-

I am so sick of body work, a whole gallon of primer and months of sanding and i am done. Ive decided sanding sucks and driving is where its at so Im saving up for the paint and clear and calling it good even if theres flaws.........anyways I got bored on my day off and did some more mods

Maxima front hood strut install.....

P9260445.jpg

P9260446.jpg

Then tonight I spent the evening fabing up a aluminum steering box brace, it may flex but should hold the box better than none

P9260447.jpg

P9260448.jpg

Thanks, honestly I dont know what year. I was at the pull apart and grabbed em just to mess with. Its not easy considering you gotta think of a way to position them without hood interference. And thats hard to do with the hood shut without them mounted into place so its a pain n the ass. Its just alot of thinking of how to implement them. I know alot of car have struts that would work jst gotta work on it

Now my project is really ALIVE!!!! I have been doing the body work for ever and every now and then started her up just to hear it run. I have a truck tranny in it connected to the L and I never had a DL cut down for under it

Today I went to the PAP in tacoma and found a DL out of a Nissan ST truck. It was almost perfect for the length I needed. I brought it home and put the 510 yokes and splines on it and began to install it. SHIT!!!!!!!!! it was about 1/16 too long even to fit without the freeplay needed. I was so pissed and disappointed it wasnt gonna work. I decided screw it what do I got to loose and took the driveline out, put it carefully clamped in the vise and ground the yoke cap of at the welds. Then I used tape and made a even line around the DL and cut it where I needed it. Pounded the yoke cap back on and welded it back together. At first I was skeptical that it was gonna vibrate like crazy unbalanced but again for 12 bucks what did I have to loose? I bolted it in and fired up my car. Threw it in reverse and she started to move!!!!!! So I kept going and before I knew it I was doing 30-40 mph up and down my streets with no windows, seats and just primer. I was sitting on a milk crate with bungie cords holding my doors closed!!!!!!!! The plastic on the dash I had taped down to keep primer of the dash pad was floppin in my face

Finally moves on its own power and its fucking a rush.......Im stoked

I contemplated shortening my DL myself for my KA swap. I kinda wish I had after hearing your success with it.

And yeah, driving a Datsun makes all the hard work worth it doesn't it?

Aaron

Hell ya me too! Once its painted and street legal Ill have to stop bu so you can see it.

Duke

Ya man, I didnt have much too loose.....plus it was sunny and I was tired of starring at in the garage........driving it make the hard work so much more worth it

Right on dude yeah stop by when you got it finished up and everything. well have to make plans cuz im living in Port Angeles right now and going to school, But I'd love to see it!:D

Oh, also if you dont have one I have a 5 speed and i still have those 280zx wheels painted bronze with the chrome lip. PM me if ur interested.

Fuck yeah!!:lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I dont have a windsheild yet but I designed the decal for it when I do. I have always liked the old english gangster style decal vertical down the windsheild so this is what I made and gonna rock on my dime when its done

shit.jpg

Do you like?

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have my car ready.........just sitting here already to go

PA230536.jpg

I even have the paint and clear!!!!!!

PA230538.jpg

But my painter keeps putting it off! AGHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Maybe this weekend I hope.....I CANT wait!!!!!!!

So I got bored and picked up a goody to kill the urge for a week but dang it I want it done soooooo bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PA230539.jpg

Also made a 20" vertical decal for my car windshield when done

PA230541-1.jpg

Oh and a custom 510 Flexfit straight bill hat! HA HA Gotta do something to kill the pain of waiting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PA230542.jpg

PA230543.jpg

Sorry this doesnt really belong in the project section......next will be paint pics I promise

Edited by SRSANDS
Added a picture Ice....geez ur gay

TOMMOROW IS THE DAY.....I have been sanding, rustmoreing, por 15'in, priming, welding, and mostly FUCKING CUSING, SANDING, AND RESANDING, OH AND SWEEPING DUST for 8 months. I have flaws yes, evertime Im out having a beer looking I find something but screw it. TOMMOROW is paint day 9am sharp color and clear is going on. Some of my buddies say dude take your time fix it all.....Im happy with what ive done and am done bodywork I dont care.......TOMMOROW IS THE DAY and Im like a little kid before x-mas Im so stoked I cant sleep:eek: I have half the paint booth set up and ready to roll!!!!, my first intentions for the dime are already far exceeded and know im gonna rally the beast so dents shall come in due time ne ways! :)

Well its done! Yes some well expected flaws, mostly on the hood which im replacing in due time ne ways, some body work shit I overlooked (oopps) and one damn everyday door ding I missed.....anyways Im happy with the results for a garage job

Makeshift Paintbooth in my gargage.....doin work

PB040554.jpg

PB040555.jpg

Almost done! Only two hours later

PB040557.jpg

And the finale!

PB040561.jpg

PB040560.jpg

PB040559.jpg

PB040562.jpg

No not Integra seats.....SER seats I sold......these are actually custom upolstered black with red stitching second gen celica seats front and back,,,,just liked the look more :) Not as racey but who am I racing with a L motor ha ha aha