Fisch's Suzuki Swift GTi

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

saw one of these today and couldn't believe how tiny it was!

as cool as they are, i'd never be able to tote the kids around in one ...

No kidding they are SMALL! My wife and I keep saying the same thing. I parked it in the garage where the mazda mpv usually is (and next to the 521) and it felt like an ocean around it comparatively. It really is like being in a go-cart.

Luckily my daughter is only 5 years old and still fits back there really well.

And though Suzuki is still around in the US I went to their website, and don't see the swift listed, but in other parts of the world you can totally still get it.

You'd think with the gas prices they would try to bring it back here.

well... the metro became the aveo... and with poor sales numbers due to poor design progression (for the US market) it was bound to happen.

Yup I thought I read somewhere that the suzuki car stuff was starting to get a lot of korean parts, etc. And the quality went down. But I am no expert on modern suzuki cars by any means.

Thought I'd share some shots of the clean underside and engine (Which hasn't had any detailing ever by the looks of it.) Man I gotta make that valve cover prettier!

You can see the factory rear swaybar in one of these shots. (people like to put bigger ones on.) They had a front one too. Pretty beefy for something the size of a rollerskate.

Engine.jpg

Under3.jpg

Under2.jpg

Under1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
41mpg!!!!!!!thats good

Im waiting for a Subaru Justy 4dr w/ the push button 4WD system

Hey HAinz, there is one for sale in your neck of the woods right now!

Alas, automatic...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-Trucks___1990-SUBARU-JUSTY-AUTOMATIC-4-DOOR-AWD_W0QQitemZ140256429172QQddnZCarsQ20Q26Q20TrucksQQddiZ2282QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140256429172&_trkparms=39%3A1|65%3A10|240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&timeout=1218648118831

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My dad still talks about getting his ass handed to him by a Swift when those were new (almost 20 years ago)...of course he was in a Triumph Spitfire. The Swift/Metros are great cars and pretty underrated performers. As a side-note, a buddy of mine and his brother used one of those engines to power one of those parachute-plane things. The engine is mounted on it's side and has a custom made pan and oil pickup. If I can get info on it or pics I'll post 'em.

• 3 weeks later...

Fisch...you got a good one man!;)

Seriously though, when I used to turn wrenches for a living, we had one of these in the shop from time to time and that little rollerskate would boogie!

Lots of torque, handles great and gets what..like 40 miles per gallon at the same time?:lol:

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

Fisch...you got a good one man!;)

Seriously though, when I used to turn wrenches for a living, we had one of these in the shop from time to time and that little rollerskate would boogie!

Lots of torque, handles great and gets what..like 40 miles per gallon at the same time?:lol:

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!

You know it! I really am loving this little nugget, and it has consistantly brought 37-39 mph. Sure there are faster cars out there, sure there are more fuel efficient cars out there. BUT one usually is a compromise to the other. And for the low cash (hell under 10G when it was brand new! and would match or beat the porsch 944) you can't have much more fun.

There are only two things I wish it had, rear wheel drive and a datsun badge!

so when you going to draw up some fancy dancy zuki swift art? I cant wait to see the way your mind sees that little skittle

HA I've been thinking about it! Almost gave it a street fighter scheme, but decided that would look better on a 510.

Mine is as plain as can be at the moment, so I gotta think of something. My first thought is wheels... I am an old school kinda guy so I thought about some Hoshino Impuls. Or any vintage Datsun rim. Only problem is the offset on the old datto stuff might make the wheels stick out too far.

I'd like to see it w/ some of those Z car flares that you see the mounting points on... might not work though.

So yeah as you can see I am pondering it!

I like some of the 'rat' look the Dub guys started and is spreading to other makes. But alot of it is kinda poserish, like sanding down your hood and spraying acid on it so it will rust. It is like putting fake holes in your jeans. But the other elements, like checkerboard, all the stickers, roof racks. i kinda dig that stuff! I LOVE the checkered banded stockies on the corsa van in this pic!

1%20cover%20page.JPG?maxw=542

• 1 year later...

Been a long time since I've updated this thread! But as you can imagine it doesn't get much attention with the '59 and the 521 in the garage. Thankfully it doesn't need much attention! But it came up in conversation so I found this link again.

So as a little update, I put Synchromesh trans fluid in the gearbox and it pretty much stopped the buzzing I was getting downshifting from 3rd to second. Suzuki had put out a bulletin telling dealerships to do that fluid swap, and I'd recommend it to anyone and any car that has a bit of buzzing.

It still has the annoying idle issues on startup. It will rev up and down by itself for like a minute, then settles, and is totally fine once warm. FI gremlins drive a guy crazy. No wonder I dream of a carbed VG30 rather than FI.

I've adjusted the TPS, just replaced the IAC and a couple hoses, cleaned the MAF. My guess now is it has to do with the temp sender not knowing if the car is warmed up or cold. But like I said, it runs fine once warm. I have a couple more sensord on hand to replace. Just need to do it. The lifters are a bit noisy on startup, but read they are pretty easy to remove and clean. Just need to find the time. But once again, once warm, they seem fine.

It was having a starting issue. As in it wouldn't turn over at all. I thought it was the starter, but read on the swift forums that the key switch goes bad in almost all of them. Many people have replaced the starters for no reason. The fix was adding a simple relay.

Added a sony head and some speakers to get some tunes. But honestly I'd rather listen to that engine! Freakin music right there!

The funny thing is I got it as something I would daily even in winter, but haven't had the heart to do so! The only rust I've found on this car is one spot under the battery tray. So only if I have no option do I take it out once the first snowflake falls. And I can think of maybe 2 times I have done it. Thankfully I work at home, so I don't have to go many places at all.

I really love this car! If I am feeling grumpy and go for a drive, I come out smiling every time! I think the only thing I would trade it for is a Datsun 1200 or 510. If it was RWD I'd probably never get rid of it.

I hear what your saying about not letting it rust, but i bet it would be a lot of fun in the snow! Could you undercoat it or do anything to stop it? Is your area salted once the snow starts? FYI-i have been running Z car wheels {snowflakes/swazis} on our FWD 1994 altima and they don't stick out at all. they are nice and flush with the fenders. Look sweet too! i ran 18" modern mesh style wheels forever on that car and took them off to use 25 yr old ZX wheels!

• 1 year later...

Hey Ratsun braintrust! You guys are smart about many things and I am gearing up to sell my swift to daily my 510, but I have some issues I was hoping you could advise me on.

I am thinking I have a motor mount issue.

A)- When I start off in first, I feel the shifter pull to the right in my hand. Second as well. Actually any time I am putting down some torque. In the upper gears without a lot of torque on it it is fine.

B)- I feel a vibration in my seat whenever I am in the 3k RPM range.

C)- Hearing a knock in what I am guessing is the front passenger CV.

I am guessing it is all related and has me thinking motor mounts? Am I on the right track? Can you get a knock in the CV from the drivetrain being pulled out of alignment from the bad mount(s)?

Sorry if this is pretty straight forward. Y'all know I am more visual than mechanical. I am going to go poke around with a pry bar and see how easily things move.

Heh, so I should have popped the hood before I asked the question. Turns out the bolts connecting the mount to the block on the passenger side had SNAPPED! The engine had dropped on the left and was putting pressure on the CV and everything!

Ummm time for some grade 8, but I have to extract a bolt first.

For sure, I was so lucky. The timing cover was being pushed into the wheelwell! But everything is so tight in there I couldn't' even see the mount to see it was broken. It is like the Forrest and Tree. I was looking for individual trees, ans when I stood back and saw the forest I was like, "What the hell the whole engine is tilted!"

Man it is a bad ass little car though. I've been driving it the last two days, I usually keep it parked all winter. Redlines at like 8k. Rides like it is on rails. And a sweet sounding engine!

I had half a mind to put this mill in a Datsun by mating the dohc with a Samurai block. But that rear mount distributor makes it pretty long.

I imagine I will sell it soon so I can daily the dime, but I will miss it and the often 38-40MPG it gets me! I just don't need 5 cars!

• 3 months later...

I'd be very interested to know if the Swift brake discs would fit on a 510 stock hub even if you had to redrill. my understanding is there is even a Brembo vented rotor and 4 pot caliper for the swift that is might fit behind a 510 stock steelie. Even if I had to use a 8 or 20mm spacer, it would be a cool stealth brake upgrade.