Restoring 1970 Datsun

First of all I would like for anyone to tell me how I would be able to tell if my pickup truck I am trying to restore is a 520 or a 521 , when I bought it the man didn't know either and it has no badges on it. the transmission is the stock 5 speed I believe but the motor was replaced with a 1.6 liter engine. I'm also needing help finding a radiator for my project any help would be greatly appreciated ! first time Datsun owner and restorer (:

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all I would like for anyone to tell me how I would be able to tell if my pickup truck I am trying to restore is a 520 or a 521 , when I bought it the man didn't know either and it has no badges on it. the transmission is the stock 5 speed I believe but the motor was replaced with a 1.6 liter engine. I'm also needing help finding a radiator for my project any help would be greatly appreciated ! first time Datsun owner and restorer (:

Need a photo of the front, neither the 520 or the 521 came with a 5 speed.

What does the VIN plate say in the engine compartment?

This is my 520 VIN plate.

DSCN0022.jpg

See the location of the plate on the firewall.

DSCN0787.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone know where I could find a radiator for a manual 70's 520 or 521 pickup , the truck is a manual I asked my local auto parts stores to see if they could help me out but with no luck. motor is a 1.6 liter engine. ill try getting better pictures up when I can. any info or links; information of any sort would be appreciated

http://icruz-5.tumblr.com/

I read somewhere (Wayno or DanielC?) that a VW rabbit radiator works as a substitute for a stock 521 radiator.  Different but workable fit and it has larger cooling capacity? 

(If I'm talking out my a** set me straight on that)

thank you "rocket dog" ! ill be searching for one if you find any links please let me know (:

trying to get my Datsun on the road as soon as I can , and thanks for letting me know its a 521 "wayno" how are you able to tell ?

all of this is all new to me thanks for all the help ! and info on my truck , hope you all think it was a descent decision on buying it in the condition that it is.

"thisismatt" im from California ha near Santa Barbara ...exact town not saying.

you just blew my mind ! I was sure this was a 520 from the rough searching I did online aha ill take your word for it , I can sure tell the difference on the front end (:

did only the 521's come with the double headlights ? "wayno"

It was not me who said you could use a VW rabbit radiator in a 521, but I am NOT saying you cannot.  I do nor know.

I think in 1968, 520 trucks got 4 headlights.  1969 the model was changed to a 521, flatter hood, and fenders.  Also got side marker lights, and an L-16 engine.

There are two threads about the differences in 521 trucks.

It was not me who said you could use a VW rabbit radiator in a 521, but I am NOT saying you cannot.  I do nor know.

I think in 1968, 520 trucks got 4 headlights.  1969 the model was changed to a 521, flatter hood, and fenders.  Also got side marker lights, and an L-16 engine.

There are two threads about the differences in 521 trucks.

The '69 521 was still the 67hp J13 engine (L521TU and G521 long body), 521 went on sale in late '68. 70 is the 96hp L16 (PL521TU). Basically, everything forward of the firewall for the cab is different between the 520 and 521.

you just blew my mind ! I was sure this was a 520 from the rough searching I did online aha ill take your word for it , I can sure tell the difference on the front end (:

did only the 521's come with the double headlights ? "wayno"

Here is another 520 with double(4) headlights, it's a 1967 according to the thread title.

1967Datsun520002.jpg