thought on wyotech?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes theres more local tech schools that can give you just about the same amount of knowledge at half the price. I attended UTI and wasn't too excited about any of the bland general material. Later some friends of mine attended Palm Beach State College's automotive program (South Florida based). I got a chance to sneak peak at some of their material they had to work with, it had way more depth and not even half the price of some of these big name schools.

First of, that's good you are asking about their reputation.  Most young kids don't ask and they get enamored by their commercials and slick brochures with promises of making good money but the truth is different.

I've been a Career Counselor for over 20 years and I think they were called Suquoia at one time.  I would YELP them or type teir name and also conusmer or rip off website, you will find plenty of complaints.  Their counselors are more like Sales Counselors and not Career Couselors. They get paid to sell you their program.  In other words, you are seen as a possible commision. when you walk in through their door.

I've seen a lot of Wyotech graduates come through our program and I'm not impressed.  Most dealerships and typical mechanic shops will not hire you unless you are experienced and ASE certified.  Typical experience they want is at least 2 years.  As a result I see a lot of graduates, working at Jiffy Lube or an autoparts store.  The sad thing is you don't need to have cert. to work at these places.

You are better off going to a community college that has an internship with a local auto dealership.  Several of the community colleges, in my area, have internships with Honda. Or maybe an R.O.P (Regional Occupational Program), which is very cheap as compared to "Wyotech". 

How much are they charging you?  They probably also said you can get financial aid.  Of course you can but you will have topay that back and you can't write this thing off, it's a federal gov'.t loan.  Did you also know that economist predict that the next bubble is going to be financial aid.  This already surpassed credit card loans.  So Caveat Emptor...

• Like 1

i know a few friends that went to wyotech every last one of them is busting tires for a living some of them know there stuff but thats because the knew it going in as far as the automotive branch i think you can get a much better education in the automotive field threw other schools 

I wouldn't give up on going to any technical school. It's a good way to get your foot in the door. I got an associates degree in communication electronics. I kept working at my same old job until the place closed. When I went to file for unemployment, my associates degree allowed me to apply for the avionics job I have had for the last 12 years. Now, in addition to opening tons of doors in the aviation field, I still have the electronics degree for non aviation jobs.

I wouldn't recommend getting education in a very narrow field. If you get a training in an automotive field, you limit yourself to automotive jobs. Which is fine if you can find that great job. I think you would set yourself up for success by getting a degree in something that allows you lateral flexibility.

$30,000 a year...HELL NO! Speaking from experience go to a real college and get a real education and a Real job all while spending less money. I made 30 to 40k per year as a dealer mechanic. I wouldn't recommend anyone for this crappy job as a career move. Low pay and the company tries to screw you over every chance they get. I work 60 plus hours a week too. And spend thousands on damned tools too.

• Like 1

Any of the big automotive schools is great if you don't mind spending your first few years out of school changing oil for $9 an hour. Also, contracting jobs overseas are almost all guaranteed to make at least 100k a year for even the most menial crap. If you don't have kids or a wife it's easy money. You'd be on the FOB more than likely at all times so it's not like you'll be getting shot at on a constant basis. It might be a good way to save up a ton of money quickly and use it to supplement your income while you go to school or whatever afterwards. It's not just warzones either. Qatar, UAE, and Saudi have some high paying jobs as well. Anywhere the is American military there is guaranteed to be some money made.

I went to UTI, its a good program but you get what you put in. I came out with a 3 ring binder full of certifications and certificates for resume fodder - but I've worked with guys that went through that didn't get one. It depends on what you want to do. I graduated in 2-'03 and immediatley got a job at Nissan and have been with Nissan for 10 years yesterday. If you want to go the dealership route most would rather take you as a lube tech with basic tools and teach you the way they want you to do it.

Any of you need guidance about Careers let me know, know more about this than Datsun stuff.  Got may Master's degree in Counseling Education from SJSU and solid experience in this field for over 20 years.  IMO, the military is a good option because you egt to learn a trade and get practical exp. but there's always a catch. It's called war. But if you join the USAF, in which case I did for 4 years, and there's a war you will be behind enemy lines. Most USAF personnel are support troops, unless you are a pilot, rescue, special ops.  The Navy is fairly good too. But I heard it's harder to get in now than when I went in.  Another good thing about the military is you'll get paid while going to school and you will also have money for schooling when you get out.  They also have sign bonus for special trades.  So this is one option, the other option like mentioned earlier is look into an ROP program, Regional Occupational Program. These programs are funded by the government and will cost a penny to a dollar, as compared to a private tech school.  Or it may even free if you are low income.  The key is know what you are passionate about what your natural inclinations lean towards. Some like working the their hands, some like helping people, like me. Some don't like supervision and they want to run their own show or have their own business. To me it's exciting and frustrating at the same time, trying to find what you will do as a career while making money so that you can support yourself or family.  At any rate..good luck.

my son is 17 and we have been looking at options for him after he graduates next year. community college, tech schools, work experience, military, etc.

i see your second post says you can't go military or else you would. not sure what the restriction is, but if at all possible, i would look at the the reserves. you can get full benefits, go to school near home, and get training in a field while you are at it. we are leaning towards that direction to advise our son. check their websites for genral info and see a recruiter if you want, take a friend or parent if you want for a second opinion. no need to sign up the first time, get as much info as you can, make sure you get what you want as far as possible job assignments, any signing bonus, length of service, etc. treat it like searchng for a job or buying a car, make sure you get what you want.

do not confuse national guard with the reserves. guard can get deployed very easily. from what i've seen in my research is air force reserves have free community college at their campuses, most all have acces to the G.I. bill for tuition benefits. navy reserves looks good and don't forget coast guard reserves, may be more forgiving on any resrtictions keeping you from joining, extremely rare to be deployed over seas, possible to go to another base for 2 week training (like guam or something), but otherwise stationed for weekends locally near any body of water (rivers, lakes, ports, coast)

and all seem to have some cool jobs that you can use in the future. if you can work on airplanes, helicopters, ships, etc... you can work on anything in the real world.

i never have been in the military so can't speak from any personal experience or have any agenda to push people to join. but as a father looking out for the interest of my son, i see this as a viable option for young people to pursue and definitely benefit from. i wish someone had explained this to me 20+ years ago. (i could be retired in a couple more years...)

if anyone has better knowledge, experience, or sees i am not correct in any of this, please reply as i would appreciate any additional feedback for our own decisions coming up as well. 

best of luck to you young man.

Navy has been downsizing for a few years now and a result, I got the boot with the option of a severance check (gladly take) and a catch of 3yrs in the Reserves (either drilling or inactive) or basically you could say I'm being laid off lol. Navy for example isn't actively recruiting as most of the tech fields of work are all overmanned lol. I've been turning wrenches in the aviation field for almost 8yrs now, but now I'll be turning my focus towards the automotive field and starting school later this year down at Clover Park Technical College in Tacoma (why I'm considering moving to Olympia), You should move north a bit Dat77 :), more ratsuns up here!

Personally, some of the worst people that join the military are the ones that solely join for education benefits, I've met my share of those people and they are worthless to work with. I deployed to Afghanistan for 9 months working for the Army and basically worked at a prison lol. All the Army and airforce that we worked for were National Guard units and a airforce reserve unit, not too mention most of my rag tag group was mostly all reservists too. 

I was given two choices my senior year in High School, College or Military, I chose the latter because I absolutely did not want to go to school for another two or four years, didn't know what I would study anyway, and it would all be coming out of my pocket, so I'd rather work and military aircraft had always interested me growing up, so I went to the aviation side. Left for boot 3 weeks after graduating HS. Now I have a better idea of what I want to do for College, I was really against it for the longest time and learned early on I couldn't balance school with working so I'll just be a full time student this time around.