thought on wyotech?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

People's experience will be different.  I still remember what my drill instructor told us..1). Put all your shit in one bag- meaning get organize 2). The military will break you or make you - meaning it's what you make out of it also means to have an open mind. Not everyone cain join the military or the military may not be for them, specially if you don't like structure or you don't see this experience as a mind game. When I was in met too many that had a bad attitude and did some crazy things and, of course, they got stripes taken away or they got kicked out.  People wake up this is the military, they have to have order.  It's not about you anymore, it's about your unit or flight.

If the military is not for you, then do your homework/research. With today's tech., it's so easy to find info. about various schooling.  But go beyond that..talk to people who's been there and done that, YELP the vocational school or type in Better Business Bureau, take their brochure and marketing ploys with a grain of salt. Their motivation is to recuit you for their voc. school because it means money for them and like I said they are not Career Counselors but a Sales Counselor.  Good Luck.

Only join the automotive field if you want to be broke for the years to come... Don't go into debt trying to get into the field either. I've got an AAS in automotive technology and I was a tech for a bit.. had to quit cause I was tired of making minimum wage.

• Like 1

Sometimes the hurt is good because it has the potential of making one to do something worthwhile. Remember what Newton said, an object at rest stays at rest, an object in motion stays in motion...you need time to heal and think about the next step. Hope u find what u are looking for. Just try not to do anything in desperation.

I went to Wyotech in Blairsville, PA. I took the 6 month automotive course, the 3 month high performance powertrains course, the 3 month chassis fab course, and the 3 month street rod course. I have close to $60k in loans that I'm paying off at the tune of $580 a month. I know a boat load of stuff, can work on anything, BUT, I only use 10% of what I learned in the chassis fab course. I weld for a living, that's all I do. And they don't focus on the common types of welding or even structural welding. They called stick welding antiquated, but that's a lot of what my shop uses. They only TIG up to 1/8 inch aluminum, and they only MIG up to 3/16. Since I've been working, I've welded 5/8" steel, and 1/2" aluminum constantly. If you want to learn the same stuff, go to your community college and ask them what they have. The welding course at the local school here is $4200. And they cover everything and make sure you're certifiable at the end.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Many times a skilled trade is better than a degree, all depends on the degree too. I work on the railroad and it is amazing how many people i work with have degrees. They came to the railroad because the degree didn't make them very much money. 

And if you're looking to make decent money, get certified in flux core welding. It's used on pipeline, ship building, and structural. And crazy money is being made in North Dakota in the frack fields

Douglas wyoming is the next North Dakota. The oil field here is even bigger. 

Personally, some of the worst people that join the military are the ones that solely join for education benefits, I've met my share of those people and they are worthless to work with. I deployed to Afghanistan for 9 months working for the Army and basically worked at a prison lol. All the Army and airforce that we worked for were National Guard units and a airforce reserve unit, not too mention most of my rag tag group was mostly all reservists too. 

THIS. People who join just for school are always dirt bags. I did 5 years active Army and have been in the National Guard for 5 years now. Every troop I meet who is "just  in for college money" is a complete dirt bag. Do it for patriotism and to learn something valuable. Also use some commong sense when choosing a career field. Ejection Seat Mechanic or Bomb Loader are not exactly skills you can use in the civilian world. Plus, considering the administration just pulled tuition assistance, you can't go to school free right now anyway. The best way to do it IMO is to do 3 years active duty. That way you get the Post 9/11 GI Bill which pays tuition plus gives you E5 Housing Allowance to live on (that amount of money depends on where you live/the school is). Reserve Select GI bill is crap. Active military experience always looks good on a job resume as well. It shows you have worked for a living and haven't just been some terd, do nothing college student that is getting a basket weaving degree and thinks he is worth $70k a year just because he has a degree and part time experience at Arbys.

BTW RaptorReed, were you in a NPDB?