Bought a ZX and forgot about the permit

This is weird.... 

1: When I press on the brake, the wheel becomes unturnable by hand like it should. 
2: The side brake wire is in tension and the caliper side lever thing is at its maximum point
3: But the Side brake is still turnable by hand,

and I cant even get the wheel off because the car keeps on rolling. 

I'm guessing I have to do a damn caliper rebuild?   
It can't be worn pads...  Brake still works... 
It can't be loose cable...  Its in tension 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The S110 has a similar set up. When I getr home I'll read up on how it works and how to adjust it. I believe the piston is working hydraulically by the peddle, but the frame that holds it has to be 'floating'. If it's seized the hand brake may not be moving it. Basically the piston is only pushing on one side. You could try hammering the caliper holder side to side to loosen it.

Could also just be a matter of very worn down pads and rotors. Like way out of spec. I'd put a few drops of wd40 or penetrating oil down the line to make absolutely sure that the line isn't rusted frozen (which happened in mine, and that didn't unstick it so I cut the line)

Since you do seem to have time, might as well r&r the rear brakes. Clean the brake cables, take off the calipers and clean and re-grease the caliper pins and bodies. If it still has old grease the pins will not slide and wear the pads prematurely. 

looks like WD40 did some what of a trick...  It works at 6 clicks now.   

but will check out the caliper / rotor if i get long enough wrench/cross wrench for the wheel, cause I cant remove it with the stock one. 

Put the car in gear and wheel chocks, then use your foot on the stock lug wrench.

Some people switch away from the shiny chrome trim look and go to black trim.

I like your car. It looks a bit better than the 1979-81 version. Good choice. My first Z was an '82 280ZX.

ST makes some good lowering springs you can slap in there. i think they are around $199 from shox.com You can even trim them a little more to lower more or even out the drop. Mine looked like the back was up a little higher once it was all put in place.

Some people switch away from the shiny chrome trim look and go to black trim.

I like your car. It looks a bit better than the 1979-81 version. Good choice. My first Z was an '82 280ZX.

ST makes some good lowering springs you can slap in there. i think they are around $199 from shox.com You can even trim them a little more to lower more or even out the drop. Mine looked like the back was up a little higher once it was all put in place.

yeah, well I'm planning on getting wheels then maybe S13 stance coilovers ( since 6 month (permit hold time thingy) should be enough to earn 1k lol)  or Egay coilovers for like 400 if I lose my patience. 

yeah, well I'm planning on getting wheels then maybe S13 stance coilovers ( since 6 month (permit hold time thingy) should be enough to earn 1k lol) or Egay coilovers for like 400 if I lose my patience.

Why wait? Do it yourself now while you have time. You seen to know what you're doing with the bumper. (hell I wouldn't even begin to think of doing that) Stance your car yourself, learn more about your supension. Being able to say "Yeah, I dropped it myself" ... priceless.

Got no money? Don't pay money for springs!!! You can still do stuff yourself. Like remove the strut, take spring out and remove a coil. This will increase the spring rate and make it stiffer. Cut the lower spring mount off and grind the weld down and use split collars to adjust the height. Empty the thin hydraulic oil out of the dampers and refill with 20 W hydraulic oil (I used motorcycle fork oil) and assemble. Firmer ride with like new shock absorbers and adjustable ride height. I did this on my 710 goon when replacing the struts with those from a Maxima. Total cost was under $50.  Then do the backs.

Here's some of it. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/24412-my-76-710-goon/page-5

Why wait? Do it yourself now while you have time. You seen to know what you're doing with the bumper. (hell I wouldn't even begin to think of doing that) Stance your car yourself, learn more about your supension. Being able to say "Yeah, I dropped it myself" ... priceless.

Of course I'm doing it my self lol (will need some help finding person with grinder and welder to adapt frot coilover for s13 in houston area tho)

And im gettin my paycheck this week. Hopefully i can buy the wheel im looking at this week

And also, sorry mike but the whole reason im savin up for coilovers is because 1. 280zx are cartridge type gas shocks.... Cant switch oil 2. I need MOAR back space ... The stock spring perch on the zx is big as russia its self.