Bought a ZX and forgot about the permit

You'd better try and read this then....

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/43042-93-eclipse-gs-widebody/

Lol, I mean It doesnt have to card board.. It can be sheet metal, what ever that can shape easily and is paintable works. 

I was thinking about card board + putty / resin / epoxy only because its cheap easy to shape, and doesn't rust 

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it doesnt rust!   its perfect, all we have to do is make cars out of cardbord...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant

"News reports inaccurately described them as having cardboard bodies. This is likely due to the fact that the body of the Trabant was Duroplast, a material that, in East German production, often made use of varying quantities of different fibres, such as cotton, or occasionally paper."

Save up and buy a fiberglass kit made from a mold please, you'll regret not doing it. Or if you have contacts and Japan see if they will ship out a "jdm" front lip and bumper

ZX is a sweet first car, Driving around even the NA it was quite fun after some basic maintenance and tune-up it'll run great.

So smooth up on the freeway in 5th, and the late models have the best gearing! 

If your suspension is all loose, I'd suggest getting some basic upgrades there and inspecting all steering components.. my 182k mile one was scary how loose it was, all my steering components where rusted and had barely any grease in them before I worked through the suspension. 

P1000074.JPG

Broken hatch struts suck! New pair of hatch struts on amazon $35. I put them on my ZX they are great!

http://www.amazon.com/Nissan-Window-Supports-Struts-Springs/dp/B007RVQX92/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1362432072&sr=8-1&keywords=1983+280zx+hatch+struts

Save up and buy a fiberglass kit made from a mold please, you'll regret not doing it. Or if you have contacts and Japan see if they will ship out a "jdm" front lip and bumper

eh, I'm not a fan of Aero on 280zx. I like the stock bumper Airdam .Only one I like is the Arita-speed one that looks close to stock. I might as well go buy one the next time I go vacation to japan.  All the other body kits like MSA and xenon looks terrible when its used without side skirts and side skirts looks terrible without rear skirt and so on....   Not my style

• Like 1
im paying attention to this thread because youre in texas, dont fuck your car up.  

also trabants were known for being edible, hardly a desired quality in a modern car

lol, I'm personally into Shakotan / stance / flush style.  Wont go PPK low though, the roads around Houston is terrible.

ZX is a sweet first car, Driving around even the NA it was quite fun after some basic maintenance and tune-up it'll run great.

So smooth up on the freeway in 5th, and the late models have the best gearing! 

If your suspension is all loose, I'd suggest getting some basic upgrades there and inspecting all steering components.. my 182k mile one was scary how loose it was, all my steering components where rusted and had barely any grease in them before I worked through the suspension. 

Broken hatch struts suck! New pair of hatch struts on amazon $35. I put them on my ZX they are great!

The rack and pinion and allignment was done by the last owner. Theres a little bit of play in the steer near center but once you turn the thing its right on accurate so It should be fine.  

Yeah, plannin on fixing that hatch strut later.   I'm just doing the essential stuff for now to make it atleast "shower" ready.   

P1000147.JPG

Yeah, With stock wheels The no bumper thing is hideous... 
But once I get nough money to lower the thing I probably will do it... 
(The turn signal assy's corroded plastic broke and now the rusted & seized bolt is just stuck in the bumper...   Curses) 

P1000148.JPG

To Mom- Thanks for the Key holder and the Hat! Will treasure it!. 

If you were closer id be down to build a spoiler and airdam for that thing, people can say say what they want about my eclipse but im starting to make some stock pieces like hoods out of fiberglass for z's and camaro's.

IMO, I'd of cut out the rust and fiberglassed over it.

Don't do that please. If your going to do rust repair do it right. Get some sheet metal and lean how to weld if you down know how yet. My friend just bought a '82 celica and it has foam, bondo, an aluminum foil in the weirdest places

• Like 1
Don't do that please. If your going to do rust repair do it right. Get some sheet metal and lean how to weld if you down know how yet. My friend just bought a '82 celica and it has foam, bondo, an aluminum foil in the weirdest places

For a floor pan, of course I'd use sheetmetal, for a fender or body panel I don't see the down side to using fiberglass, and I meant as an alternative to the putty. Welded can be a bitch and you have to have a welder or access to one and know how to use it, fiberglass work is fairly simple and easy to learn. Bondo is trash, doesn't have any flex like lead or gelcoat when it comes to fix panels so if the metal is stressed at all and flex or stretches the bondo cracks, with gelcoat and and lead they have some flex and stretch a bit in situations like that. Personally I'm not a fan of welding when it comes to body work, which spans from a rusted fender to paint prep, fiberglass and gelcoat are easier to use, aren't stressful on the eye's, and is easy to get a hold of and use.

sorry, but I don't have money to buy a damn welder....  So everywhere thats not part of the main body structure I have to stick with Fiberglass, metal putty or bodyfiller....    I will however for the rusted passenger floor panel (I cant remove the seat yet so I dont know HOW bad it is.... the bolt is completely rusted) leave it to a professional when I save up enough money.