Cali smog ???

So I got a 79 Datsun 510 unfortunately I still have to smog... and i finally got enough money to do my ka swap but had some questions on weather smoging would be a pain and is it worth the trouble of flipping crossmember and wiring and countless other things that are involved in a swap?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

By the time the next inspection due date comes up, you have the new engine but get a pass on smog inspection due to vehicle age.

What?

You would have to bring all the emissions related equipment from the donor vehicle to the 510.  This includes fuel return system, evap system, transmission, catalytic converter, OEM manifolds/piping/filter/resonator, etc.

I already have this vehicle registered smogged and insured under my name I smogged it in November of last year so I think it's ever 2 years that they need a new smog test .., but will I have to find someone that will falsify the smog report or is their a way to do it right and not have to worry about it?

I already have this vehicle registered smogged and insured under my name I smogged it in November of last year so I think it's ever 2 years that they need a new smog test .., but will I have to find someone that will falsify the smog report or is their a way to do it right and not have to worry about it?

It is legal to do a motor swap so long as all the emissions equipment gets installed with it.  You will then have to take it to a referee to get signed off, after which you'll be able to get it smogged without issue.

Actually no. It is a well kept process. Many people convert to propane for about $1K, referee it and the remove and sell it. They're done.

The other "secret" is to get a P.O. box in a county that does not require smog for your registration. This is real popular with the last gen RX7 guys with the V8 conversions.

And for us VW guys, it's either a 75 re-titile or a diesel title. Obviously the other option is to go to diesel and your done again.

Do a propane conversion, get it inspected at a ref station. Your done with smog forever after that.

From another forum that emailed the head of the California Air Research Board:

"California regulations prohibit conversion of emission-controlled vehicles with retrofit systems to operate on alternative fuels, such LPG, unless the retrofit systems have been evaluated and certified by the Air Resources Board (ARB). Assuming your vehicle was converted using a retrofit system certified for that vehicle, you will need to contact the manufacturer (based on your email, it would be IMPCO) and request a label. I don't know whether it's common practice for manufacturers to re-issue labels (i.e. if fallen off after long use) and if they do, whether they would require inspection/documentation (i.e. sales receipt)."

Basically if it doesnt have a CARB sticker saying it is approved by ARB your not going to smog your vehicle. I have been trying to find a loop hole for a over a year. Im at the point of selling my propane set up. "
The other "secret" is to get a P.O. box in a county that does not require smog for your registration. This is real popular with the last gen RX7 guys with the V8 conversions.

And for us VW guys, it's either a 75 re-titile or a diesel title. Obviously the other option is to go to diesel and your done again.

This works quite well though.