Oldy but a goodie for a youngster

Awesome Atom! It is the perfect candidate for a major swap like this. You still thinking of trying to get the column shift to work? I want to see a smoky burn-out!

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Atom! It is the perfect candidate for a major swap like this. You still thinking of trying to get the column shift to work? I want to see a smoky burn-out!

Yes. And yes. Haha. My hope was to make the factory column shift work. Though my first plans won't work out. I have three more I am going to try. I would rather not have a shifter on the floor after going to the trouble of getting the engine that low. I want it to look stock inside. Hahah.

hmmm wonder if a narrowed toyota truck rear end would work, as I have my doubts that the stocker would be able to handle a ka double cammer

I have access to a Chevy rear axle for free I might pick up. Same lug pattern and easy options for disc brakes

My brother swapped out headlight bezels before I got home from work. He said he was going to post photos.

I didn't get much done today since I didn't make it too clack steel in time. But I did polish the chrome on the doors! Turned out beautiful.

3A8A11A1-B443-453D-9D55-C1B2661A2F0E-119

9C0B7BB8-354E-4FAA-8F74-07FD785151BB-119

322B1FF4-ED9B-4A4A-A41B-137810FECB0E-119

E16C17F8-35AD-4E54-97A5-D5226E6526E0-119

chevy axles are notoriously difficult to narrow, why do you think hot rodders tend to go with ford 9" . I was thinking of the Toyota rear as someone on here narrowed one for a 521 and it is fairly easy to find an LSD for it too

Hmm. These are good thoughts I will think about that. The only things that are set in my mind are motor and ride height. Everything else is up in the air.

also you dont need to narrow a toyota axle for a 521. it fits just fine
 unless you have crazy wheels, however this thing with something skinny,i was thinking a 320 axle or a 521 axle

yeah why not, its as strong as a toyota axle. the 4.10 (toyota) is the strongest from what i have seen, also the fastest (unfortunatly), i run them for strength and gear my tranfer cases (yes more than one with 4.7's in the back case) for a final drive of over 207:1, so way the heck down for crawling and thats with stock axle shafts . doesnt help that i am running 40 inch tires either.  however the l16 has a 4.375 ratio in their rear end and i have a few of those laying around here. i will go take some measurements for my brother. but at least i have them here and we dont have to buy anything haha. and at minimum the 521 was rated as half ton rear end.... he wont be pulling that nor can he fit a half ton of anything in the car. and he wont have enough traction to shear the shaft off at the splines because the car doesnt weigh enough. haha i think it will be able to handle it. if need be we can make something else.

any ideas on it? more than happy to for more information on the actual strength of the datsun axles?

I think I am goin to run the stock axle for a while an se what it can handle. Haha. Just throw some lowering blocks on it and gather everything for a swap later. It will help the money situation and it will be fun to see what happens though the braking situation might change this.

I'm excited for your build this is going to be a sweet little car.

The I-Beam axle is a great idea but I recommend looking at Ford I-Beams. The options for dropped beams & spindles are far greater, it's what all the hot rodders use.

I don't know of anyone making dropped spindles for Chevy I-Beams & its not as simple as swapping out spindles from one beam to the next. Not only do you have to be mindful of the king pin size but the camber of the wheel is set by the beam & the spindle, and varies by car & manufacturer.    

If you decide to go with the stock front axle, you should be able to swap the spindles over to truck spindles.  When I measured the kingpins, they came up the same.....so just put the truck spindle on, then you can run any of the truck disc kits.

I might have to do an axle with drop spindle options. To get the trans to sit where I want the engine has to be low. And to lower the car to where I want it the axle would have to be notched. Drop spindles would give me an extra couple inches too play with. I made my trans bracket today and tacked it I . But the poky bushing I am using is 3/4 of an inch too tall. So now I have to find a new bushing for it before I can make the motor mounts. I can't use the stock bushing because I can't get it far enough back without making all kinds if changes and re modifying the crossmember. So when I get the bushings there will be more updates. Also my grill is missing for some reason. Ha.