Scion FR-S reviewed against a Datsun 240Z

cdub42

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree that i think these people are to spoiled with modern cars i like the fr-s but if given the fact that i could have one of the baddest z cars on the planet for the price of one i would take the z any day of the week 

Nice article. I enjoyed the read.

I test drove the FR-S a few weeks ago. The foolish salesperson allowed me to take the car on a solo run. I ran the wheels off of it for about 15-20 minutes. Very nice capable little car. I turned off the stability control and it was easy to throw it into a controllable drift. It had good power and nice brakes. 

I have also owned  a few 240Z's and being the old curmudgeon that I am, I prefer the Z. It has more character. And it is an appreciating asset. And properly modified, it will run circles around the FR-S. 

My friends and I have been talking about the FRS, FT86, BRZ for some time now. Its been a big let down.

I mean its a nice car, definitely not best bang for the buck. I was just reading motor trend the other day, saw a nice track comparison between the BRZ and the focus ST..... the focus ST is a 2.0 turbo, fwd,5 door....

It out performed the BRZ in every aspect and cost less.

So not only do we pick the S30 over the BRZ, I feel like most people with interest in new sport compacts, will pick something else over the FRS BRZ.

I am a long time AE86 and z car owner, it would take some definite stripping down to build a new car that would feel as authentic as these rwd small 70s cars we know and love.

I didn't even really like the Z33. Hahah now I do...

Dey cheap :-D

• 3 weeks later...

So, instead of starting a whole thread, ill leave this here.

There is an old korean vet who lives in my complex, hes 70 or so, and the old basturd is crazy.

He usualy zips around on his hayabusa on sunny days, and his jeep the rest of the time.

Well he traded in his hayabusa yesterday, and got a scion.

Took me for a spin and I have to say, its alot quicker than I had imagined.

So these pi s are today, he got it yesterday and ordered the suspension, cold air intake, and exaust as soon as he go5 home , so by next friday it should be alittle quicker still.

20130309_154605_zpsa4c85e2b.jpg20130309_154556_zpsd603741c.jpg20130309_154541_zpse50fdd3e.jpg20130309_154530_zps3763b011.jpg20130309_154522_zpsf17e92d0.jpg20130309_154446_zpsbb150435.jpg

It pulled harder than any zcar ive ever ben in.

Way harder.

I know it's very similar but I like the Subaru version much better.  Nicer lines, no stupid boxer piston on the fender, the "first ever" as Toyota likes to claim.  Maybe if they consider the car any bit a Toyota considering the only Toyota part on it is the DIS system.  The rest is Subi.  I'd still probably take the Z, and I'm not even a Z guy. ;)

If I were going to buy a little four banger sports car I would buy a Focus ST. It clobbered that Scion in testing!

See, now you are just comparing apples and oranges. The Focus is FWD, the FRS/BRZ is RWD... I dont want FWD...

• Like 1