4wd 720. rust is natures weight reduction

.sunlover

glad its working for ya, i think i remember that driveline nut when i did the trans haha, knew it would run great for you, ran great up until the accident, and even after, glad its living on, look in my signature for the story on the truck made up by another member

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

As usual, everything is running great, so I dissapeared off the face of ratsun, in favor of driving the datto. This update is because during these nearly trouble free times, it feels like somethings missing, and yeah, its you guys...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Its been great and nearly trouble free for a whole oil change worth of miles. I've got the early 720 carb that had a hidden fuel mix adjustment screw, it already had the plug removed and was about 1/2 turn rich. Mileage went from a scary bad 13mpg to about 17 which is good for the less efficient separated transfer case. Fuel pump is weak, even with the return plugged, the bowl empties out anytime I need to stomp and hold it down for a bit. I carry curtis' old pump with us, just in case the pump seal completely fails. I can't tell you how nice it is to go a whole month without a motor or tranny swap/rebuild, in some contorted, unrealistic amount of time. I just wish I got it all set before my mind and body broke down, and I lost a pretty good job I had at Betts. Now I get to hustle for it again, work twice as hard for sometimes less money, but its all okay, because, well, DAMNIT! BECAUSE DATSUN!! Because driving a datsu, and making it sing, makees me sing...

Since that fuel pump is obviously bugging the shit out of me, I change it out, released the vice grips holding the fuel return, massaged the hose back open, and now the float bowl doesn't go empty, no matter what is done to the throttle. Good times were had again.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, went to n portland pick n pull, and got a passenger side trim piece, rubber bumper that was only 1980-1982, and the 80-82 front bumper in perfect condition :). I couldn't find a tail light, but I did a fair job with the super glue repair. You can't really tell that it was shattered.

Well, went to n portland pick n pull, and got a passenger side trim piece, rubber bumper that was only 1980-1982, and the 80-82 front bumper in perfect condition :). I couldn't find a tail light, but I did a fair job with the super glue repair. You can't really tell that it was shattered.

I seen that almost perfect early 720 bumper a while back, it sure was in nice condition.

• Like 1

Oh, btw, if I went and got the good set of turn signals, and put them in the bumper, it would have been the same price. I asked, but was too lazy to go back and get them. They were on that diesel 720 that looks mostly complete (under all that moss, and oxidation)

Oh, btw, if I went and got the good set of turn signals, and put them in the bumper, it would have been the same price. I asked, but was too lazy to go back and get them. They were on that diesel 720 that looks mostly complete (under all that moss, and oxidation)

Did not see a diesel 720 in there, I might go take a look at it in the next few days.

The bumper was already missing the turn signals as I recall, but not positive, but it was a very straight bumper, the only imperfection i seen would be where the license is mounted, and the plate would hide it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I really thought id make it through an oil change worth of miles without needing anything major, but the throwout bearing started chattering. I had this weird problem happen 3 or 4 times, where the clutch started to slip, and I had to release the pressure of the slave cylinder through the bleeder, pump it back up, and its fine. So, the tob was probably always riding the pressure plate a bit, causing premature bearing wear. Bearing started howling bad, and the clutch slip got worse, and needing pressure bleed off more often. Luckily, I stripped the fuck out of Curtis' rollover, and the 84 system had an extra bleeder, mounted on the firewall. I don't know for sure, but maybe there's something in that valve for pressure relief. Anyway, such a freak problem, and in a 4wd, you pretty much have to dissassemble the whole underside of the truck to pull the tranny. The job was entire clutch system. It was 16 degrees when the slave puked out its guts, and it stopped moving itself....

My shop was taken out by a landslide way back in the 96 flood, but I've dug out a bit of the old concrete slab to work on rigs on, but again... 16 FUCKING DEGREES! ...oh, hell no.... called my buddy with the tow dolly, and my boss with the mech shop and my big toolbox, and made arrangements to work indoors, and not on customers stuff so we can have our wheels back...

I constantly had to take care of customers, but, managed to get it done, but the clutch was about 1/2 pedal. Replace curtis's slave, no difference. Turned out the master push rods are 2 different lengths, so when I swapped the rods, we again had a DD, and I'm hoping for a few oil changes before I need to fix anything else. Oh, btw, not too bad when you're juust doing clutch, and not pulling the tranny all the way out. Just the back mounting bolts of the front diff, t case left in place, and plenty of room to slide it back far enough to swap the clutch assy.