Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMG_20130216_132928.jpg

That's the before...

IMG_20130216_152037.jpg

[

After.

IMG_20130216_145126.jpg

The right side headlights were out or their adjustment guides, so the faded grill had to come off. I ended up fixing the lights and adjusting them

IMG_20130216_150231.jpg

Didn't have a slide hammer with me, so got creative, and pulled the hole that holds the bottom pin of the grill in up to hold it like factory...

Funny thing is that I've never owned an lz, or anything with the bell housing clocked with the starter higher, but still somehow had the right tranny in my Datsun parts storage :-) . so what if its just a 4 speed, I'm dropping it in tonight after work.

With both trannys out and side by side make absolutely sure they are the same. You have a Z series so that 4 speed must be as well or it won't work..

See that casting rib that runs along the top of the transmission and up the 'bell'? See that bolt hole just to the right about an inch? This is for a Z series (and will fit a KA too)

LansZtrannybell003Large-1.jpg

See the rib on this one has the bolt hole about an inch to the left side? This is for a L series

LansZtrannybell002Large-2.jpg

Just remember "Left Is L Series"

Thank you. Yeah, I thought I had the right tranny, but its an l 4speed. Forgot to mention that, I wish you were closer mike, I need a 5speed made for 4wd. I hope the 720 4wd I saw in the weeds is for sale and has a good one. I want the intermittent wipers and maybe the steering column for my 521

The tailgate all clean, and a right side shot... I had to beat the hell out of it with a hammer and piece of wood to get the body lines to even be this close. I wish this truck could talk, tell me why it had mud inside the lenses, and especially why the oh shit handle is practically ripped out of the roof, and shaped to fit a tight fist.

Here's what you do..... Take the front case off the four speed and swap the 720 front case on. Now you have a working Z series 4 speed. The only problem I can see is the reverse light switch may not work.... can you live with that untill you find another L or Z 5 speed?

Here's the possible problem. The 5 speeds usually have the reverse light switch in the forward position as in the picture below. You can see an unused boss just to the left beside it... some transmissions have the switch here. The transmission will work but the light switch won't.

FS5W71Breverseswitchlocation.jpg

Yeah, I can live with that, even rewire the backup lights to work. My concern is 3 things, 1 its a royal bitch pulling all the shit off just to get to the tranny swap, so I don't want to do it twice, and the other is I couldn't get the bell housing separated on the 5speed more than 2 inches, and 3 id like the same gear ratios as the 4wd for the reason you gave me before, the tall crawling gears when I go 4 low.

Okay, followed this thread. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/8809-how-to-remove-tranny-front-case/

Fucking genius :-) ! So, 1975 280z 2+2 tranny. I'd plate on that car "says". 175 HP. Tranny should be strong. Same bearing sizes, so literally just pulled lz24 case, and switched it onto the 280z 4 speed :D. Rear main seal looks bad, gonna replace that. Drill holes in the bad one, screw the slide hammer to it, and remove. Install carefully with a hammer. Any opinions on if I should use my l20b 17.5 lb flywheel and nearly new clutch and pressure plate? Oh, happy presidents day off :-)

I am surprised the case didn't explode looking at it, there are no teeth left on that main shaft gear, I would seriously look real close at that front case before I ever used it again.

Personally I don't see how it is possible to take all the teeth off of the gear like that, it must have made some serious noise destroying itself.

Cleaning parts today, bell housing, etc coming to work with me. Probably gonna put the tranny back together and wait for seals tonight. Hope I get my free CB antenna today, I put the stereo antenna through the fender yesterday,

Looks good I think.

The power steering pump I think is missing the lower bracket, and PO broke a bolt off in the block, so its getting welded today, and my alternator wasn't even bolted down, just thought the adjuster, so I'm getting a bolt for that today too. Seems like the deeper I get into it, the more I have to do. Amazing it even carried me 30 miles...

dude. Congrats... Solid axle it... do it. If you break anything on that front end. You will regret it... I bent my tie rods, (both) running a logging road, and playing in the snow. it was like $500 to rebuild it. Was cheaper to SAS... I love my truck after i did it, and am secretly trying to get more datsun owners to do it, so that we can take over the Toyota scene... Lol...

Im all down for doing SAS to take down the yoders. I strongly dislike them!

My gf is a yoda girl, never wheeled one, or OUR 720 :-) YET! She LOVES this one though, I'm thinking shell come around, but she says no. I still need to see if I'm good of road too, never wheeled yet. Anyway, finally assembled the tranny today. I broke this, trying to get it out, because the other one broke...

IMG_20130220_190700.jpgIMG_20130220_190656.jpgIMG_20130220_190634.jpg

many thanks to dezs dad Ron for the driveway use, and welding that thin of metal. Its some kind of oiler to lube the top of the gears behind that center section.

Much less silicone than usual, like from the factory, nice smooth surfaces, blah, blah,...set it in like this....

IMG_20130220_202120.jpg

I have front and rear seals to change, and a rear main, flywheel and pressure plate. Robbing it off my 521s old l20b, 20,000 miles, 17.5lbs flywheel with new ring gear.

Off topic, stroker l20 being built for my 510 finally. That car needs road. Nuff said.

So, now I has 720 4 speed :-)

IMG_20130220_212656.jpg

BTW, there's a method to my madness, its not much to get a not drive able 720, rust free. I want this purring, and I'll get a body later. Its good to go when I install this, and I have time to find another body, get this otherwise perfect, then bodywork/paint the new body to bolt on, then, camping/snow/offroad rig waiting. Of course, this is after my gf gets her next vehicle.

Damn I lost track of this thread. Yup the main counter drive is fucked as it can get. You would only have 4th. If the Z series front case is good it will work on the old 280z 4 speed.

The reverse switch was OK?

Now the only thing left is correcting the speedo gear. Trust me pre '80 and post '80 speedo gears are not compatible and cannot be swapped. If they are the same color plastic then just put back and leave it alone. What ever you do don't mix them up. If they are different color (number of teeth) the 720 one can be modified to fit in the z tailstock to keep your speedometer accurate.. 

IMG_20130220_190634.jpg

Oil trough, very flimsy but needed to gravity feed oil to the rear of the tranny. Fix looks good!