4wd 720. rust is natures weight reduction

.sunlover

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, got it. :-) so, been looking for a backup rig for my 521, and so my recently Datsun converted gf has a rig waiting for her to get licensed and insured. This came with a spare motor, transfer case, front axle, hood, carb, and driveshafts. It was in Springfield, daily driver status if you believe the add. Drove it around the block, its cold blooded, needs tuning, lots of rust, I'll have to get a cab and bed eventually, but running and driving, and ready to drive back to Oregon city, so 800 and I drive away title in hand parts in back.

IMG_20130210_123432.jpg

30 miles later, the tranny blows, just cruising the freeway at a constant speed.

IMG_20130210_130825.jpg

IMG_20130210_145508.jpg

Hehe, its lighter... Probably. Good to know though, and thank you for the tip about if I have 4th gear. I didn't have it when it happened, tried 4th and nothing, but its working now, used it to pull the drive line to the transfer case after I dropped those drivelines.

dude. Congrats... Solid axle it... do it. If you break anything on that front end. You will regret it... I bent my tie rods, (both) running a logging road, and playing in the snow. it was like $500 to rebuild it. Was cheaper to SAS... I love my truck after i did it, and am secretly trying to get more datsun owners to do it, so that we can take over the Toyota scene... Lol...

• Like 2

I guess I skipped the "epic story" but this is the build thread, so I

Il just say we got the uhaul, dolly and truck stuck in a ditch on a country road 45mph speed limit around a blind corner. We managed to pull the Chevy van, dolly, and Datsun out with a ford excursion that stopped to ask if we need help...

I pulled the transfer case, and discovered I did have 4th gear, so its the tranny for sure.

Funny thing is that I've never owned an lz, or anything with the bell housing clocked with the starter higher, but still somehow had the right tranny in my Datsun parts storage :-) . so what if its just a 4 speed, I'm dropping it in tonight after work.

• Like 1
I guess I skipped the "epic story" but this is the build thread, so I

Il just say we got the uhaul, dolly and truck stuck in a ditch on a country road 45mph speed limit around a blind corner. We managed to pull the Chevy van, dolly, and Datsun out with a ford excursion that stopped to ask if we need help...

I pulled the transfer case, and discovered I did have 4th gear, so its the tranny for sure.

Funny thing is that I've never owned an lz, or anything with the bell housing clocked with the starter higher, but still somehow had the right tranny in my Datsun parts storage :-) . so what if its just a 4 speed, I'm dropping it in tonight after work.

Was a F-350 diesel lol

So it came with this weird rake. I'm wondering... Is this a performance design, or did someone crank up the torsion and never get around to putting a block in the rear. I can make lift the rear for free, I work at a suspension shop, just don't want to downgrade performance.

IMG_20130216_105245.jpg

So today, I'm stalled on the tranny swap. Just bought the truck and had to tow it home, so besides not being able to find a 4wd 720 30+" tranny on a budget, I decided to clean it up and find out if there's a Datsun underneath the oxidation and full on rust...

Went to harbor freight and dollar tree and blew 50 bucks for cleaning and getting all the lights working hopefully...

Here's a tailgate before picture...

IMG_20130216_132952.jpg