4wd 720. rust is natures weight reduction

.sunlover

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ill have to post oics later, it was late when I got my jy schwaag together, but I scored the back seats and belts, heater vents in perfect shape, egr system conponents (ya I got deq), window regulator, hood window pisser head, ebrake cable, and a right side trim piece for the rain gutter, but I was having a brain fart at the time, and grabbed the standard cab one, it of course is too short. I got an amazing deal, so hehe, other than what I've got on order at vatozone, I've got everything I need to have a complete truck now. Even got the seats n belts in black. Gotta say, id forgotten what its like to actually find everything I need at the jy, not so easy with my 521...

Well, after chasing the parts Friday, it was dark, and I was ready to get started on a half assed rebuild. 80,000 mile motor I was told.bearings and rings are good. Changed freeze plugs, and started on the valve seals, Saturday, pulled a few things off the bad motor. I had to go do my buddys yardwork, got back late, started at 8:30 and ron came out awhile after to help. Timing chain guides were ate up, got a new timing set, put the oil pan on loose, head too, front and rear seals, set timing, torqued, etc, got the bad motor pulledand the best starter, water pump, alternator ready, somewhere in all that, brian showed up and helped for a bit until we chased more parts. Hadn't ate anything but vivarin all day by then, we had badass bbq, and as it sits now, the good motors sitting less than 6"from its new home... ill see how it stabs in halfway fresh and not too late in the evening tonight... whatta weekend, all worn out and heading to work for a break lol.

Motors in, just gotta hook it back up tonight... put my envirosystem back to stock, valve timing, oil pimp/dizzy, timing, carb tune, not as much as it sounds like, but probably be too late to fire it when I'm done tonight. Who knows though....

Hehe!! Started right up, sounds great, like stock id say, environightmare hoses n valves are going, little front cover oil leak, gonna "patch" it, just gasket, also the first time I didn't slather my front cover in rtv :( ..... maybe I had the right idea there all along. Just not so it balls up on the inside n ends up in the rad n heater core... they warp much in the z24 or in general?

Well the oil leak is fixed, the rear seats and belts are installed, the door hinges are changed, and I'm waiting on brake drums and spring kits... shaping up into a great, happy little 4wd. It appears the 2nd set of plugs are firing, just weakly, idk why, they were all dead before, ill just say that its coming back to life. Is it weird that the odometer runs backwards, I've taken on a new bad attitude, my enemies keep dying, and the rust is shrinking away, and the paints brightening itself? Lol, jk.....

Brakes, kits, and drums are going on tonight, assuming the drums show up today. Did a cap and rotor, the terminals for the 2nd set of plugs looked a little rusty from not being fired for so long. I love how it fires right up and idles never touching the gas. Its a huge improvement from how it was when I got it. I tuned the blown motor to be pretty smooth before it blew, but nothing like it is now. That's all ill say before I dislocate my shoulder patting myself on the back :)

And I gotta hand it to my girl... no e brake, 3 engines, a front diff, blown up tranny, transfer case, all in back w a flywheel and clutch set, she learns to drive a manual... ina b keepin her for life too... :) she badass, and deserves no shit from anyone. You here?

We drove it up timber, I found the power band, I was really impressed. Half assed z24 set back to factory operation never struggled up that long twisty gravel and dirt road :) the only bummer is when I tried 4wd, I noticed the rear end has way taller gears than the front... damn. Ill run them out and check my spare too, if its the wrong ratio too, I have yet another thing to fix. I feel safe taking it distances now though. It goes, stops, and holds the road excellently, steering is plenty tight enough, if anything, it has a little flex, definately not slop. Tight on the road, slight adjustment on bumpy ass logging roads, nearly new condition. Used the back seat, it wasn't comfy for our passenger, but it did the trick. 4 seater 4wd.... I'm. Happy with the results.

Okay, finally a question... I've seen it on another 720... passenger side headlights are dim, worse with brights on, any ideas before I troubleshoot it myself? I'm thinking a ground issue, there's power bleed into the brights...

Nothing?! Really? (Sigh) fine, ill chase it out, been working for me so far. Maybe ill do a write up if nobody knows. Ill definately tell the guy with the 720 4wd next door to my work wassup, exactly the same problem.

It was just the connection in the fuse block. Low voltage, changed that fuse, cleaned the others and a little vasoline and no more power bleed or bright side dim side bs. Fixed the license plate light, welded a body panel, oh, fixed the dome light, that was interesting, soldering in wires where the circuit sheet crap that broke was. I siliconed in some stops where the tailgate used to have rubber. White lithiumed the clutch and brake petals. Just some little touches here and there. The front diff that came with the truck is the same ratio as the rear end I have. I got the oil in it and ready to change, just haven't done it yet, I wanted to get the daily driving gripes handled first. I um, think that's all I did, seems like I'm forgetting something, but that's about it.

• 1 month later...

tranny rear seal....

Well, people, I'm a shitty liar, so its time to come clean. A few weeks ago, during dez n my homecoming, (long story) I had stickerbrush to clear, so having no tractor, the best I had was my 720. There is video, fun was had, but there's a drive I took bry for that I don't remember. Bry spun a bearing trying to be my raging, racing mad max version of myselfs right hand...

I'm so sorry bry...

Half assed new rod bearings with nothing but emery cloth and blue threadlock with barely okay looking plastiguage readings. I had moving to do, and a 1200 lb dumprun. He carried his tow dolly back to its owner, hauled an assload of weight, with a trailer, was a real trooper going about 1500 hard summer miles before doing what is supposed to happen when you run with a bad crank, and rod, only lucas tipping things in our favor....

But wait, there's whispering about a ratsuner by a "guest". There's a 4wd 720 with a dead body and living motor and ttranny.

Da77un, you're a lifesaver, with a little elbow grease, my 720 will beat with a strong heart, and my 2+2 will be a straight 6 4wd.

As agreed, there will be oic rich updates, and a new thread...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So, I met curtis, nice guy, truck looked like it rolled in the worst possible way, but 4 rollers on it and made it home just as night fell. He told me it ran great, so I was thrilled it did, when I grabbed a battery and drove it up into swap position. Saturday morning, I had 2 motors to pull trannys still attached, a carb, and manifild to change out, then. 1 install. Shit got hairy when the trannys were different lengths, but a painted center console, carefull carpet cutting and patching, and just had to change the t case, and drivelines. My front and rear ends were already off a newer model, so that, at least went smoothly. I needed gaskets, oxy acteylene torch. Fuel, and joey was working, so it was so awesome amanda had our backs too. 20 bucks, and a quick safety class, and everyone was happy. Torch was because a nut on the driveline was so rounded, I was stopped until that was cut loose. Yada yada, ...work, and its better than its ever been since 3 motors ago in february when I bought it. Just to be clear, the tired beast barely moved people in february, its 10x better than it was when I got it. .....I've gotta work on oics, photobucket is going white screen whenever I wanna post oics, I should "proove". Very soon... if you take people at their word, ill say, now my gf has to be careful not to burn off the tires :)