4wd 720. rust is natures weight reduction

.sunlover

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, you were right, just wiggled the 4ways until blinkers started working again. No oics of that. But.......

IMG_20130312_212949.jpg

The right front brake hose was twisted so bad, I don't see how fluid could get through, not to mention it looked ready to blow. So....

IMG_20130312_212957.jpg

Changed both fronts. I'm sure you all know that you change the pair, an old hose will flex more than a new one, you can develop a pull, or worse, blow the older weaker hose.

Now its ready, and safe for a tin can :-) .

That just leaves the engine. Starts right up every time, but needs choked a little, and a little gutless. Manifold is solid glowing red at idle, secondary 4 plugs aren't firing. Because of the different timing depending on if you're using an l series dizzy or the lz, I'm thinking I get the second 4 firing and it should be fixed. I mentioned the missing vacuum lines too, haven't even started fixing the motor yet, I wanted road ready first. Besides, I had the tranny off, and couldn't start it anyway. I'll use the extra daylight today to fix on it some. All I've done to the motor so far is bolt the alternator the PO just had hanging on the tensioner, weld the power steering pump so it isn't loose too, tighten up the belts, change the oic

, filter, and clean the air filter. Oh, it wasn't getting to temp, so I found the thermostat slipped down and was bypassing itself, and fixed that. Ha! I got heat now.

I did interior work last weekend. Pulled the seats out to get them moving on their sliders again.

IMG_20130317_153411.jpg

The mat was dirty, so were the seats.

IMG_20130317_163006.jpg

IMG_20130317_163023.jpg

Freed up the seat tracks, had to grind down a weld, smooth a rough part in on, but white lithiumed them really well also.the drivers seat mount was broken at his weld.

IMG_20130316_113821.jpg

Welded that up. The girlfriend cleaned the mat. Its cold and damp outside, so after I scrubbed the seats with degreaser,

IMG_20130317_204017.jpg

I fire dried them

IMG_20130317_221053.jpg

No oics, but I checked the timing, one set of plugs firing, and it was at 0. Well, without the second set firing, you time it like an l20b. Bumped up the timing, and the motor came to life. Went from a chugging idle to about 2500rpms. Turned the idle down, and set it again, now you can stomp the gas and it doesn't try to fall on its face before it revs. It belched some unburnt gas, then cleared up. Exhaust Mani isn't glowing red hot anymore. I haven't driven it like that, but I do believe that its running like a raped ape. I also bought some vacuum line and added what I could, making a list of missing enviro systems. Junkyard trip soon.

Just about ready to show the fimished interior, but until then...

Built this at work today. This is the easier setup. The air ride takes me a bit longer. I wish I could have my toolbox at work, and home. Work so much faster when I'm not searching through my little rat packed box.

IMG_20130321_141913.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

There is no done, only continuing, Lol. Today I decided to get the exhaust plugs firing again. This is my first enviro restore, but before I head to deq, I want it as the factory intended it, and I have my doubts if all the bypasses and open hoses are a correct delete. I mean an open hose could be a vacuum leak, and need plugged off, or if something plugged needs to be open to run as intended.

IMG_20130406_114110.jpg

Starting, searched for info, using the wiring schematic to wire it back up.

I plan on just wiring the separate wire to ground myself, I can't find a wire that leads to it from the harness.

IMG_20130406_114200.jpg

Kind of a weird coincidence - I just stuck my camera underneath our distributor this morning, trying to help this guy with his questions. 

This was more distributor related than coil, but I could easily go take some more pictures.  I took our coils off the other day to paint that bracket, so everything's laid out in the open.  Ours was built /7 of 85, sold as an '86.  I don't remember if you said yours was an '85?  Shouldn't be much difference as far as coils and wires.

That ground wire that's supposed to connect to the bracket underneath the vacuum advance was its own separate wire, not part of the distributor bunch.

Let's see if this helps you any.  I parked the two distributors in their positions relative to each other, and loosely connected their signal wires and dizzy cables.

P4060016-1.jpg

Well the truck side of the harness plug has been eliminated, and there's no white wire. The schematic shows the path of the ground wire that's separate, but I have no idea what the white connects to. The truck is an 81, but the motors an 85.

Stuck for now, waiting for advice, so moved on for now to the ignition switch.

IMG_20130406_124234.jpg

I think its a 280z switch, obviously doesn't fit right, acc does nothing, start doesn't turn the starter, so I got a generic one, and a plan...

IMG_20130406_125357.jpg

The horn doesn't work with the wheel either.

IMG_20130406_125423.jpg

IMG_20130406_130112.jpg

Keeping the washer from spinning, so it doesn't turn when I go to start it.

IMG_20130406_140752.jpg

Plugged in, I didn't want to butt connect these wires, its good to be able to yank the ignition if anything shorts out.

IMG_20130406_140829.jpg

The starter button the PO installed is now the horn button.

And wouldn't you know it, I didn't take the final oic of the install, but trust me, it looks much better.

It works perfectly, I now have an ignition that starts the truck, and a working horn :-) .

Why break-out a welding machine to weld clips just to hang leaf-springs on.?.?.?

I found my 81 after it rested for 7 - 8 years. The wrench who did the carb-work

did some work for me. He told me while it was there he "drug it out of 14 inches

of sand and weeds with his wrecker-truck to take it to his shop. Built the carb'

and dropped in a new battery. Put some gas-O-line on top the carb and it

fired right up. Oh yea. It was there because I didn't pull the front hubs off

"before paying for it." Missing lock-splines, VeRy wOrN bearings etc.

I pondered a solid axel, for a few moments. Then it would just be a yote

or sneep grangler.

I was patient, looked near and far., found all but one little peice needed

to re-establish the inDePendent axels. A local drive-line-specialty shop

provided the only bearing I was not patient-enough to locate as a

nissan omf part. Now 3200 miles later it's still skipping right along.

PS I draind the gas-tank and rinsed, but still need to replace fuel

filters about every 350-or-400 miles. There are now 4 in series.

Man is norther Nevada's dust fine or what.

Filter changes have stretched out-a bit from 100 -150 miles.

PSS Congratulations on the 720 find and grab dot-sun lover.

Don't try to use 235-75 15 tires unless you like round edges.

That's another story, learned the hard-way.

dude. Congrats... Solid axle it... do it. If you break anything on that front end. You will regret it... I bent my tie rods, (both) running a logging road, and playing in the snow. it was like $500 to rebuild it. Was cheaper to SAS... I love my truck after i did it, and am secretly trying to get more datsun owners to do it, so that we can take over the Toyota scene... Lol...

Glad you got your horn working there.

I'll pot some photos of the dash and consoule.

The second night my 81 720 sat out front it looked like

someone was tring to drive it off. I went outside, the doors were

all loked, but the headlights were on. When I shook the door

to try the locks the lights went out. . . duh.

Inside the combo switch the contacts were so corroded

I opted to do something similar.

Toggle switch for parking-running lights,

toggle switch for headlights, lowbeam,

toggle switch....well you get the picture.

The key starts and locks the wheel and the wipers work fine.

Everything else has NAPA switches or momentary buttons.

All in All I think I dId a fair one-handed nAsCar-wiring-harness.

And working ignition and horn button...

IMG_20130407_121406.jpg

Kind of a weird coincidence - I just stuck my camera underneath our distributor this morning, trying to help this guy with his questions. 

This was more distributor related than coil, but I could easily go take some more pictures.  I took our coils off the other day to paint that bracket, so everything's laid out in the open.  Ours was built /7 of 85, sold as an '86.  I don't remember if you said yours was an '85?  Shouldn't be much difference as far as coils and wires.

That ground wire that's supposed to connect to the bracket underneath the vacuum advance was its own separate wire, not part of the distributor bunch.

Let's see if this helps you any.  I parked the two distributors in their positions relative to each other, and loosely connected their signal wires and dizzy cables.

P4060016-1.jpg

Now Thanks to me seeing the plot-line here I snapped a couple pics too and there are

dangling wires. Where do those suckers go. . . . . ? Looks like the lead from the

distributor is not connected. Hum. I wonder if the timing advance is not working

after-all....Could help pep.! Back to the schematics for me too.

Glad you got your horn working there.

I'll pot some photos of the dash and consoule.

The second night my 81 720 sat out front it looked like

someone was tring to drive it off. I went outside, the doors were

all loked, but the headlights were on. When I shook the door

to try the locks the lights went out. . . duh.

Inside the combo switch the contacts were so corroded

I opted to do something similar.

Toggle switch for parking-running lights,

toggle switch for headlights, lowbeam,

toggle switch....well you get the picture.

The key starts and locks the wheel and the wipers work fine.

Everything else has NAPA switches or momentary buttons.

All in All I think I dId a fair one-handed nAsCar-wiring-harness.

That's funny. I just got back from vatozone to address the po's wiring "fixes". My headlights go weak on the passenger side, and theirs power transfer to the high beams on low, but first, a separate fuse block for the invading wiring.

IMG_20130407_141613.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I bit the bullet and got dez going... got her license/insourance/truck/registration, and tought her to drive stick.

She is a natural! Truck has 2 motors, transfer case, front diff, tranny, 2 flywheels and other shit adding up to 900 or so pounds in the bed and she towed the load around like a pro!

Its funny, the driver and truck got road tested at the same time, and they both made me proud.

• Like 1

so i see you built semi axles for your job, where do you work? i got a buddy who does that and he lives in milwaukie

. Well, that's not all I do, but is his name Rod? There's just us 2 mechanics now, but he lives more towards gladstone.

So on Thursday the 25.. It was an awesome day.. Woke up early, an got ready to drive the 720 to Oregon City from Cornelius to grab the break kit for the back n breaks for the front when I decided hey lets stop by the store, grab something to drink for the bestie an I. Been only my third day driving the 720.. Picked it up right away.. Drive smoothly.. Best friend an I bullshitting an stating "wow you drive good n picked up really quick, my dad jerks the truck all the time an he's been driving for years!" I laugh an we get ready to leave the parking lot. So start up the truck an it all goes smoothly.. Temp is right, no noises, had fluids n all.. Bout 2.5 miles down the back roads while getting ready to shirt front third to forth .. The head blows. So let it roll up the hill instead of being stuck in a valley on a back road where people don't pay attention.. I pull over n shut it off.. Smoke barreling outta the back n under the good.. Not panicking mind you. An calming down the best friend as she tries to get hold of her husband(who knows nothing bout vehicles).. Look an the temp gage ain't working.. Now it won't start .. Call my father an our friend Brian.. Who they both drive out.. Waiting bout an hour for both of them, just is two girls an i get out n trll her i put the truck in neutral an now we need to push it as far off the toad as possible.. an she trued n doesn't get far at all, so I tell her when I say go you push with everything n starts pushing on the dash n the door suddenly I yell stop!! Tell her use the frame on the truck so we push n push n I'm turning the steering wheel n get it off the road while people drive by seeing two girls stuck on the side of the road an no one stops... Well than one man stops n says you need help n I said "well yea gotta push it more off the road I don't want the back of my truck hit." N so he helped.. Ant hills all over n just couldn't get it over the biggest one! So we just sit n walk around n wait.. freaking out my bestie with stories n such n gave random thoughts of what would you do if an old man popped out from the behind the barn n 2 seconds later what do you know! it happens she freaks an sprints to the truck n gets in. ollz laughing hysterically i calm her down.. than finally they both show up! pop the hood n check the spark plugs n guess what water got in the head! so they Diagnose it, an dad ties a rope n Brian hops in the 720 n dad get in old yeller(73 f350) n pulls it down. Starts up n Brian races it to my parents house. Calls up .sunlover while he's at work n informs him on what happened to the truck.. N they come back n pick us up. So now we gotta take in the head in the back of the truck n see what kind of condition it's in.. Which were hoping is good! So now after Bry (720) sounding happy n running we have a broken down truck once more! Nothing we can't fix.. Just a bummer. I want my boy back!! The smiling gleaming on my face is a frown! But ill have him back! There's the latest update!