VG30DETT Possible?

720_KID

Ok so i got a 86 720 4x4. I've been thinking about doing a VG30DETT swap on it since i found a working motor with ECU and wiring harness for 200$ so i thought it was a good deal. But i need to know if there is any way that that it can be fitted into the truck. and if so what modifications would i have to do to it.    Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh sweet!

Anything is possible if you have time,money,and some fab skills to make it fit.

Basics of any motor swap:

1. Motor mounts
2. Tranny Mount
3. Crossmember/Oil pan
4. Cooling

5. Wiring
6. Shorten Driveline

Not to sure what tranny you could use to keep it 4x4

This is one of those swaps, that is ill advised. Sure attempt it, finish it, have fun. But realize, by the time you start the truck again, it will be a considerable amount of time later, and lots of money, and probably going to be quite finicky. At that point, there will be plenty of other engines you could have completed, for the same or less money, that are going to be more reliable, and still give ample power.

If I were you, I would find a single cam KA24, and turbo it. It will bolt up to your stock tranny. but you would probably need to deal with the exhaust clearing the driver side torsion bar...

This is one of those swaps, that is ill advised. Sure attempt it, finish it, have fun. But realize, by the time you start the truck again, it will be a considerable amount of time later, and lots of money, and probably going to be quite finicky. At that point, there will be plenty of other engines you could have completed, for the same or less money, that are going to be more reliable, and still give ample power.

If I were you, I would find a single cam KA24, and turbo it. It will bolt up to your stock tranny. but you would probably need to deal with the exhaust clearing the driver side torsion bar...

I agree with this.

On that engine alone, you are going to be $1000 deep in just maintenance parts before you even get it the truck. If you go cheap with that engine, it's not going to run right. You will spend all your time trying to work through the gremlins. Before that you've got some serious fabbing to do to even fit that in the truck. Forget about the 4x4. Even if you got it to work, the engine would probably destroy the rest of the drive train. Is it possible... yes. Is  it feasible, no. This is one of those projects that usually ends up on craigslist forever and then goes to the scrapper.

And for $200 you should count on that engine to be complete trash.. unless you've seen it run and have compression numbers plan on rebuilding it. That is going to on top of the $1000..

I agree. If this was your brothers car and you drove it to see how well it ran I would not count on it being road worthy. Buy and sell the parts to get your money back. This is very likely a $200 anchor.

Some things to ponder...

You don't mention a transmission, so finding an FS5R30A for it will cost 4 times what the anchor did. Have you seen the 5 speed? It's huge like a 45 gallon drum. The output spline is larger than the 720 so that will need to be added when the driveshaft is modified.

Not much room for turbos and pipe plumbing on a 720 with torsion bars AND a 4x4 front end.

The DETT will need a custom oil pan to clear the front differential.

This thing will need an extensive rad and where the hell will the inter coolers go?

I doubt the T-100 trans case and the C200 differential will stand up to the abuse.

Ya vg30i/e was an option for the hardbody. Short of a show car I see no point to a vg30dett in a 720. Sell it for profit and put a more appropriate motor in there. 

Hardbody probably already had the VG30E in it to begin with.
It was a KA, but having a single cam VG wouldn't have made it any easier. I'd love to have one in my 4wd HB but reading that thread awhile back made me flush that dream. I may go that route on my 2wd HB though.

Although he did complete the install in a 4wd truck and still has functioning 4wd, I wouldn't hesitate to say its almost impossible to do. He's the man for making it happen.

Your wrong "alabama lowlife"? Jesus... but ya wrong. vg30e/i option in the hardbody as previously said.

I had a 89 kc, that I dropped a vg30e out of a z31 (Replacing the stock vg30i) with headers and a patched up exhaust... was the funnest PU I have ever owned lol. Took anything I could throw at it.... besides rust anyway. 

VG30I and E are completely different beasts than a VG30DETT, did you read that guy's thread on hybridZ? It says right at the beginning that he had a KA in it. The point I was trying to make was that even if his truck had a VG30 in it already, the install would not have been any easier. It's not a drop in swap. He had to lengthen a truck VG30 oil pan to put on the motor.

Could have sworn I saw a 4x4 with a vg30 turbo of some variation at Canby or Bluelake this year, but it was mounted behind the cab. This actually sounds like a worse idea than stuffing a VQ45 into a 2 door dime. If it is a 4x4 why not go the KA route? Or even a yota motor, many many off roaders are very happy with theirs.

VG30I and E are completely different beasts than a VG30DETT, did you read that guy's thread on hybridZ? It says right at the beginning that he had a KA in it. The point I was trying to make was that even if his truck had a VG30 in it already, the install would not have been any easier. It's not a drop in swap. He had to lengthen a truck VG30 oil pan to put on the motor.

Didnt say it would be easier or anything related to that. You said hardbody was just ka24 and thats wrong. A needed correction so people don't read the thread and think thats the case, vg30i and vg30e were common.  It makes a difference to the topic, the hardbody has the room for a vg30det/t with some work. Does a 720? I dont know, guess anything can work if you make it... 720 doesnt seem that much smaller then d21 in my opinion.

I am very familiar with Ryan "that guys" build. Think every hardbody owner drooled over it at some point or another.  I've owned the truck and a bunch of vg30de/tt's lol. Its all been said already, silly swap. Short of a wow factor show car it doesnt make much sense any way you look at it. 

+1 on a $200 vg30dett most likely being a POS, this coming from a guy with a 90 tt z32.

i wouldnt trust the turbos on that thing, and replacing just ONE with a stocker is $600+

http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_36_113&products_id=90

plus all of the fab that would go into shoe horning that thing into the 720s bay

as well as putting that much power into that truck, i'd wanna strengthen the truck throughout, which is at least

a few more grand...

Didnt say it would be easier or anything related to that. You said hardbody was just ka24 and thats wrong. A needed correction so people don't read the thread and think thats the case, vg30i and vg30e were common.  It makes a difference to the topic, the hardbody has the room for a vg30det/t with some work. Does a 720? I dont know, guess anything can work if you make it... 720 doesnt seem that much smaller then d21 in my opinion.

I am very familiar with Ryan "that guys" build. Think every hardbody owner drooled over it at some point or another.  I've owned the truck and a bunch of vg30de/tt's lol. Its all been said already, silly swap. Short of a wow factor show car it doesnt make much sense any way you look at it. 

I didn't say all hardbodies just had KA's in them....I said that truck did. I wasn't wrong, and it did not need correction.

And it's on a heavy ass 4x4. A sort of race horse pulling a loaded wagon

You know whats sad mike? Unless I'm wrong I have the 720 4x4 at about 3200-3300lbs? Thats LIGHTER then a stock z32 TT in at about 3400lbs lol. Though the 720 would prob weight more after the swap lol a vg30dett and all its bs are like 2.5 napz's in weight. 

Add that to the curve of a twin turbo 3 liter is all wrong for a 4x4 truck. The band is pretty high I would think actually for argument sake the naturally aspired vg30de would be a better choice since its tq curve is almost linear across the board and starting low in the band vs the TT which doesnt get max tq until like 4.5-5k ish. Compared again with the napz's which get max tq before 3k. 

IDK its all moot though. We know its a silly swap, the motor is prob shot if it costs 200 bucks since thats a crack head price, the project will prob never get done etc... take the pic lol. 

You know whats sad mike? Unless I'm wrong I have the 720 4x4 at about 3200-3300lbs? Thats LIGHTER then a stock z32 TT in at about 3400lbs lol. Though the 720 would prob weight more after the swap lol a vg30dett and all its bs are like 2.5 napz's in weight. 

Add that to the curve of a twin turbo 3 liter is all wrong for a 4x4 truck. The band is pretty high I would think actually for argument sake the naturally aspired vg30de would be a better choice since its tq curve is almost linear across the board and starting low in the band vs the TT which doesnt get max tq until like 4.5-5k ish. Compared again with the napz's which get max tq before 3k. 

IDK its all moot though. We know its a silly swap, the motor is prob shot if it costs 200 bucks since thats a crack head price, the project will prob never get done etc... take the pic lol. 

A Z32 is HEAVY. That's one reason the stock brakes are awful..   Most people don't realize how heavy they are unless you own(ed) one.

Ya totally true, I got my 1st n/a when I was 19 and I didnt know a damnt hing about what it weighed. Found out when I had to stop and again when I broke traction. When I got a TT it was so much worse, its a pig but also with the power to really get into trouble fast lol. 

And generally speaking swapping a DETT into a NA Z32 is a bad idea unless you like spending lots of money. Cause it's more cost effective to sell the NA Z32 and buy a TT than buy an NA and buy everything you need for the TT swap. Seen it done many times over.. And many times over it's cheaper to buy a TT.

Only exception to this is swapping a TT into a convertible Z32 since all convertible never came with a TT option in the US.