PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

barricade88

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bump the timing up to 12 degrees maybe even 13 10 isnt far off but you will be surprised at the difference it makes especially considering its an outlaw carb which if im remember right is a 38/38 and isnt progessive so it is probably getting to much fuel as well as the timing being low 

What you should do next is stop blaming the spark plug gap. Either they are at 30-35 thousand/inch, or they are gapped smaller (which is a problem)

> after changing my distributor, it ran great!!! But still kinda dies but the carb needs to be adjusted. And I think I should put the old jet bak in. I had a 140 in it but right now it's a 130

YES! Put the original jet back in. Then adjust the idle speed and idle mixture. Do not set it "two turns out" -- which is incorrect way to do it.

What you should do next is stop blaming the spark plug gap. Either they are at 30-35 thousand/inch, or they are gapped smaller (which is a problem)

> after changing my distributor, it ran great!!! But still kinda dies but the carb needs to be adjusted. And I think I should put the old jet bak in. I had a 140 in it but right now it's a 130

YES! Put the original jet back in. Then adjust the idle speed and idle mixture. Do not set it "two turns out" -- which is incorrect way to do it.

I am the one with the wrong spark plug gap in my truck, I am the one that brought it up because I saw that info looking for the distributor timing, I guess since I put the matchbox in back in the mid 90s, I have gapped them incorrectly in all my gas engines

Not if you rearrange the wires.  The rotor will still be pointing in the exact same direction, you're just turning the body.  You leave the wires in the same respective locations, though because the cap only goes on one way you will have the move all the wires to their opposite points on the cap.  But if #1 is in front, it'll still be in front. 

You just unbolt the BASE (not the dist body) from the timing cover, turn the whole thing around, and bolt it back.  You keep the rotor in the same relative position (it's supposed to key in only one way, so maintain that).  Then swap the wires around.  The distributor doesn't know which cylinder it's firing.  It just fires every 90 degrees,