PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

barricade88

I need to decide wether or not I should buy this Nissan truck and put the z24 motor and rear end in my 78 Datsun 620. I have an original l20b in it but want better performance and better mpg. What should I do? I'm paying $500 for the truck and 600 for labor. Ill get some back when I scrap the truck. Is this a good deal or what. I'm 18 and need to know what is best. Thank you

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely not worth it. The Z24 has about the same peak HP as the L20B (at 5000 rpm). Z24 does have more HP in the lower RPMs, but if just rev up the L20B it'll move out.

Tall gears make less RPMs on the freeway. Sounds like you have short, steep gears. That's what gives the most acceleration. But I think you are guessing at the RPMs. It's probably doing 3500 at 50. Put your foot down and let it rev up!

Labor cost isn't un-reasonable. Depending on the list agreed on.

Run a compression check on your l20b ... if good ...

Cam it ... side-draft it ... and have fun !

KA if you have money , skills , tools , and time to spare.

Engine conversions are always more work then we think they are going into it...

Sounds like what you really need is a 5 speed. I can cruise pretty comfortably at around 80 on the freeway with my L20b and a 5 speed. You can also get a closed chamber head which does give noticeable gains in power. Oh and about mpg's haha I get around 26 on my combined driving also thanks to my 5 speed and other small upgrades

Yeah, and if I Flore it my truck puts out and dies. Like the carb is getting too much fuel... Idk..

I don't know a lot about down draft carbs, but I likely can take a look at the truck.

The rearend is an easy fix, if it actually needs anything done, I am doing about 4000rpms at 70mph, I have 437 gearing, do you know your gearing?

What does "puts out" mean?

Does it back fire out the carb, did it back fire out the carb before you put the new one on?