PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!

barricade88

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We re did the timing chain about a year and a half ago when I got in a wreck. New gears and everything. It ran strong but it started backfiring out the carb

well that says soemthing!!!!!!!!and you put another carb on there and the same.

I only you kow if the chain is coorcet per the timming marks. if GOOD, then ck the other stuff I have mentioned.

My L16 with a mild cam with a 38/38 would do 80mph and has a 4.37 gear ration so you know its spinning up fast. L20 is a longer stroke but think you could do 70mph pretty ez

Yeah, timing is dead on, carb was brand new, an I have a 140 in it an bills Datsun in Clackamas out a 117 and it ran a little better for the co2 or CO but the bogging continued. And it's running very rich. I had gas in my oil. And yeah wayno I can swing by tomorrow

I will pm you with my address and number, call me tomarrow after 9am and we can set up a time.

pull out your spark plugs and read them, by read i mean if they are black and sooty its too rich. and start with the basics. new plugs. they are cheap enough to just grab a new set, dont bother cleaning the old ones. check your timing with a timing light. is your vacuum advance hooked up and working properly? what ignition are you running? points? if so check or replace those. are you running an air filter? is it dirty? check your valve adjustment. check your compression. then report back.

pull out your spark plugs and read them, by read i mean if they are black and sooty its too rich. and start with the basics. new plugs. they are cheap enough to just grab a new set, dont bother cleaning the old ones. check your timing with a timing light. is your vacuum advance hooked up and working properly? what ignition are you running? points? if so check or replace those. are you running an air filter? is it dirty? check your valve adjustment. check your compression. then report back.

I was thinking the vacuum advance as well.  If he installed the 38/38 himself, maybe he didn't route the lines correctly.