1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

as promised pics of the red truck ... both are running good ....... took his for a drive and its pretty stout ...... heres the pics ....'

null_zps910668a6.jpg

null_zps6ef8bb10.jpg

null_zps5f1efa03.jpg

gonna throw the roadster air cleaner on here since my su's are on hold for now ....still gonna make a v2.0 for both trucks... but for now

• Like 1

in the last pic ... u can see the two half moon reddish brown marks on the inner wheel wells ... that's from tire rub...mine has it too .... makes a nice template for where we are gonna have to trim out the inner fenders for more clearance ...... the only rub on real big whoops or running two larger gentleman I the cab......so the next two things on these trucks is replace the carrier baring crossmeber with a tube member that's removeable I think ........ and also relocate battery to bed so the inner fenders can get more love ....battery will end up in passenger front corner of bed under the floor with possibly a similar cover that is like the one that accesses the fuel tank wiring ....or just upside down under the bed with under side access...

side note ... never retimed my truck withthis carb was running at 0 degrees of timing ... set it to 12 and the fucking truck rips.....

so my question whats is everyone running for base timing on there l20s.......12 seems pretty good but still might tinker with it some .......12 rid me of most of my throttle bog but the carb still needs rejetting .... but fuck the thing rips tire in the first 3 gears...

so lets here it whats your timing set to on your l series .. .don't make me go start another thread lol

the valve cover is vented on both trucks  that way ....the crank case breather is open right now...behind the intake ...gonna run some kinda filter.....but im clueless...u tell me wayno and I will change it ....green truck timingat 12 right now might try 13 .... my truck was set at 0 for some reason but I think I never timed it since the su's and there ill runability....so I noticed a huge diff... hans (red truck)was at 9 and bumped to 12 but I think his su's need a different needle too ...

I have never seen it done that way, it might work fine.

I do believe that the case vent has screens inside the block to discourage oil from escaping into the intake, via the PCV valve, but the valve cover has no such screens, so any oil making its way up that hose will go into the intake/cylinders and have to be burned off, but that is the way it was stock, so it would possibly be a wash.

The whole idea of the PCV valve is to keep the case clean of moisture, I am unsure of how well it will work the way you have it, it is supposed to have the block vent going to the PCV, and the valve cover vent goes to the airfilter, the valve cover vent flows both ways, when my engine is at idle, it blows out of the valve cover a little, but when I give it the gas, it sucks in, at least that is how my LZ23 is acting, so when it sucks in, it is getting filtered air.

well great news ........ the oil leaks .... fixed one with a new oil pressure sending unit.........dropped my ka oil pump to try and fix the others .. think I may have fixed one there too ..... less oil still leaking .....SOOOOOOOOOO... pulled the alt to see where it was coming from .. ran the truck no alt no belt ....... fucking front cover has a pumper on the alt side ..... leaks like a sieve.........so ghetto sealed it temporarily........ still needs fixed but slower now........also noticed the back left corner of the oil pan is leaking too where I didn't hammer the flange back level.... always hammer your oil pan flange flat ........using the right stuff makes me have to use a pry bar to get the pan off and I have put that fucker on twice now with out addressing the flange on the pan ...... ima fucktard ........ SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO guess what .. the easiest way to address this issue is to ............you guessed it pull the fucking motor on more fucking time ..........hans suggested we swap the goon l20 in but this motor is a strong runner with a little smoking not really much ...........don't really wanna use the goon l20........ I now it will go ka but maybe not this round .......so for now the l20 in the goon stays .....so this weekend gonna rape the motor out one more time I hope and fix these leaks ......jebus Christ .....fml

hans cut out the carrier bearing cross member as its the major dragger now and replaced it with a new square tube one ..... phone was charging while I made love to my oil pump so I forgot pics......but no more cross member hanging down ...... also installed a push button parking brake as the rear discs and ride height wont allow for the mechanism to be used and or hooked up even .......so im interested to see how this gate valve work as a parking brake .,.....my goon will have no parking brake so I need something and a push button is interesting