1971 Datsun 521 Snack Shack

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This shit's coming right along and looking good dude!  :thumbup:

Heretic's question had me wondering as well, so I dug through the thread on my 521.

Ours is on the passenger side too. 

Before1.jpg

Hard to see, but it's sort of visible in this shot of it starting to cross over toward the bottom of the pic.

IMG_3492.jpg

You guys are not alone my exhaust goes out the passenger side as well

hahaha right on .....  I've just never noticed that until looking at jrocks pic it had me curious.   

LOL... they all do. Its because of the gas tank. It crosses over for clearance. 

BTW jrock... those titans look SWEEEEET tucked in so close to your frame. 

thinking about going with a gear set too ...phixius recommended 3.88..any one got a h190 kicking around with 3..88 in it ... I got my stock wagon diff... anyone got a link to a spider gear swap .........wonder if I can buy the right spline spiders new?

I would like to take this oppurtuniity to thank goldfish101(matt) for coming over and helping make the bed removal possible .....I didn't mention it earlier and am now paying homage...thanks bro the guy time was fun .. .sorry we only had 4 beers between the two of us....lol..micro buzz

BTW jrock... those titans look SWEEEEET tucked in so close to your frame. 

yeah that's a good 3/8 inch clearance...lol

so I guess I gotta figure out what rear end my goon has ... phixius has shared that the goon was a 3.88 in a/t form but in manual it was 3.7 or optional 3.88....I'm kinda hoping they are 3.7...im kinda a short shifter at heart anyway...so fun ....now I'm off to count teeth since I don't think a 3.88 and 3.7 will be discernible with a rotation count .....I have only used that technique in researching large differences like4.11 to 3.53 which would be pretty easy to tell ....fuck why cant they just stamp them on a tag like they used to ...either way the goon rear end is getting sacrificed for the sake of taller gears in the snack.....

well the easy typical stuff like ...

exhaust ....the 620 manifold  down pipe is way different then my existing so just gonna redo all of it I guess.....sigh....fix my timing to a more permanent setting... had to adjust the plate to get it to 9 degrees now...fix my pan I think its leaking along the back ... reinstalling it in truck hit a snafu and instead of double checking the seal I re set it and bolted it down.....it might just be residudal oil from when I oured it over the head ... I went a little fast once...thinking I need a different temp switch for fans ... 200/185 seems to be too hot for the location of the sensor....I wanna finish the motor so I can do the chassis stuff last ... thinking about adding a hitch...

truck runs strong though.......carbs are pretty ok ... still need some tinkering .. seem to be idling to high still....thanks adam ... I put new floats in this set of sus and they fired right up ... hoping they tune to a better idle and its not a air leak....

loading a video to post....

• Like 1

I would like to take this oppurtuniity to thank goldfish101(matt) for coming over and helping make the bed removal possible .....I didn't mention it earlier and am now paying homage...thanks bro the guy time was fun .. .sorry we only had 4 beers between the two of us....lol..micro buzz

• it runs....
  • theres things to address...

Haha, I was kidding about that but thanks, it was a good learning experience. I also learned I need to bring more beer with me to Hans....

It does run and it sounds healthy, work out the problems so you can come help me fix mine