HP???

73DATSON

'71 510 L16 (stock)

L16_dyno-1.gif

'71 510 L18 (stock)

klink50-stock-L18.gif

L21 (big bore L20B) (1971 510 - 5-speed)(RWD)
Stock stroke L20B. Z20 siamesed cylinder block w/L20B crank, VG pistons and Z20 6" rods. Pistons are full floating, non-bushed factory Z31 pistons - flattop w/~1cc dish created by the two cast valve relief's. Head is an unported W53 closed chamber, unshrouded polished stainless Z car valves (44/35). DAMB Cam w/Norris springs and mod'd keepers. Mod'd Z car spray bar, cheap-o header, Cannon "S" intake w/ 40 DCOE's, very worn black box dizzy.

L21-510-sfunk.gif

L22 "hybrid" #2 (1970 510 - 5-speed)(RWD)
126.2HP@6100rpm
123ft-lbs@3500RPM

LZ22 block, reworked & ported L-series head, DAMB cam, Electramotive/TWM induction

LZ22_hybrid.gif

L22 "hybrid"  #3 (1971 510 wagon 5-speed)(RWD) [Webmaster's wagon]
94.1HP@4750rpm
129.1ft-lbs@3000RPM

LZ22 block, reworked & ported L-series head, DAMB cam, 240Z (44mm) SU carburetors, closed chamber head. Running very rich suspect fouled plugs although engine seemed to run fine.

lum2_2wagondyno-su-carbs.gif

SR20DE (1972 510)
everything is stock except for the following:-
air filter.
somewhat less restrictive exhaust. splitfire direct ignition system.  370cc sr20det injectors (flowed 400cc/min according to rc engineering) programmable engine control unit for s14 silvia k's with sr20det (turbo variant).  the ecu program was left at default program from the manufacturer, meaning timing and air fuel ratio are better suiting engines with boost.
138hp @ 6800rpm
133ft/lbs @ 4800rpm

s14-sr20dyno.gif

KA24DE (Datsun 510 5-speed) [New 5/23/2004]
Stock except for necessary changes to make fit into Datsun 510
145hp @ 5700rpm
140ft/lbs @ 4200rpm

julian_ka24de.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'71 510 L16 (stock)

L16_dyno-1.gif

'71 510 L18 (stock)

klink50-stock-L18.gif

L21 (big bore L20B) (1971 510 - 5-speed)(RWD)

Stock stroke L20B. Z20 siamesed cylinder block w/L20B crank, VG pistons and Z20 6" rods. Pistons are full floating, non-bushed factory Z31 pistons - flattop w/~1cc dish created by the two cast valve relief's. Head is an unported W53 closed chamber, unshrouded polished stainless Z car valves (44/35). DAMB Cam w/Norris springs and mod'd keepers. Mod'd Z car spray bar, cheap-o header, Cannon "S" intake w/ 40 DCOE's, very worn black box dizzy.

L21-510-sfunk.gif

L22 "hybrid" #2 (1970 510 - 5-speed)(RWD)

126.2HP@6100rpm

123ft-lbs@3500RPM

LZ22 block, reworked & ported L-series head, DAMB cam, Electramotive/TWM induction

LZ22_hybrid.gif

L22 "hybrid" #3 (1971 510 wagon 5-speed)(RWD) [Webmaster's wagon]

94.1HP@4750rpm

129.1ft-lbs@3000RPM

LZ22 block, reworked & ported L-series head, DAMB cam, 240Z (44mm) SU carburetors, closed chamber head. Running very rich suspect fouled plugs although engine seemed to run fine.

lum2_2wagondyno-su-carbs.gif

SR20DE (1972 510)

everything is stock except for the following:-

air filter.

somewhat less restrictive exhaust. splitfire direct ignition system. 370cc sr20det injectors (flowed 400cc/min according to rc engineering) programmable engine control unit for s14 silvia k's with sr20det (turbo variant). the ecu program was left at default program from the manufacturer, meaning timing and air fuel ratio are better suiting engines with boost.

138hp @ 6800rpm

133ft/lbs @ 4800rpm

s14-sr20dyno.gif

KA24DE (Datsun 510 5-speed) [New 5/23/2004]

Stock except for necessary changes to make fit into Datsun 510

145hp @ 5700rpm

140ft/lbs @ 4200rpm

julian_ka24de.jpg

DAM IM GOING TO HANG MY SELF;-(((((

IMG_2066_zpsed8bfa40.jpg

No dyno sheets here, but I have enough of these to wallpaper the bathroom. My fastest time was 14.53. But of course I cant find that one. Fastest 60ft was 1.780

I would guess somewhere between 130 to 140hp.

Numbers are great and it seems most people are aiming for squeezing as much power as possible within their budget. I like the idea of big numbers in my dime, however as I have gotten to tune my 510 (L18) and ride/drive other peoples swapped 510s. I consider my 'wants' with my 'needs' and find myself leaning towards a more balanced build. Funny enough living in the NW I have not been able to drive or ride in many other L-series 510s. I bought my 510 with a obviously well used roughly running L18+Su's (L20b Cam), matchbox, dogleg 5sp, & stock diff. I have now tuned the engine, re-built the carbs, installed a 88' suby LSD, & an electric fan. I haven't timed my quarter mile or dyno'd but I will tell you it is FUN! I get up to freeway speeds faster than most other people without trying and keep a steady 70mph @ 4k in 5'th with power to spare. I dont race, drift, or rally my car but when a little fun is possible out in the sticks I can get sideways with no effort and just pulled off a 1080' with proper entrance and exit with no cones hit. I run bfgoodritch 205 tires front and back, and this little L18 roasts them! Admitting my desire for a little more gusto I am building a carbed N.A. KA24DE for the finishing touch on my dime before a 3 year road trip. I honestly love my Datsuns more than any other car I have owned. A street rocket sounds like a blast but these cars have a way of becoming a joy to drive/rally/race regardless of 'numbers'. So short of race specific or 'build it because I can' I think the most important HP is once you drive your Datsun and get "that" feeling! 

/Rant

• Like 1
Numbers are great and it seems most people are aiming for squeezing as much power as possible within their budget. I like the idea of big numbers in my dime, however as I have gotten to tune my 510 (L18) and ride/drive other peoples swapped 510s. I consider my 'wants' with my 'needs' and find myself leaning towards a more balanced build. Funny enough living in the NW I have not been able to drive or ride in many other L-series 510s. I bought my 510 with a obviously well used roughly running L18+Su's (L20b Cam), matchbox, dogleg 5sp, & stock diff. I have now tuned the engine, re-built the carbs, installed a 88' suby LSD, & an electric fan. I haven't timed my quarter mile or dyno'd but I will tell you it is FUN! I get up to freeway speeds faster than most other people without trying and keep a steady 70mph @ 4k in 5'th with power to spare. I dont race, drift, or rally my car but when a little fun is possible out in the sticks I can get sideways with no effort and just pulled off a 1080' with proper entrance and exit with no cones hit. I run bfgoodritch 205 tires front and back, and this little L18 roasts them! Admitting my desire for a little more gusto I am building a carbed N.A. KA24DE for the finishing touch on my dime before a 3 year road trip. I honestly love my Datsuns more than any other car I have owned. A street rocket sounds like a blast but these cars have a way of becoming a joy to drive/rally/race regardless of 'numbers'. So short of race specific or 'build it because I can' I think the most important HP is once you drive your Datsun and get "that" feeling!

/Rant

Praise the datsun lord....

i fully agree with logical1 if i was just in this for big numbers i wouldnt be driving a datsun. i drive it for the fun of it. sure another hundred or so hp would be fun but sometimes its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. i keep trying to explain to my wife why i have a 30,000 dollar truck sitting in the driveway and yet i choose to drive a rusted out, dented up, shit box with no power brakes, steering, windows, or anything else for that matter that can barely get out of its own way but somethings you just cant explain.

• Like 2
i fully agree with logical1 if i was just in this for big numbers i wouldnt be driving a datsun. i drive it for the fun of it. sure another hundred or so hp would be fun but sometimes its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow. i keep trying to explain to my wife why i have a 30,000 dollar truck sitting in the driveway and yet i choose to drive a rusted out, dented up, shit box with no power brakes, steering, windows, or anything else for that matter that can barely get out of its own way but somethings you just cant explain.

Nice and well put. I have a 100k BMW 750li. I park it and take out the datsun and stay out my wife don't understands that the datsun is more of a car to me then the bimmer;-))

I'm not after big numbers -- so say the guy that has a small number

EricJB has the big numbers. 14 second quarter mile smack deep in Muscle Car territory (60s muscle cars were 13 to 15 second cars.

Datson73, don't sweat meeting "200" goal -- 205 HP is what the low-14 second Mustang GT had with 3200 pound car. You don't need that much HP to beat a new Camaro with your 510. 175HP in a 510 will smoke 'em.

the G tech was closest to stock figures. I was pretty impressed that something that plugs into a lighter would be that accurate, or that the dyno would be so inaccurate? lol 
---------

Yes, I have a G-tech, works well if you set the launch angle right. RW dynos are notoriously innacurate. They are precise though so two back to back runs are near identical. Buy two RW dyno almost never agree (accuracy issues).

I'm not after big numbers -- so say the guy that has a small number

EricJB has the big numbers. 14 second quarter mile smack deep in Muscle Car territory (60s muscle cars were 13 to 15 second cars.

Datson73, don't sweat meeting "200" goal -- 205 HP is what the low-14 second Mustang GT had with 3200 pound car. You don't need that much HP to beat a new Camaro with your 510. 175HP in a 510 will smoke 'em.

Yea with the right motor? I'm trying for 200 HP on l20b and it since to cost to much to get it there? That's y I might change it for a different motor.

I used to watch people driving old cars when they could obviously have and afford a newer (faster and latest style) one. My friend in high school had an MG Midget. They weren't that common, and they weren't the Big Three for sure, but when you met another on the road you lifted one or two fingers from the wheel pointed them straight up, a sign that you and he understood as a salute. Like a secret hand shake, a wink and a nod shared by a brotherhood of MG owners. The other cars on the road were beneath you.

So now I have a car make that doesn't exist any more and hasn't for almost 30 years and a model not for 35 years. I wonder if current Pontiac/Olds owners feel that way now too?. It's light and spartan and with some mods, handles and brakes quite well. Speaking of mods, it's cheap and easy to work on and modify yourself. It's not a Model A Ford but people find themselves staring, trying to remember where they saw a car like it before. Some remember them and wave, youngsters note that it's very retro.

• Like 1
I used to watch people driving old cars when they could obviously have and afford a newer (faster and latest style) one. My friend in high school had an MG Midget. They weren't that common, and they weren't the Big Three for sure, but when you met another on the road you lifted one or two fingers from the wheel pointed them straight up, a sign that you and he understood as a salute. Like a secret hand shake, a wink and a nod shared by a brotherhood of MG owners. The other cars on the road were beneath you.

So now I have a car make that doesn't exist any more and hasn't for almost 30 years and a model not for 35 years. I wonder if current Pontiac/Olds owners feel that way now too?. It's light and spartan and with some mods, handles and brakes quite well. Speaking of mods, it's cheap and easy to work on and modify yourself. It's not a Model A Ford but people find themselves staring, trying to remember where they saw a car like it before. Some remember them and wave, youngsters note that it's very retro.

Wow did you get that from a HALLMARK CARD:-))) I have a tear coming down;-(((

this a track only ride? you might not have over heating issues, but im sure youncould benefit your cooling sys with a diy "undertray"
Numbers are great and it seems most people are aiming for squeezing as much power as possible within their budget. I like the idea of big numbers in my dime, however as I have gotten to tune my 510 (L18) and ride/drive other peoples swapped 510s. I consider my 'wants' with my 'needs' and find myself leaning towards a more balanced build. Funny enough living in the NW I have not been able to drive or ride in many other L-series 510s. I bought my 510 with a obviously well used roughly running L18+Su's (L20b Cam), matchbox, dogleg 5sp, & stock diff. I have now tuned the engine, re-built the carbs, installed a 88' suby LSD, & an electric fan. I haven't timed my quarter mile or dyno'd but I will tell you it is FUN! I get up to freeway speeds faster than most other people without trying and keep a steady 70mph @ 4k in 5'th with power to spare. I dont race, drift, or rally my car but when a little fun is possible out in the sticks I can get sideways with no effort and just pulled off a 1080' with proper entrance and exit with no cones hit. I run bfgoodritch 205 tires front and back, and this little L18 roasts them! Admitting my desire for a little more gusto I am building a carbed N.A. KA24DE for the finishing touch on my dime before a 3 year road trip. I honestly love my Datsuns more than any other car I have owned. A street rocket sounds like a blast but these cars have a way of becoming a joy to drive/rally/race regardless of 'numbers'. So short of race specific or 'build it because I can' I think the most important HP is once you drive your Datsun and get "that" feeling!

/Rant

4k in 5th? is that knda high yall? im usually 4-5k in my 4 speed on the hwy
---------Yes, I have a G-tech, works well if you set the launch angle right. RW dynos are notoriously innacurate. They are precise though so two back to back runs are near identical. Buy two RW dyno almost never agree (accuracy issues).
how inaccurate or how much of a difference are we talkin about? i could deal with a +/- 5% margin of error :)
-------------About $5000
was bout to say same "thousands" especially since a 200hp na ka isnt all too common
this a track only ride? you might not have over heating issues, but im sure youncould benefit your cooling sys with a diy "undertray"

Yes , its only purpose is to get flogged at the track. With the L20 block (bored .160 over) being filled 1/2" from the top with grout, theres not much helping it in the cooling dept. The head and the top of the block has water flowing through it, and stays under 180. The rest is left up to the oil, that heats up pretty quick.