A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good morning Guy im ready to do the Front brake upgrades im trying yo remember the one I was advice earlier I think someone said the 280zx or the 200sx not sure but in any case I need the year of the donor car so I can get this done before Xmas any help is appreciated.

280zx or 200sx brakes are unlikely to fit the A10. What's involved is swapping to the 280zx strut which has the larger (much larger) caliper and larger diameter vented rotors on the hub. Chances you will need 14" rims to clear this caliper.

If you keep the A10 master cylinder it will have to move more fluid for the larger caliper so the pedal will have to travel farther and may feel mushy. I used a '79-'81 15/16" 280zx master cylinder to fix this. As you have a brake booster you won't notice the extra effort on the pedal.

'80-'84 Maxima struts will also work and have a different but larger caliper than the A10 plus the vented rotor that's a couple of mm smaller than the zx one.

You had better research this swap. It is easy enough with an angle grinder and a few tools but your A10 springs, top hat and lower spring perch have to be put on the zx strut tube so that it will mount to your car. It's almost a 'bolt on' but there is some preparation involved. The results are fantastic and well worth the effort 

The A10 uses a coil spring and separate shock absorber. The zx uses a strut that combines shock and spring.  Unlikely they are compatible or easily modified. The  Sept '81 and up zx had nice looking rear disc brakes. You would need custom rear mounts for the calipers......

What year zx?

5 speed?.... L series but could be converted for Z series or traded/sold

front struts... any year

15/16" master.... up to '81 only

gear reduction starter... will fit a Z series engine

50/60 amp IR alternator

NA engines had EI dizzy... 6 cylinder but could be sold/traded for cash/parts 

R-180 differential.... n/a and turbo automatics?

R-200 differential..... turbo

86mm flattop pistons.... non turbo.

Short 130.2mm rods.

Ah well the pistons are not flattops, the master won't fit, the headbolts are stronger and prized for use on other L series 4 or 6 cylinders, the distributor is a CAS and not much use for anything else. The oil pump is a high volume unit. Differential R-200 5.454 ratio, has the nice rear disc brakes

On the Turbo automatic...

This is the E3N71B (I think the E designates a heavier duty 3 speed that the regular 3N71B) it has 4 instead of 3 front clutch plates and 7 instead of 5 low and reverse drive plates. The brake band is much larger diameter. The ratios are...

3N71B

1st... 2.458

2nd.. 1.458

3rd... 1.000

E3N71B Turbo Model

1st...  2.842

2nd..  1.542

3rd...  1.000

As you can see, this turbo transmission allow the engine to rev faster to spool the turbo sooner. The E3N71B also has a modified valve body and special shift modulator valve and modified shift points.

Last of all, the E3N71B has a higher stall speed of 2,400-2,700 RPMs rather than the regular 2,000-2,300 RPM of the 3N71B. Again to get the turbo spooling faster.

Sweet, I know you like to hang on to stuff but should one end up being parted (green one maybe?) I am looking for a front passenger door, all I need is the tin all trim, internals and hardware I have.

the door i got is probably as bad as yours with some paint.

There will probably be one left over from this hatch of backness,,, except it is Napz

It is not in the brush anymore,, it is somewhere in the Olympia area at an undisclosed location known only to the accountants at the firm of Ernst and Winney

IMG_33551_zpss4xqnv41.jpg