510 Suspension and Strut Swap

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok sweet thanks, Im going to look into that, and is it easyer to find like lowering kits for the 280zx front suspension rather then stock 510

If we're talking adjustable coilovers, it's all the same stuff. It's usually based on the diameter of the strut tube which is the same. If you're talking about just lowering springs, you can NOT use 280ZX springs. They are too large in diameter to physically fit in the car. 

Also forgot to mention the 280ZX has bigger/stronger wheel bearings/hubs too. Also the inserts are way easier to find/buy, and the brake parts are easier to find/buy. 

When installed, the zx strut moves each front wheel in towards the car center about 3/4". If you have large rims on the stock strut this may cause the tire to rub the zx strut tube.

You can keep the 510 strut and have it shortened several inches and fit shorter zx strut inserts. (basically an internal shock absorber)300zx inserts are even shorter. It's a lot of work and the top part with the threads in it must be kept and a section removed further down and the top part welded back on. The drawback is you don't get better (larger) calipers and a vented rotor.

I replaced my 710 struts with a shorter Maxima strut from a station wagon. I only needed a couple of inches drop so it was fine and no cutting and welding. I shortened the stock spring to stiffen it. What I wanted was the calipers and vented rotors.

710strutupgrade004Large.jpg

• 6 months later...

Am I allowed to suggest our new member he may wish to:

1. Post future questions about suspension in the suspension thread, and

2. Use the handy search function located in the top right hand corner of this wonderful site?

Just tryinngto be helpful :rolleyes:

Seems to be a rookie question for someone with so many 510s...

Maybe he has wisely been spending his time hunting for 510s instead of living on Ratsun all the time like I do. :P Which is giving me the idea I need more 510s myself. I have just 3 Datsuns and only one is a 510. I very much have 510 envy of someone with four!

I can't remember why pre-ZX struts aren't considered kosher. I think it is the angle of the spindle to the strut, but could be something else. I just follow the gospel that says use ZX struts. Here is one thread I bookmarked on swapping:

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/34171-280zx-struts/

Len

I am running '84 200SX front struts. They are on par with 280ZX struts and they stick out a bit more than Z struts allowing for wider wheels with no rubbing issues. Not as easy to find as ZX struts, but, they are out there.

good info there..... the best gain is in wheel offset ... u can runs 0's with a little bit of massaging to the fender if u wanna go real low...zx s turn up for sale on here ... i think the going rate is like a used set for 160-180........then comes the fun part .....lots of info on the 200sx swap on ratsun too...

Yeah, Z car is WAAY more angle than a ZX.  Non-usable angle.  I believe it would cant the wheels into extreme positive camber?

I can't remember why pre-ZX struts aren't considered kosher. I think it is the angle of the spindle to the strut, but could be something else. I just follow the gospel that says use ZX struts. 

Positive camber and the strut doesn't actually bolt up to the steering knuckle. Nissan used a different bolt spacing on the S30 strut than pretty much everything else.   ;)

I have seen it done using the entire front suspension/crossmember/rack and pinion from a 240Z into a 510. But the fab expericence needed for that upgrade generally means you aren't the sort of fella to ask "how is it done?".   :P

the 280zx strut swap in a 510 is like the invention of toilet paper....

the invention of toilet paper, i can imagine it being a very very bland event, i can see someone going to take a shyster behind a tree and opposed to use those scratchy leafs which leaves bits and pieces on his behind he thinks to bring last weeks paper with him, so instead of leaf bits, he gets bits of the sports section on his keister instead. Thus toilet paper is born!

(do not take this as a historic recreation of the event, im sure its quite different in the history books but i will leave my version up here just in case someone used said history books when they ran out of toilet paper, the ultimate irony perhaps?)