Vehicle title legalities CA DMV

Hello i need help on solving my situation if you are familiar with dmv vehicle transfer please help me out. I got another datsun from my buddy its a 69 4 door with expired tags since May and its not put in non op and his room mate accidentaly threw away the title. He said he will write me a bill of sale for it. Now how will that work how can i get the title on my name im still going to put it in non op since it has a blown KA and i still dont have a replacement for it. do you guys know how much it will cost? Can i transfer the car on my name without registering it cause im not ready to pay for all the back fees on the registration. Another question is will putting it on non op wipe out the back fees on the registration lol? I still owe him 200 bucks i told him when i get the title il give him the money im worried il end up with alot of fees and still have to give him the 200. thanks (PUNCTUATION S!!! WE DONT NEED NO STINKING PUNCTUATION S!!)

I got this like 3-4 months ago thats why im trying to sell my goon

heres some pics cause i know you guys like pics

AF7D05E4-A715-4B33-91BB-1214971EA80D-415

3564F1A9-FF02-4FE0-847E-08B71FC9D4B3-415

08A48840-6D74-4128-BB70-58B220467B1C-415

• Like 1
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can find all this information by calling the DMV. You will use the signed bill of sale to apply for a lost title and have it issued in your name. About all the back fee's.... you are going to have to ask the DMV. I doubt they will waive a single penny.

You could also have your friend apply for a replacement title. Since hes youre friend I would personally go that route... its going to be easier to have him apply for a replacement and then sign it over when it shows up in the mail, rather than you going through all the trouble to file for a lost title. Then you wont even get a full title in your name for a few years as the transfer has to be "uncontested" for a certain period of time. And you will probably have to pay whatever they want in fees. Ive dealt with the Cali DMV numerous times and most of the branches Ive been to are assholes. 

• Like 1

Have the seller go to the DMV with you, clear all the back liens and missed registration fee, and pay him the the asked for sales price. You don't want to buy a "bargain" and owe a thousand dollars on it because he was an jerk. All he deserves is $200 after he has cleared all outstanding DMV fees and penalties.

Have the seller go to the DMV with you, clear all the back liens and missed registration fee, and pay him the the asked for sales price. You don't want to buy a "bargain" and owe a thousand dollars on it because he was an jerk. All he deserves is $200 after he has cleared all outstanding DMV fees and penalties.

I understand what you are saying that is the legit way of buying a used car, but this one is a different situation hes a good buddy of mine and im pretty much stuck with the back fees on the car he has no resources to pay that and im already getting the car on a bargain. I have another question can i put the car on non op anytime i want? like right now online? lol im looking on dmv site atm

Until the title is in your name you cannot put it on non-op.

Have the owner get a replacement title. He can the put it on non-op after he (or you) have paid the fees and penalties.

Then transfer the title to you, and you can put it in non-op.

There is no magic way around it.

i have been through a similar situation and can say for fact:

-you can not go to non-op status without first clearing back fees.

-once brought current on fees, you can transfer title without paying the current registration by doing a "title only vehicle transfer" (will probably require an experienced DMV clerk or supervisor)

-if you go with title only transfer, once the engine situation is solved and you're ready to drive it on the street, you have to pay the registration for that year... even if there is only one day left.  it is not pro-rated in CA so if you do it wrong you get to pay the non-op fee, and then the reg fee a few months later, and then a few months after that NEW reg fee for the next year.

I dig the car. Quit being retarded and pay the back fees. Can't be much. Only been since May.

preach on

I forgot to mention that with a lien sale, you don't have to pay all the back fees.

there are fees associated with a lein sale though

California laws are weird.

(I know, Mr Obvious here).

From what I can make out in the laws, it's not worth it to do a non-op unless the vehicle is going to be non-op for at least a year.  If you choose to register it before the non-op has hit a year, you'll be on the hook for the full year's registration AND it will expire as if it was renewed on time.

Also, if it's been expired more than 90 days, you can't non-op it for that year anyway.  So, you're stuck there.   You will have to pay the current registration and penalty, which gets you to the next expiration date (May 2013) in which case you can file non-op it up to 60 prior to the next expiration date, which is good until May 2014.

The problem is you're stuck with the penalties and back fees- and they will continue to mount until paid.  It's getting more expensive by the day.

So,  here's what you're going to have to do:

1) The title situation is going to have to be worked out.  He will have to apply for lost title and receive it (which likely means paying all the back fees) OR he's going to have to go WITH you to the DMV, and you'll have to pay all the back fees and current registration up front.

2) Find someone else to buy it in a State that accepts only a bill of sale and no title, like Georgia (due to its age they don't title over 25 years there).  A bit too far, I'd say.  Reason being, there's no way you're gonna ever register the car without the back fees being paid in Cali.

The thrown away title really screwed things up.  If the title was still there, anyone from out of State could have bought it.  Cali penalties don't apply in other States normally.  I was given a Cali truck once that had never been non-opped.  Owner would have been on the hook for 10X what it was worth, BUT he had the title.  I registered it in WA with no problem.  That MAY have changed, if Cali now levies civil liens, but I don't know.  But I don't know if the thing could ever go back to California.

Ok matters have been resolved i payed a total of $179 the title should be coming through the mail the lady at AAA also gave me an application for Affidavit of non use, the car is still registered till may next year and because im not putting insurance on it and i dont want them to terminate my registration on it then fine me $14 to get the registration reinstated. if i do get the car running all i have to do is show my proof of insurance and they will reinstate the remainder of my registered period. this is a learning experience it wasnt that bad. 

$138 - Back fees

$18  - lost title

$15 - title transfer

$8   - tax (bought the car for $100 -.o)

GRAND TOTAL I PAYED FOR THE CAR IS......................SECRET  :w00t:

Ok matters have been resolved i payed a total of $179 the title should be coming through the mail the lady at AAA also gave me an application for Affidavit of non use, the car is still registered till may next year and because im not putting insurance on it and i dont want them to terminate my registration on it then fine me $14 to get the registration reinstated. if i do get the car running all i have to do is show my proof of insurance and they will reinstate the remainder of my registered period. this is a learning experience it wasnt that bad. 

$138 - Back fees

$18  - lost title

$15 - title transfer

$8   - tax (bought the car for $100 -.o)

GRAND TOTAL I PAYED FOR THE CAR IS......................SECRET  :w00t:

138 in back fees is not bad at all...