OldSkool's 521 Thread...the Mad Idiots Journal.

oldskoolvws

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice write up.  I was worried about bore alignment with the hones, but I'm glad to see that it wasn't an issue.  Where did you order the hones?  Size?

I think all I have left to do is make the delrin washers.....I'll have to check.  Got side tracked saturday playing with my mill.....first time in 4mo?

• Like 1

I got them off Fleabay Mike. I had a few already, but not this size. For the kingpins, you need 20mm. Honestly, I think you can do this job well with just the 240 and 600 only.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-mm-Flexhone-Flex-hone-Brush-Research-240-grit-787-Aluminum-Oxide-Hone-/351358109198?vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-4-19mm-Flexhone-flex-hone-lifter-bore-600-grit-/371298318059?hash=item56731ab6eb&item=371298318059&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

Measured out the shims: .006" each, all the same size.

g7LC40.jpg

All the kits I've used have had .006" shims....and never enough.  I've since found and ordered a bunch(100?) .010" shims.  I figured a couple of those per side will make it so I don't have to reuse any old ones.

• Like 1

The shims?  Hmm....I'll have to look.....not ever sure where they are in the shop right now.  I'm not sure the hardness was listed.  It was a place I found online....tons of digging and a couple of emails.

• Like 1

Right?!

Hehehe.....

Well finished some of the 4Runner this weekend. Replaced the power steering pump and idler. Changed the upper and lower ball joints and bled the brakes. Found out that my front end is so loose that I need to replace the tie-rods too. Its pulling hard right. Oh yeah and need to change a a CV axle for the front...YAY! Broken boot...

• Like 2