OldSkool's 521 Thread...the Mad Idiots Journal.

oldskoolvws

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So it's no secret, I like to build, not buy. But in order to build, you have to buy. So I decided instead of reaming my kingpins to hone them. Bought $100 worth of hones and also still have the reamer set I bought. Just adding to the toolbox, just adding to the toolbox.

For this setup, I'm using the A.N.D. kingpin rebuild set. I have NOS Datsun and another A.N.D. set because hoarder I am. Figured if I was going to mess it up, best be the A.N.D.

So did some more kingpin work. Decided to hone myself. I went with 3 different ones, made quick work and the finish is perfect. I messed up when I ordered. I should have ordered all aluminum oxide, but I wound up ordering 2 silicon carbide. Still works great. Notice the color code on the botom of the hone. Took a picture for future reference. Didn't use the 120.

C8cIb3.jpg

Make sure you have the right tools; I used calipers, outside micrometers and snap gauges. (you can see actual shaft size measured on all three of these)

waffph.jpg

aWYUQq.jpg

Measured out the shims: .006" each, all the same size.

g7LC40.jpg

TWviOn.jpg

Clean pressed in bores. Not too bad of a job if you have the right tools.

t75GsL.jpg

kY2olM.jpg

No different than doing a motor. Use lots of oil, in my case 30 weight engine oil (dyno).

oaRyP6.jpg

Going deep :) back and forth, doesn't take but seconds. I skipped the 120, went straight to 240 then a quick touch with the 600. I was afraid I was going to have alignment issues from bushing to bushing, but as long as you hone straight, no issues.

oEQmH9.jpg

After a few stops, cleaning, measuring and fitting, just like a glove!

dPebsP.jpg

vhKSoU.jpg

Time to measure gaps. To make things clear, bearing on bottom with covered plate to top, smaller section to bottom. Shims on top.

VP7JCr.jpg

On this side ®, the gap is .034. The (L) measured .035. Measure and a very good idea to validate your measuring tools once in a while. In my case, dead on.

HUyrTv.jpg

2V818q.jpg

Here's my final measurements and shim requirements. Unfortunately the A.N.D. kit only came with 7 shims. I need 10. So either I'm robbing another kit or reusing the old one (in good shape). Haven't decided yet. I opened the bore on #2 slightly more so it within spec :)

xPgMqn.jpg

zAZ8Mv.jpg

So now I wait until my Royal Purple grease comes in and wait for MKlotz to finish my custom shock bushings :)

Also need new zirk fittings. Anyone know the size? I really want to drill the caps and put a grease vent in them so the grease pushes out at the king pin and the cap.

Also worked on this over the weekend too.

BAqAB2.jpg

WquC70.jpg
6MxoRP.jpg

And every once in a while, I'll take a quick peek at the Rat through the eyes of a Model S :)

wEco5U.jpg

• Like 4

Built not bought...for most of my shit :) Don't like weirdo's working on my stuffs.

Call me crazy, but I'm having fun rebuilding these things. Not bad at all when you have the right tools. Hardest part so far was getting the damn lock pins out of the kingpin. The lowers came out easy, the actual kingpin one sucked though.

• Like 3