OldSkool's 521 Thread...the Mad Idiots Journal.

oldskoolvws

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, nice Maxi, not a Bombardier, but still clean. I prefer the Magnum, got pics somewhere...that's deep archives. I still buy parts out here for my boys back home. Got a place in the city.

Still remember the night we was at Cambell's and some dude tried a sneaky pete on a Magnum. She went kaboom....funny.

• Like 2

Damn, nice Maxi, not a Bombardier, but still clean. I prefer the Magnum, got pics somewhere...that's deep archives. I still buy parts out here for my boys back home. Got a place in the city.

Still remember the night we was at Cambell's and some dude tried a sneaky pete on a Magnum. She went kaboom....funny.

Shane miyaki.

• Like 1

Hey let's catch this thread up. New pictures of something new like your dash lay out or engine compartment or ?

Been working on it. Debating on putting THAT ONE special item on the dash. Also working on motors stuffs. Not too sure what I want to do with the bay. I want to paint it, just not sure how yet. Its still original paint in there. Been thinking about hand polishing that with the patina and brake fluid drips to have a kind of stupid look in there. Not sure yet, don't want black.

• Like 2

So here we go. Decided to knock out the radio. Don't like the look of the aftermarket "retro" radio so back to stock I'm going. Wanted to play iPod though. So modification in order. Good old switch on the bottom should do the trick oldskool style :)

ADTqyO.jpg

Red wire is the one we want going to the potentiometer.

t9hmwL.jpg

Remove back cover.

wEw94c.jpg

iJ2QKY.jpg

Switch I'm going to use. ON-ON.

bMVxwS.jpg

Cut cable, going to use female side.

jLI4T6.jpg

Switch hole drilled and mounted. left stock hole in place for cable.

QgxBmS.jpg

Check clearance.

IPaylO.jpg

Gonna desolder from the potentiometer and board and add two new longer wires.

c5oFYw.jpg

Hardcore.

FSgKJG.jpg

Off.

oXSRj1.jpg

Must have.

SjAYLC.jpg

Longer wires added to board and potentiometer.

gTgfF5.jpg

Wrap around board.

zd2xJT.jpg

Bring out bottom. Make sure to mark which is board and which is potentiometer.

qHqzF5.jpg

Resistor (100ohm) for stereo to mono blend.

rpBJUQ.jpg

Tin cables but I cut these off and did again...yuck.

1m7dDQ.jpg

Soldering.

Zf3wnE.jpg

Center is back to potentiometer. Right is AM, left is Aux input. Note stereo blend resistor (lead on each side of resistor from input).

A4tCyI.jpg

Need ground!!!

P1TeZR.jpg

Bent and clear.

56ByQD.jpg

Close it all up and test :)

• Like 5

Hawaiian it would be Bruno Mars..lol. Very good awesome I remember working at team service fixing Alpines..

Man, Team Service, that was a long time ago. You remember Lawrence Decosta from Car Tunes? I used to get my Alpine lights changed there too. Wish I still had them, I have 7903S and 5903 that needs service.

Great write up!!  I'm guessing that along with the coat hanger antenna, you have fluorescent lights, too?

Actually Mike, I ripped out my T8 fluorescents and replaced them with 120V T8 LED's. Its a huge difference. Just a little expensive on the front end:

http://www.ledglobalsupply.com/t8-led-bulbs/4-foot-dimmable-led-t8-led-fluorescent-white-120v/

• Like 2

Very nice!  Are you fixtures have electronic ballasts or transformer? 

I've got about 15  2 bulb fixtures in my shop......that's about $1200!!!  Are they noticeably brighter?   Might consider then in a few key spots if they're brighter.

Man, Team Service, that was a long time ago. You remember Lawrence Decosta from Car Tunes? I used to get my Alpine lights changed there too. Wish I still had them, I have 7903S and 5903 that needs service.

Actually Mike, I ripped out my T8 fluorescents and replaced them with 120V T8 LED's. Its a huge difference. Just a little expensive on the front end:

http://www.ledglobalsupply.com/t8-led-bulbs/4-foot-dimmable-led-t8-led-fluorescent-white-120v/

I used to do all that. De costa oh yea car tunes is still there owned by Ritchie and Mike Damas or Morgado now runs MD glass tinting.

• Like 1

Very nice!  Are you fixtures have electronic ballasts or transformer? 

I've got about 15  2 bulb fixtures in my shop......that's about $1200!!!  Are they noticeably brighter?   Might consider then in a few key spots if they're brighter.

Yes, brighter. You completely remove the ballast and run direct 120V. They make much cheaper T8 LED bulbs, I just got these because of some of the features. I'll take a pic when I get home.

It took my garage from "okay" to "wow". Uses slightly less energy and I got really tired of my burnt end, yellowish bulbs. These are great.

• Like 1