OldSkool's 521 Thread...the Mad Idiots Journal.

oldskoolvws

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fitting stuff up. The caliper is rubbing so slightly on the back side, one each radius punch. I'm hoping the actual 620 bearing set will push it out ever so much.

3FXIye.jpg

bjG6eH.jpg

When I put two spacers on the hub, just enough to clear but not enough. I need to order them damn 620 bearings.

bjG6eH.jpg

The bearings better work after doing this.

vxviW0.jpg

Also dropping a few things in the ultrasonic tank. BBbbbzzzzzzz!

J8TPG0.jpg

4QjTmt.jpg

After the ultrasonic cleaning.

7Ic1Y1.jpg

• Like 2

The spacers are designed to keep the hub spacing the same with the 620 bearing as it is with the stock 521 bearing.  I don't think you're going to gain any clearance. :(  If you take off the stock 521 spindle spacer and put the new spacer behind it, then you'll get it to push out 2mm(approx) more.  It won't won't work directly behind the 521 bearing because of the cone on the spacer.  A good hardware store should have shim washers that might work.  That's what I used to make the coned spacers.

You'll just have to watch that it doesn't put your rotor too far out of center.   You're lucky it's hitting the bracket and not the caliper.  You probably should have gotten the wheel spacer instead of the bearing spacers.  I had no clue what you were doing with them. :(

• Like 1

The spacers are designed to keep the hub spacing the same with the 620 bearing as it is with the stock 521 bearing.  I don't think you're going to gain any clearance. :(  If you take off the stock 521 spindle spacer and put the new spacer behind it, then you'll get it to push out 2mm(approx) more.  It won't won't work directly behind the 521 bearing because of the cone on the spacer.  A good hardware store should have shim washers that might work.  That's what I used to make the coned spacers.

You'll just have to watch that it doesn't put your rotor too far out of center.   You're lucky it's hitting the bracket and not the caliper.  You probably should have gotten the wheel spacer instead of the bearing spacers.  I had no clue what you were doing with them. :(

Oh boy, more custom work, yay! Hopefully I can space it and make it work without modifying anything. Worse case, I'll run a rim shim and get back half of what we took off the control arm :(

10194770_dag_711916_pri_larg.jpg

• Like 1

My reamer didn't like to leave a nice finish.  Do you have a brake hone?  I pay $60/set and have them honed at a local shop that has the machine to do it.  The ream will work, but I wasn't too thrilled with it.  Finish is bit rough which means the bushings will wear faster. 

• Like 1

Mike I ended up using the 1/4" spacers on my 520.  The 1/8 was fine on one side but not the other,  I could grind the caliper but I chose spacers for now.  The wheels are stock 620 disk brake wheels.

Those stock wheels are all over the place.  Did you see the option I posted for longer wheel studs?  Did your stock studs work with the 1/4" spacers?

• Like 1