79 810 coupe rebuild

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they make manual trans 810's? If not, what clutch pedal assy can be used? Anybody on Ratsun done it? I assume the ZX 5spd would bolt right up, but would require a driveshaft mod........

Wow, nice Wagon! :thumbup:

Yes,they did.One would think that Z pedals would be a bolt in.They are not.810 pedals are all to themselves.However Z pedals can be made to work.I have it done as i'm about to do a auto/stick swap.The auto brake pedal is re-used,so all you need is a Z clutch pedal.The only thing i haven't scienced out yet is the mounting location for the return spring.

Hey Z, when I do a 510 auto-to-manual swap, the clutch pedal pivot point is already there, so the pedal bolts right in (sounds like the 810 is the same way??). Instead of swapping out the whole pedal box assy, I carefully cut the clutch return spring mounting L-bracket off of the donor box assy, and carefully weld it to the existing box assy, in the correct place. Gotta be really careful that you don't zap any under dash wiring, but it works out great!

More quenching head, Hm so its the better head? I think its harder to turbo the first gen 810 because the circulating ball steering setup. I don't think its a bolt on swap.

Its got bigger exhaust ports a few guys out on HybridZ like that head there really isn't a better head basically any head can be modified, port matched better cam, springs, & lifters. My 81 280zx has a L28ET swap with the stock circulating ball steering I just had to cut a tiny corner off the wastegate bracket. I'll take some pics so you can see, there's also a write up on the Internet I just followed most of that and HybridZ.

THe one i'm about to scrap was running and i put 60K on it.It now has around 280K on it.This one was running but had numerous issues which are about all resloved now.THe last 810 i saw is sitting on my ranch.DSC01549.jpg

Damn that sucks man its that bad huh, where do you live I would love to have it! :(

I was trying get a 77 810 wagon from a guy in Sacramento and he wanted to trade for my 280zx Turbo but then flaked on me.