79 810 coupe rebuild

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont want to thread jack ya, but this seems like the best place for my question with all the 810 talk going on here. My car has a miss and a stutter right around 2k rpm when driving, right when you start to accelerate. It will bog for a second, usually does like two back fires, then it will rev normally and drive fine when its at about 2.5k rpm. Ive noticed it doesnt do it as much after the engine gets hot and going, sadly Ive only put about 30miles on it in the past three months so it not getting fluids run through it much. Ive looked for lose electrical leads but everything seems tight. Does this sound like a timing symptom?

Dont want to thread jack ya, but this seems like the best place for my question with all the 810 talk going on here. My car has a miss and a stutter right around 2k rpm when driving, right when you start to accelerate. It will bog for a second, usually does like two back fires, then it will rev normally and drive fine when its at about 2.5k rpm. Ive noticed it doesnt do it as much after the engine gets hot and going, sadly Ive only put about 30miles on it in the past three months so it not getting fluids run through it much. Ive looked for lose electrical leads but everything seems tight. Does this sound like a timing symptom?

Could be time to change the Exhaust/Manifold gasket, if your worried about anything electronic clean up all the connections with some electric connection cleaner car being 30+ years old anything electrical can start to hurt the cars performance.

On another note looks like i found myself a 810 wagon :hyper:

• Like 1

I'm talking to the guy back and forth he called me like 3 days ago but I missed the call and decided to text him and he wants a 280zx and I want a 810 so I have what he wants and he has what I want lol. I don't know the year but I'm sure it's a 77 wagon it has the round headlights and needs some body work and paint, hes gonna send me pictures tomorrow!

I will start cleaning all the electrical connectors. I need to replace all the fuel injector plugs. Is there a new style replacement like the newer vehicles where you just squeeze and pop them off. The whole little metal retaining clip things a pain. Ive changed the intake/exhaust gasket, along with all coolent and gas lines on that part of the motor. Next on the list is metal shifter bushing and finish body work. Good luck with the 810 wagon that'll be a sweet project

I will start cleaning all the electrical connectors. I need to replace all the fuel injector plugs. Is there a new style replacement like the newer vehicles where you just squeeze and pop them off. The whole little metal retaining clip things a pain. Ive changed the intake/exhaust gasket, along with all coolent and gas lines on that part of the motor. Next on the list is metal shifter bushing and finish body work. Good luck with the 810 wagon that'll be a sweet project

GM connectors is what most Z car guys go with shouldn't be any different for the 810's since the engines are practically the same. Register on HybridZ.org they got all that covered there plus there was members on there with 810's coupes and 4 doors.

nismosilvia & others - figured I'd post this response to your running issue with your 810. My buddy is an ex-Nissan mechanic from baack in the 80's, so he's seen alot! Give this a go............

"Basically the 810 engine is a 240Z short block with early 280Z (not ZX) fuel injection system on it. Since the guy hasn't driven it much lately it could be cobwebs, water in the fuel, bad fuel ect. The first thing I would check is the two rubber accordian hoses on the airflow meter (AFM). You have to remove them and actually look at all the folds to see the cracks. This model is very old and having them leak will throw off the AFM and the signal to the FI, causing interuptions in injector pulse. Try that first, then add some Lucas Fuel injector cleaner. I use it in all my FI vehicles and seems to make every one run better and more fuel efficent. If there is no improvement he'll need to go through all ignition and fuel systems point by point. I had one of these at the dealership once, turned out to be a corroded connector underneath the AFM from a tiny water leak in the overflow hose. Took me 8 hrs to find it!

Hope that helps!

@yenpit. That's awesome thanks for in information. I'll put the pointers too good use.

It's interesting the fi systems different than the 280zx. When I took my intake etc apart I didn't take pictures lol , so when it came back to hooking everything back I forgot how certain things looked over a few week period of time lol. So I went to the jy found a unmolested 280zx to Ive never driven a z, and the 810s the oldest car I've owned or driven.

@yenpit. That's awesome thanks for in information. I'll put the pointers too good use.

It's interesting the fi systems different than the 280zx. When I took my intake etc apart I didn't take pictures lol , so when it came back to hooking everything back I forgot how certain things looked over a few week period of time lol. So I went to the jy found a unmolested 280zx and looked at that for help. I noticed it had a few different parts on the fuel rail then mine but very similar. So that explains the difference.

@Dat Lurka. Ive never driven a z, and the 810s the oldest car I've owned or driven. But the 810s a smooth car and fun to drive. It's defanetly has a sporty feel to it, and the power bands makes it feel fast lol. It's the kind of car that atleast to me makes you fell ok with driving the speed limit lol. Just knowing what it is though, I don't think its a great car for someone who's wanting to be on speedhunters, or a drifter.

You can slap all the turbo stuff from the 280zx turbo onto the L24E's to make a L24ET it's been done on the Datsun maximas they make good power and are pretty fast even though there a little heavier than the 810's. The Maximas have a more quenching head N47 head which people call MN47 to distinguish the difference the Z head thats also a n47. All you would need it's, Turbo, Turbo Manifold, Intake Manifold, injectors, ECU, AFM, J pipe & exhaust. The 810 wagons weigh 2800lbs that's pretty light for a wagon I can imagine a coupe or 4 door.